Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-15-2008, 10:22 AM   #11
spiketg
Water Boy

Member Number: 8020
Default Re: Why the Steelers will be great in '08...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

willie, ben, heath, santonio are all 5 years in the league or younger. i cant think of a group of 4 young skill players at each offensive position that i would rather have going into the future.
the steelers team, on the whole are great for their age, including tomlin... all they need is experience... I do think our o-line is what stops us being amazing atm. I mean, if they can't open up the line with blocks, then parker can't run, and if they can't protect Ben then we can't make good passing plays.

I believe thats the key, we sort that :P, and we could win the Superbowl :P
Old 01-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
We are probably about 4-5 players away from being where we need to be, and I have a feeling one or two of those guys are sleepers already on the team. It DESTROYS me to hear people run down Parker. The dude was on track to gain the rushing title (or be a close second) behind an offensive line that is an insult to turnstile's everywhere to call a turnstile.
Agreed. Willie Parker needs no defending from the likes of me, but I think it's very unfair to turn on him when he was forced to perform behind that O-line. The kid is a phenomenal player and once he actually gets a sliver of daylight to run through on the line, he'll be back to Super Bowl form.

My biggest concern is that next year's schedule, considering all the teams on it and the seasons those teams had/are having (which I know is no guarantee of how they will be next season), is by far the hardest in my recent memory. It's horrible. Can we fill all the problem O- and D-line spots by next season (maybe not so much the D-line - I think some of those fixes are already on the team)? I hope so, because if we can't at least make dramatic improvement, we aren't going to win a lot of games.

We have one of the best QBs in the league, but I fear for his health and safety next season if there isn't exponential improvement on that line.

Successfully address the most glaring problems on the lines, and this team will compete with the best next season. But if most or all of the same problems exist on opening day, I fear we'll struggle to win five games.

I love this team as much as any of you, and maybe more than some; I'm just being realistic.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #13
SteelersJW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5742

That's right baby!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #14
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703

Anyone that says we need help on the Dline to generate a pass rush must not know how a 3-4 works. It is the OLB's that generate the main pass rush in our def scheme. The tackles are there to clog run lanes and soak up blockers. I think our OLB issues will be fine for next season and we will have a pass rush again. We could use another CB cause, as much as I like Townsend, he needs to be upgraded. I think despite our difficult schedule we should still win the AFCN and will be in the playoffs yet again. I feel injuries will be the deciding factor on how far into the playoffs we will go. The loss of Clark, Parker and Smith (with patch work performances by Troy and Ward) were bigger than any other factor this season. I just want a healthy team heading into next seasons playoffs. One other good thing from this year is we got some key playing time for some younger players to build on.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:23 PM   #15
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

A few posts I've read throughout mention the trend of pass happy offenses like Pats, Colts, Boys, Saints, Lions, Eagles ... But usually we stop the run, and we FORCE the teams to beat us w/ their QB.

The thought of spending a first day draft pick on corner, and this could be a VERY good corner class (Jenkins USF, Jenkins OSU, Talib or whatever his name is from Kansas, Cason) ... is really appealing ...

1, 2 ... S. Baker, B. Flowers
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #16
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

jenkins is returning to o state next yr... so thats out of the running.. justin king fromo psu declared he could be a good pick up either in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #17
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

We will be Great in 08 because we are the Steelers.

The STs will improve. The people we need to get healthy will get healthy, we will make good draft choices, the Oline will be fixed to be better as pass protection, Ben will learn to throw the ball away when he needs to, or chuck it to the check down instead of forcing it deep. The defense will be coached up, as always, the Coaches will have learned from mistakes, the running game is always fantastic in Pittsburgh, and our receivers, Ward, Holmes, Miller and _____ whoever we get to be the legit #3 will be awesome again.

Its on. 8 months is too long to wait.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #18
Dylan
Starter

Member Number: 3276

Tomlin had the job that Torre had with the Yankees, just keep the players minds on their jobs and let them do the work. but i think he did more than that which means to a spectacular future
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:51 PM   #19
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Why fear the schedule next year? If the team improves (and it should), it's up to the other teams to keep up with us, and not the opposite. How many teams on that schedule have the tradition and pedigree that the Steelers do? I actually prefer to see the Steelers play good teams week in and out, since we've all seen how shitilly they can play down to the level of the bad teams.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #20
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i think that this sch will prove to the non beleivers that pitt is a elite team..

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote