Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #21
DP_Steeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8075
Default Re: Accept It - Faneca Is Out The Door

Faneca can't be blamed for the falling appart of the OL this year, but he certainly has nothing to brag about - thank goodness for his previous years of success!
DP_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #22
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP_Steeler View Post
Faneca can't be blamed for the falling appart of the OL this year, but he certainly has nothing to brag about - thank goodness for his previous years of success!
Faneca blamed for the the entire line? No. Though I blame him for a number of sacks that he got burned for.

However, I thank him for years of work on our line. And a SB ring.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:49 PM   #23
MJ5150
Starter

Member Number: 3203

I won't accept that he is leaving until he does. I still think he will be playing for us until he retires.

-Mike
MJ5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:00 AM   #24
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
I won't accept that he is leaving until he does. I still think he will be playing for us until he retires.

-Mike
only if faneca settles for less than 8 to 9 mil a year. i believe the steelers offered him 6 mil per season.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:37 AM   #25
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?teeldude View Post
only if faneca settles for less than 8 to 9 mil a year. i believe the steelers offered him 6 mil per season.

Probably not even that much at this point, as some of the money designated for Faneca was given to Simmons. At this point, we have enough for a big contract (Ben), maybe one more big one, then some small ones (first round pick not including in this).

However, I will be quite upset if we pick up Faneca for anything close to 5 mill a year or more...

In my opinion... going towards the future, he just isn't worth it. He was in the past... but not now.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:21 AM   #26
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,303 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I think there is no looking back now he has done made his mind up about his carrer and it don't include pittsburgh.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #27
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Faneca will get the "Kimo von Oelhoffen" Special. Some team will vastly overpay based on what he accomplished in the past, and not on his eroding capabilities, and it will some ridiculously long contract, like 5-6-7 years. He'll take his fat pay day for a few years and retire.

He's earned that right, of course, but it's best that the Steelers not be the victim of throwing good money after bad, or, in this case, bad money after good.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #28
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Mahan played sparingly at the center position when he was with da Bears, but he is a natural guard. I saw with my own eyes at camp how strong this man is - he totally frustrated Big Snack when he couldn't move Mahan. You are right- some players can play either position but some just can't. I believe moving Mahan to his natural spot will be a good move and the Steelers will either draft a C or pick one up via FA.

Tomlin and Zierlein obviously didn't feel Okobi was starter material and Arizona didn't either - he was released in September by the Steelers and by the Cards in October.
Good observation. It will be an interesting off-season.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #29
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Faneca will get the "Kimo von Oelhoffen" Special. Some team will vastly overpay based on what he accomplished in the past, and not on his eroding capabilities, and it will some ridiculously long contract, like 5-6-7 years. He'll take his fat pay day for a few years and retire.

He's earned that right, of course, but it's best that the Steelers not be the victim of throwing good money after bad, or, in this case, bad money after good.
I wish we would have given Kimo the special last season. We could have used him after Smith went down...and he has got to still be better than Keisel in chewing up blockers.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #30
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Mahan played sparingly at the center position when he was with da Bears, but he is a natural guard. I saw with my own eyes at camp how strong this man is - he totally frustrated Big Snack when he couldn't move Mahan. You are right- some players can play either position but some just can't. I believe moving Mahan to his natural spot will be a good move and the Steelers will either draft a C or pick one up via FA.

Tomlin and Zierlein obviously didn't feel Okobi was starter material and Arizona didn't either - he was released in September by the Steelers and by the Cards in October.
First off, Mahan never played for da Bears. He played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as a Guard.

They can move Mahan to guard and he can sit on the bench while Simmons, Kemo or Colon start as guards

Just read this about Mahan on wikipedia:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
As a member of the offensive line on the Buccaneers, he was almost singlehandedly responsible for the effective end of Chris Simms' career, when he literally almost died in a 2006 regular season loss to the Carolina Panthers.
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote