Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-15-2008, 08:11 AM   #11
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Re: Steelers eye several positions for first-round pick

Please Colbert, don't be stupid.

Our Offensive Line sucks. There is no way around it. I'm tired of watching Ben run for his life, while watching Brady just sit back there and make a sandwich.

If this problem is not addressed in the draft and FA, mark my words, the 2008 Steelers will go nowhere. There is no anchor on that line. No true Center. It's given up 40+ sacks in two consecutive seasons. Just because Willie was the leading rusher mean jacks squat. Previous Steeler teams(specifically the 90's teams) had great rushing attacks, but could block as well as anybody.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:39 AM   #12
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Our Offensive Line sucks. There is no way around it. I'm tired of watching Ben run for his life, while watching Brady just sit back there and make a sandwich.
I agree - my biggest fear is the FO giving Ben a long-term, franchise-record contract (which I'm sure is coming) and then watching his career getting prematurely ended behind that sieve of an OL. The weekly clobberings of Ben MUST stop, and it's going to take more than a "nip and tuck" to the OL to do it.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:04 AM   #13
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

I think he was just being Politically Correct about giving credit to the O-Line. He said it himself when he talked about the number of sacks given up this year. They watched the same games we did I am sure they are pretty aware that the O-Line is the biggest issue and must be addressed. They are just playing smoke and mirrors and not trying to elude about what they are going to take in the early rounds.

Either that or they are going to draft another punter and tight end and I am 100% completely wrong!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:10 AM   #14
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

The pre-draft smoke screen has already started being fired up. This might be a record, 3 months and 10 days before the draft!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #15
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
The pre-draft smoke screen has already started being fired up. This might be a record, 3 months and 10 days before the draft!

I pray you're right about this being just a smoke screen! I cannot fathom they are thinking about anything else than drafting for the O-line or D-line in the first round!
Old 01-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #16
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890

I agree with Colbert. The OL wasnt THAT bad. We had the number one rusher until his leg broke. I would say half of those sacks have to be attributed to Ben holding onto the ball too long and Arians play calling. Arians has a whole year to tweak his system. Ben has shown progress in his ability to read defenses and will get better in his ability to call the right protection schemes. A beast at OT is definitely needed and there are a few in the draft but we dont need to go OL crazy in the draft and neglect other needs. Good DB's are a must in this pass happy/protect the receiver NFL.
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #17
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I think that the Steelers should pretty much take the best position available when they draft this time around. I know that O Line is very important this offseason, but I think that we would be better off fixing this through free agency myself. We need a real Center to carry on our great tradition because Mahan Is Not The Answer..
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #18
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedap View Post
I agree with Colbert. The OL wasnt THAT bad. We had the number one rusher until his leg broke. I would say half of those sacks have to be attributed to Ben holding onto the ball too long and Arians play calling. Arians has a whole year to tweak his system. Ben has shown progress in his ability to read defenses and will get better in his ability to call the right protection schemes. A beast at OT is definitely needed and there are a few in the draft but we dont need to go OL crazy in the draft and neglect other needs. Good DB's are a must in this pass happy/protect the receiver NFL.
I agree our O-line can be saved ........ IF we spend a first round pick on an OT. I don't feel the line needs so much revamping, as maybe it does reshuffling?

LT- 1st RD draft pick
LG- Colon or Kemo
C- FA hopefully, maybe either Simmons, Kemo, or Colon ... in that order
RG- Simmons
RT- Smith

Sean Mayhan NOWHERE

This class is too good to pass up a first round OT, but C/G depth isn't that good. Snag a bigger C in the later rounds. ***sometimes I wonder why teams can take linemen in the 3rd and 4th RD and plug them in and keep going, yet we have struggled mightily in doing that the last few years ... and it's not like we haven't tried to find developmental players in RD's 3-5
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #19
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

I feel we will draft OL first if there is a good one when we pick (no need to grab a for sure late 2nd or 3rd rounder too early) then either another OL or CB with the first 3 picks. The only thing that would change that is if some phenominal early 1st round favorite athlete somehow drops to our pick. If we can get a OL starter and a CB that will be able to play after one year I will consider the draft a success.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #20
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

We'll be drafting a running back with the 1st pick. It isn't like Orlando Pace is on the board for us. You can build depth at O-line later in the draft, we aren't going to "Fix" the O-line with some rookie Tackle, Center or Guard. But drafting a SOLID #2 Running back in the 1st round, Ray Rice, Felix Jones, could put our offense into another place. Plus, a Big Time RB gives you a Returner on Punts and Kick Offs, especially Felix Jones.

For anyone that isn't thinking about the 08 season, sure take Otah from Pitt in the 1st round and he can blow blocking assignments all year next season and eventually will be good enough to not get our QB killed...for anyone that wants to win next season...RB in the 1st round.

I'm sure 90% of you will disagree with my assessment, but like I said...Pace isn't in the draft and we don't have a top 5 pick to get Long on DL or that stud Tackle from Michigan.

Get the BEST player on the board with your 1st pick.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote