Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,677 Times in 2,624 Posts
Default Peter King Positive On Steelers Future

This from Peter King in today's MMQB column

Ed Bouchette wrote a thoughtful piece in the PittsburghPost-Gazette the other day about how Steeler fans can't look at this season as a failure because of the resuscitation of BenRoethlisberger's career. He's right. Add in Mike Tomlin, and I'd look at the Steeler glass as three-quarters full -- how many teams in the NFL can say right now that they've got a better coach/quarterback situation for the long-term future than Tomlin/Roethlisberger? Look at this Fine Fifteen. New England, yes. Who else? No one. (Indy is interesting, because whoever you pair with Peyton Manning when Tony Dungy retires (Next month? Next year? Next decade?) is going to have a good future, obviously.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...isional/2.html

This team has significant immediate problems to address, but with HC and QB settled the foundation around which to rebuild is there
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087
Default Re: Peter King Positive On Steelers Future

Tomlin still has a lot to prove besides saying the right thing in press conferences
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
yinzer-inseattle
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiller View Post
Tomlin still has a lot to prove besides saying the right thing in press conferences
Is there anything Tomlin has to prove that's different or more pressing than any other coach going into their second year as a NFL HC? I'd be interested in reading your critique.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzer-inseattle View Post
Is there anything Tomlin has to prove that's different or more pressing than any other coach going into their second year as a NFL HC? I'd be interested in reading your critique.
Of course - he needs to win a SB next year, otherwise he's no good. After all, the Steelers already "backslid" in Tomlin's first year: http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...3&postcount=35

fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
Lord Stiller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzer-inseattle View Post
No, not for a coach going into their second year

Remember Cowher lost his first playoff game after winning the division and having a bye week i believe

Tomlin still has a lot to prove as a coach in general. Like not losing to crappy teams, making right player and personnel decisions, winning playoff games, etc....
Old 01-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
I will raise the same issue I raised in a thread regarding Ben's purported shortcomings, in which I asked a poster which non-Brady/Manning QB he would rather have - are you contending the Steelers made the wrong hire at HC last year and, if so, who should have been hired?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
Lord Stiller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
are you contending the Steelers made the wrong hire at HC last year and, if so, who should have been hired?
Dont put words in my mouth. I like Tomlin, just saying he has a lot to prove still
Old 01-14-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I'm a big Tomlin Fan.

Here is what he must improve.

Challenges. How many did he actually challenge correctly this year? He needs to have better communication with the "man upstairs" in regards to when to challenge and when not to.

Special Teams. It is one area of the team that the HC needs to make sure is solid. He has 8 different coaches for offense and defense, but ST needs the HC to be more involved. Making the move for Rossum was a quick fix for the fumbled punts from last season, but we never got good coverage all year, and that should have been fixed. Hopefully, some young guys like Timmons and Anthony Smith can take over bigger roles on the Special Teams and really bring it up a notch next season.

Preperation for Road Games. There was obviously a drop off in the Steelers play this season on the road. Losses in NY, Denver, and Zona were do to us starting slow and not being ready as much as anything else. I excuse the Baltimore loss with 5 starters not playing.

Talent evaluation at the draft. Woodley was a great draft, he already shows a great upside, Timmons is a "wait and see", he needs to if not improve, at least stay steady and solid in this year's draft. I'm very excited to see how he does.

That's about it. He did a great job, learning to be a HC in the NFL during his 1st season. Going 10 wins, and into the playoffs, is better than most guys do in their first run. He needs to build and take a step forward and not regress in any way. Not making the playoffs next season would be bad.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Dont put words in my mouth. I like Tomlin, just saying he has a lot to prove still
Putting words in your mouth would have been saying who should have been hired other than Tomlin while implying you were saying Tomlin should not have been hired

Of course Tomlin still has a lot to prove - in terms of performance so does every coach in the league other than Belichick

You appeared to indicate Tomlin may not be not a long term solution - sorry I had the audacity to ask you to clarify your pronouncement from Olympus and ask if you are saying he should not have been hired

My sincerest apologies for asking
Old 01-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
I'm a big Tomlin Fan.

Here is what he must improve.

Challenges. How many did he actually challenge correctly this year? He needs to have better communication with the "man upstairs" in regards to when to challenge and when not to.

Special Teams. It is one area of the team that the HC needs to make sure is solid. He has 8 different coaches for offense and defense, but ST needs the HC to be more involved. Making the move for Rossum was a quick fix for the fumbled punts from last season, but we never got good coverage all year, and that should have been fixed. Hopefully, some young guys like Timmons and Anthony Smith can take over bigger roles on the Special Teams and really bring it up a notch next season.

Preperation for Road Games. There was obviously a drop off in the Steelers play this season on the road. Losses in NY, Denver, and Zona were do to us starting slow and not being ready as much as anything else. I excuse the Baltimore loss with 5 starters not playing.

Talent evaluation at the draft. Woodley was a great draft, he already shows a great upside, Timmons is a "wait and see", he needs to if not improve, at least stay steady and solid in this year's draft. I'm very excited to see how he does.

That's about it. He did a great job, learning to be a HC in the NFL during his 1st season. Going 10 wins, and into the playoffs, is better than most guys do in their first run. He needs to build and take a step forward and not regress in any way. Not making the playoffs next season would be bad.
the road woes seemed to have carried over from last year. we have only won 2 road games outside of ohio over the past 2 seasons. thats just terrible.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote