Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Community > Introductions

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-13-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148
Default Does this board have therapeutic value?

"POP" There goes the preverbial cherry!
New guy to the board with an observation of the team he obsesses (wifes term) over. I'm hoping that a little venting here will allow me to move on to the "off" season.

I figure the best way to introduce myself is to share my thoughts on this past season. From top to bottom so to speak...

Owners: No need to comment. We enjoy the best owners of any sport. We are very lucky.

Front Office: Hmm, well the draft this past year "seems" like it will be a good one. I really don't like to grade drafts without at least 3 yrs. to allow the players to develope in the system they are asked to play in esp. our defensive scheme. I personally like the Sepulveda pick. For those upset with his last kick not being far enough and are comparing it to the ball kicked by the Chargers punter at the end of Colts game (it was a great kick 66yrds), I say this... take 2 footballs and put one in the freezer for an hour or so and then kick both of them. Which one went farther?

Coaching: I am impressed so far. I know there are some people here who are never happy unless our beloved team is raising that silver football. Well, this is only speculation but this guy looks like he's here for the long haul. I think the team is in good hands head coaching wise. Tricky Dick is a literal genius ! A "REAL" genius not a genius like Belicheat is a genius. It's unfortunate that his only shot at head coaching was with the bungholes. Arians? Well, I am willing to see what happens next year. For the most part I liked the offense this year despite the play of the o-line(more on that in a minute). I will say this... the last play he called was the worst call I've seen in a looong time. 3rd and 6 and you roll Ben left to run with no option to pass? Am I wrong or did Ben bring the team back from one of the biggest 2nd half holes in playoff ball? Let him throw the damn ball!

Offense: Ben was great! First half of the Jags game was bad, but he did what he had to do in the 2nd to win that game. Give this man a decent o-line and look out! Willie WOULD have owned that rushing title! Think about what a better o-line would do for him. Recievers and TEs were very solid. I wish Nate could be more consistant. Spaeth was good in the red zone. Heath is a top 5 TE. Holmes has turned into a really good WR. Hines? This guy is the E PIT O ME of Steeler football. I would not want any other WR in the league for him. O-line? Wow! I am very disappointed in this group. Mahan was man handled on just about every play. Colon was inconsistant at best. Alan did not play at the probowl level he was voted to. Thanks for your best years Alan good luck to you. Smith and Simmons need to elevate thier games as well.

Defense: Injuries were a big reason this group fell apart at the end of the season. Secondary had its problems but that is a direct result of pressure from the front 7. Ike would make the probowl if he had better hands. Deshea is good but time is catching him. Troy was an injury victim he will be back to form next year. Clark was another injury casualty. Anthony Smith and Tyrone Carter better be unemployed if they continue thier play from this year. Gay and McFadden have potential. LBs... Harrison was a beast! Farrior is defying father time. Haggans is a liabilty in coverage and will not be a starter next year(see Woodley). Foote is a warm body. Let's hope Timmons is the answer there. D-line... Hampton is the poster boy for 3-4 NTs. Kiesel is not a 3-4 RE. He is better suited to be a 4-3 speed rush end. Aaron Smith? Look at what happened after he was injured. That guy is a prime example of why the probowl is a joke! It's just a popularity contest.

Special teams: I have literally had to repair drywall in my home because of this unit. Well not just this year but every year! I have lost track of how many times STs has lost a game for us. And it always raises its ugly head in playoff games! WTF? What is the friggin answer here?

I would be remiss if I didn't comment on something I saw first hand this year. I used to live just outside the Burgh and I went to many games at 3 rivers stadium. I now live outside the state and have only been to 4 games since Heinze field opened. 2 games this year Bills and Ravens(both wins). I have to say that the crowd is just not the same. I was going nuts at both games and I was getting looks at how enthusiastic I was being. I was being respectful(no exessive swearing) and people were looking at me like I was crazy. For the most part they sat on thier ass and barely acknolweged the game. I miss the old days when Joe shmo construction worker could afford a ticket(mine were $75 and $135 and were in peanut gallery). It seems like the fans now a days aren't so much football fans as they are interested in saying "hey I was at the game" the next day around the water cooler(no offense to the yuppie element). I am an ex Marine and a blue collar man myself and when me and my friends get together and watch the game we get nuts. Just an observation.......

Well thanks for sharing my thoughts and despair over this season. Let's hope next year brings us that silver football!!!!!!

SEMPER FI (always faithful) to my country and my team!

Hammer....................................
Old 01-13-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Does this board have theraputic value?

Welcome...

May I suggest you stop by this thread http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20 and introduce yourself. The mods'll come by later and welcome you.

Keep posting around here... I like what you say!

Disagree with you a couple of times, but that is what makes this board good.

BTW... Thank you for your service.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:18 PM   #3
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Good analysis. You have no idea how valuable this board has been to me after a few losses... Enjoy it.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:21 PM   #4
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Welcome dude

Quote:
I personally like the Sepulveda pick. For those upset with his last kick not being far enough and are comparing it to the ball kicked by the Chargers punter at the end of Colts game (it was a great kick 66yrds), I say this
thank you! there was a discussion about this today. Sep's amazing!

Quote:
I have to say that the crowd is just not the same. I was going nuts at both games and I was getting looks at how enthusiastic I was being. I was being respectful(no exessive swearing) and people were looking at me like I was crazy. For the most part they sat on thier ass and barely acknolweged the game.
Glad to hear that! In my life I have only gone to 1 steelers game and I went nuts, but I have seen videos of the good old days and fans were crazy, glad you still are!

so have a beer a enjoy SF
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:26 PM   #5
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

"I have to say that the crowd is just not the same. I was going nuts at both games and I was getting looks at how enthusiastic I was being. I was being respectful(no exessive swearing) and people were looking at me like I was crazy. For the most part they sat on thier ass and barely acknolweged the game. "

I went to the Seahawks game this year (First ever) and had the exact same experiance. Two old Italian guys where sitting next to me and were both very annoyed. "Too bad" I thought. I was waving a friendly good bye to the Seahawks fans around and got looked down upon for it lol... I understand having respect but come on - We get a shut out be prepared for trash talk.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:45 PM   #6
m4mica
Water Boy

Member Number: 8143

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
"I have to say that the crowd is just not the same. I was going nuts at both games and I was getting looks at how enthusiastic I was being. I was being respectful(no exessive swearing) and people were looking at me like I was crazy. For the most part they sat on thier ass and barely acknolweged the game. "

I went to the Seahawks game this year (First ever) and had the exact same experiance. Two old Italian guys where sitting next to me and were both very annoyed. "Too bad" I thought. I was waving a friendly good bye to the Seahawks fans around and got looked down upon for it lol... I understand having respect but come on - We get a shut out be prepared for trash talk.
I agree as well. I'm a season ticket holder and the Seahawks game was particularly bland. That being said, I've never felt the stadium rock like it did after we took the lead against the Jags. I was convinved the plasma tv over my head was going to fall, it was moving back and forth several inches. It's funny, cause you couldn't give away a ticket prior to the game. Maybe there was new blood, who knows. Of course, you've never heard 65,000 make so little noise once it was over.

"Act Like You've Been There."
m4mica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:46 PM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Does this board have therapeutic value?

Welcome to the board, Hammer Of The GODS!

If you have any questions or concerns about the site, please feel free to PM (Private Message) myself or HometownGal. Post often and have fun!
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:56 AM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Hiya Hammer and welcome to the #1 Steelers fan site anywhere! Glad to have ya on board!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:12 AM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Welcome to the forum....nice first post.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:29 AM   #10
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Welcome and enjoy.