Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-14-2008, 12:53 PM   #11
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087
Default Re: Peter King Positive On Steelers Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Putting words in your mouth would have been saying who should have been hired other than Tomlin while implying you were saying Tomlin should not have been hired

Of course Tomlin still has a lot to prove - in terms of performance so does every coach in the league other than Belichick

You appeared to indicate Tomlin may not be not a long term solution - sorry I had the audacity to ask you to clarify your pronouncement from Olympus and ask if you are saying he should not have been hired

My sincerest apologies for asking
If you think I implied Tomlin should not have been hired then you lack reading comprehension.

My point is that there is no guarantee that we are set for the future with Tomlin
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
the road woes seemed to have carried over from last year. we have only won 2 road games outside of ohio over the past 2 seasons. thats just terrible.
And something else I noticed this season - how many games did the team come out of the gate just plain flat, and then have to battle furiously to come back (sometimes winning, but often falling short)? I was at the Jets game and saw it for myself. The crowd was electric and it was basically a Steelers home game. They were simply not ready to play when the ball was kicked off. For a team of their talent level to be so lethargic and uninspired was inexcusable, and not the mark of a group that aspires to greatness.

I've never been of the mind that coaches are responsible for a player's lack of execution. The men who step on the field (as Tomlin would say) bear the ultimate responsiblity for whether they execute well enough to win, and no professional athlete who earns millions should ever need motivation from anyone other than themselves to play at 110%.

But something was missing at the start of several games this season, and I'm purely speculating that maybe Tomlin, in his rookie-ness, just hadn't figured out how to have this team coming out of the gate like a house on fire. As low a personal regard as I have for Belichick, you can't accuse his team of being unprepared to play.

As incredibly polished as Tomlin comes across, as obviously intelligent as he is, he was still a rookie head coach who has things to learn about life as the head of one of the NFL's flagship and highest profile franchises. He's got all the skills needed to get there, and then some. He's lucky to have landed with a team whose management will give him the time to develop, making mistakes along the way.

All that said, I agree with Peter. We have a lot going for us, and we have a lot to look forward to. I've said since day one of the Tomlin era that this team will be back to the Super Bowl within three to five years - I believe it 100%, and I'm sticking to it.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #13
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlejazzbird View Post
And something else I noticed this season - how many games did the team come out of the gate just plain flat, and then have to battle furiously to come back (sometimes winning, but often falling short)? I was at the Jets game and saw it for myself. The crowd was electric and it was basically a Steelers home game. They were simply not ready to play when the ball was kicked off. For a team of their talent level to be so lethargic and uninspired was inexcusable, and not the mark of a group that aspires to greatness.
Good point, but I'm not exactly sure how much of that can be attributable to Tomlin - I saw the exact same thing happen even more often in '06. And what's more, last year they didn't even have the fight to come back. I think as Tomlin goes into his sophomore season, he is going to need to weed out the dead wood that doesn't want to play on Sundays.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #14
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890

Quote:

I've never been of the mind that coaches are responsible for a player's lack of execution. The men who step on the field (as Tomlin would say) bear the ultimate responsiblity for whether they execute well enough to win, and no professional athlete who earns millions should ever need motivation from anyone other than themselves to play at 110%.

But something was missing at the start of several games this season, and I'm purely speculating that maybe Tomlin, in his rookie-ness, just hadn't figured out how to have this team coming out of the gate like a house on fire. As low a personal regard as I have for Belichick, you can't accuse his team of being unprepared to play.

As incredibly polished as Tomlin comes across, as obviously intelligent as he is, he was still a rookie head coach who has things to learn about life as the head of one of the NFL's flagship and highest profile franchises. He's got all the skills needed to get there, and then some. He's lucky to have landed with a team whose management will give him the time to develop, making mistakes along the way.

All that said, I agree with Peter. We have a lot going for us, and we have a lot to look forward to. I've said since day one of the Tomlin era that this team will be back to the Super Bowl within three to five years - I believe it 100%, and I'm sticking to it.

I second that!
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #15
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,791 Times in 2,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiller View Post
If you think I implied Tomlin should not have been hired then you lack reading comprehension.

My point is that there is no guarantee that we are set for the future with Tomlin
Thank you so much
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #16
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

OK. This isn't saying anything about the Steelers and their future, but

Peter King sucks.

That is all.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #17
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:

I think it is a combination of a couple of things. Other than the playoff games leading up to the Super Bowl, it seems teams are successful at scripting plays against our defense early . Equally, I think Lebeau likes to sit back a bit early in games and feel out a teams tendancies before attacking. So, therefore, teams have had success moving the ball early until coach Lebeau "gets the turn on them." Usually by the second half of games he has gotten teams to give up on the running game which adds to our success. In addition, I think Ben is a slow starter in most games.

In the past it has worked because we have been a bit stronger defensively. Now however, with the team worn down at the end of the season instead of being tied or down by a few points we are finding ourselves behind by a couple of touchdowns - and that is too much for any team to overcome week after week.

It is also very hard to be consistent if you don't have a good ofensive line.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #18
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Pittsburgh staged several furious comebacks this year, only to fall short in most of those 6 losses. The only time the Steelers were blown out and quit was against dreaded New England. And even that wasn't so bad. The Steelers played 30 minutes in that game.

2007 had it's share of disappointing losses, but would you have rather preferred reliving the Baltimore massacres in 2006? Or how about the Atlanta and Oakland Debacles?
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:31 PM   #19
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Absolutely not. This year was a vast improvement, week in and week out to last year's performance. The 2 losses to the Ravens were devistating, the Oakland game made me vomit. The only positive thing last year was Holmes catching and running with the game winning OT catch against the Bengals to end their playoff dreams again. Other than that, I really can't remember a positive moment from last season.

This year had plenty of positives. The Smack down on the NFC West teams, minus the Cards, the Brutal beat down on the Bills, The Browns, The Bengals and the Ravens were all great.

It was the let downs that had your head shaking. A friend of mine, huge Steeler fan, told me before the Jags game, "Man, we aren't going to win it all this year, we lost to the Jets and the Cardinals in the same season. You can't do that and win it all."

I almost have to agree with him now. I mean, how the ef do you lose to 2 of the worst teams in the NFL in the same year.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #20
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

We didn't utilize one of our biggest and best weapons all year long consitently #83 Heath Miller.