Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #21
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568
Default Re: Steelers eye several positions for first-round pick

u really can't say that about a rookie... joe thomas going to the pro bowl for cle.. hell of a yr for a rookie.. ugo from the colts good rookie season.. and there were other rookies who have done well this yr..

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #22
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

that would be nice... slaton should start working on catching the ball.. he'll be a good receiving back...

Old 01-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #23
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

You can't say a rookie Olineman will have that big of an impact on improving the pass plocking either. But you can say, a STUD RB would improve the Special Teams, in return yards, and would if truly a Stud be great to have late in games to groom for later on in the season, should Willie twist and ankle or something.

First round Olinemen are great, when you can get that stud. The guy in Cleveland was a top 5 pick. That's not something we'll have available to us for O-line unless god help us we trade all the way up to get one. And that would be ridiculous unless we trade up for the absolute best player on the board at the time.

Was Timmons the best player on the board last year when we took him. I don't think so and I think Tomlin should have been more aggressive at going after Revis at CB. Hopefully he learns this year, don't take a guy on potential, Timmons, take a guy on flat out skill and how they can help you Day 1.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #24
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

the jets moved up 1 spot ahead of us to get revis.. i was pissed when that happened and they took revis.. b/c i thought for sure he was going to be a steeler...

Old 01-15-2008, 06:45 PM   #25
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

There will be quality RB's in this draft at pick 100 and beyond. We don't need a stud RB, we HAVE ONE! We need depth at RB, at best, and we MAY already have it. The Steelers are tossing out smoke grenades to cover our real maneuvers, and it's apparently working. Hopefully the other teams in the NFL fall for it too. I could MAYBE see a WR in 1 ( I'd hate that pick) but I so don't see skill position at #1. It's OL for sure, DL if someone falls. Talking RB in a RB rich draft makes sense. Hopefully somebody reaches thinking we are going to pick a RB and we grab an OLman who wasn't supposed to drop to the mid-20's.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #26
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

kevin colbert... wow... is this our personell director? of director of college scouting?

he obviously did not watch the same pittsburgh team as all of us... the reason our QB had such a great year was because of his individual talent and the talent of our top 3 recievers... hines santonio and heath.... the reason willie was the leading rusher was because of himself not because of the o-line...
Old 01-15-2008, 09:56 PM   #27
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,490 Times in 3,733 Posts

Interesting comments by Ed.B. of the P-G today on Colbert throwing a bone to the OL and talent obtained through recent drafts:

I too do not agree with Kevin's assessment and I think some of it was politically correct, just as when Ben spoke about his line this season. Neither want to knock it, but they're both hoping for big improvement.

Are we getting stale defensively?

Ed Bouchette: Old maybe; I'm not sure about stale. But it's a good question. They need to infuse more youth into the defense, something Mike Tomlin acknowledged.

Do you think that a change in assistant coaches is necessary to improve the special teams?

Mike Tomlin said it after the season: They did not have enough good core players on special teams. Maybe that's because they don't have enough young players at the skill positions -- linebackers, wide receivers and in the secondary -- who make up the brunt of special teamers.

Is Colbert taking any heat for the suspect drafts after the second round? Special teams play and back up proficiency usually indicate the quality of the later round picks.

Ed Bouchette: He has in the past. Their picks after the first two rounds have not been hall of fame material.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08015/849371-66.stm
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:31 PM   #28
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

i think our passing game will be better next yr.. speath was a good target this yr and made good plays.. with a yr under his belt he'll be better with davis... so o-line getting better we'll have a solid off..

Old 01-15-2008, 11:01 PM   #29
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
i think our passing game will be better next yr.. speath was a good target this yr and made good plays.. with a yr under his belt he'll be better with davis... so o-line getting better we'll have a solid off..
i can definitely see spaeth being utilized more but his lack of athleticness scares me...

i somehow do not see davis in anyway in our gameplan next year... the FB position was bsically forgotten besides for a couple runs in the 4th Q of blowout games...
Old 01-16-2008, 12:36 AM   #30
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
i can definitely see spaeth being utilized more but his lack of athleticness scares me...

i somehow do not see davis in anyway in our gameplan next year... the FB position was bsically forgotten besides for a couple runs in the 4th Q of blowout games...
You know.. I actually liked what Davis did when given the ball. We'll see what he can do.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote