Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-15-2008, 10:38 AM   #11
Steeldude
Living Legend

Default Re: Steelers' Foote poised to defend job

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post

I guess Farrior (if you take a look at his stats, which were along the same lines as Foote's) should be riding the pine, too.
farrior hasn't been playing good football. that is why he is going to be replaced in 2009 when his contract expires. he is getting old and it is showing. i would rather bench foote than farrior. this is all depends on timmons' progession next season. who knows, timmons could turn out to be another richardson. i am hoping for a chad brown with better ankles

farrior has 66 solos. his lowest output since his first year with the steelers. foote's 43 solos is the worst performance of his career as a starter.

it's not just about tackles. it's where he tackles. he is often carried 2 or more yards before bringing the ball carrier down. he is also out of position and takes bad angles. this is not say he is a bum or doesn't make some good plays. i remember carlos emmons wasn't flashy, but he knew his role and got the job done. he wasn't flashy or a pro bowler type. yet the steelers wanted an upgrade and let him go. IMO, kreidwalt could put up the same stats as foote. any average LB could be plugged into the mack position and rack up 40+ solos a season and make occasional plays.

the steelers need good to great LBs to run the 3-4 blitz scheme to perfection. going through the motions doesn't work. the LBs this past season offered little in terms of pressure. that #1 defense rank means nothing. the LBs were nearly non-existent this year with the exception of harrison.

my assessment of foote is he is more of a liability than solid player.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,618 Times in 2,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?teeldude View Post
43 solos in the mack position is nothing to be proud of. IMO, that is one of the reasons he should be riding the bench. the steelers need to upgrade their LB corps.
footes not that bad just because he got mowed down by jamal lewis. its happenend to alot of defenders.

unfortunately many steelerfans feel we need an upgrade at LB, OL, WR, CB, RB. who is gonna pay for all these upgrades we need across the board? do we go the redskins route of upgrading whenever and wherever we see fit?

can we circumvent the cap to ensure we get the 22 best starters at their respective positions?

or should we just scrap our defensive and offensive systems (along with the coaches who implement them) and go to vanilla base packages that may not be as effective but allow a player like timmons to come in and put up patrick willis type numbers as a rookie?

personally, id rather a lb core that evenly splits 300 or so tackles as opposed to 1 guy making 150 and the other 3 each having 50.

with that being said, if timmons can beat out foote, im all for it. im also all for veteran back ups who know their role and can come in to give a breather, add versatility, or lend experience and leadership to a younger starter.

its a shame if people feel players like foote and haggans should be kicked to the curb (i know, thats a far cry from being benched as you clearly stated) when they can still contribute to a top notch defense.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:57 AM   #13
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
This reminds me of the Ryan Clark vs. Anthony Smith debate from last off season. Just because a young guy is flashy and has a lot of upside doesn't mean they are better starters right now for the team than the less flashy vets like Foote, Clark Townsend.

Bet we all wished we'd had Ryan Clark for that Pats game right about now.

Foote will start next year, and Timmons will be the first guy off the bench in case of injuries---and perhaps LeBeau will do some creative things with him on third down or something . . . but I don't think he's going to be ready to start yet.
i don't claim that timmons will be better or worse. i am saying foote is nothing special and offers nothing that any other average LB doesn't offer. i remember people getting on me when i said harrison would do better than porter. porter turned into an average LB who just went through the motions.

you are right, foote will most likely start next year. i personally wanted harrison to play ILB and timmons/foote to move outside. the reasoning behind it was that harrison wouldn't get pushed around.

i prefer townsend and clark because they are the best on the team at their positions. well, taylor might be a little better because of his young legs.

one thing is for certain. the steelers need to find a place for their 2007 #1 draft pick. i still wonder how he is going to turn out. the one thing about timmons that bothered me was when he showed up to his pro day out of shape.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #14
Steeldude
Living Legend

just for the record. i don't think foote is a pile of i just think the steelers need better LBs for their system to work more efficiently. after all, it is a system geared for the LBs

Old 01-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #15
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

well u can't put all the blame on the lb's.. sometimes u have to put some blame of the d-linemen.. b/c maybe they aren't taking up the blocks as much as b4.. the lb's are as only as good as there d-line is making them holes to run thru...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #16
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
This reminds me of the Ryan Clark vs. Anthony Smith debate from last off season. Just because a young guy is flashy and has a lot of upside doesn't mean they are better starters right now for the team than the less flashy vets like Foote, Clark Townsend.
umm the biggest difference between these two scenarios is Lawrence is getting big bucks to ride thebench....smith is getting third round money... quite a bit of diffference...

i hope with farrior being the age that he is and his contract status im hoping they start grooming timmons at farrior's spot instead of foote... there is a 4-5 year age difference between the two... why keep a guy thats 5 years older? younger age = more upside... keep foote he did pretty well against jaxonsivlle....
Old 01-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #17
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

Farrior is still solid. I feel the problem w/ our LB's is Foote as well. I don't care what anyone says. 43 solo tackles in the Mack position is weak sauce any way you look at it.

I'm almost 100% confident that while timmons may lack the experience needed to fully comprehend the system we run, I feel his athleticism and upside will far outweigh the bumps along the way that we may undoubtedly cringe at.

On the other hand ... I do understand that Lamarr woodley was basically a four year starter at Michigan, on some ridiculoussssss defenses. And Timmons can barely drink, only one year of experience starting ... definitely more of a project that has a lot to learn.

But you can't ignore what he brings to the table as far as talent wise. He's a freak. I'm glad Mikey T snagged him when he did instead of let some team like the patriots take him a few picks behind (which i'm pretty sure they would have considered ... went over to a Pats board during the draft and remember reading that Billyboy was sweating timmons nuts)

I have no doubt that once Timmons learns the system, timmons will outplay farrior and foote.
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:49 PM   #18
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I think that the time is coming Very Soon to replace Farrior. I just hate the fact that Foote has 2 years left on his contract and Farrior has only 1. If it were the opposite I would say that the Steelers could release Foote or ask him to take a pay cut. I just think that Foote is too the end, he has passed the point of no more improving. We didnt draft Timmons to sit on the bench and Farrior is getting old.. he is now 33. With 1 year left on his contract I think that this will be his last year in the Burgh myself. Then what?... do you move Foote to his spot and insert Timmons in Foote's old spot? This is where I think that a 1st round pick on someone like Jeremy Lehman at MLB would be a nice fit.
OLB Lamar Woodley
MLB Lawrence Timmons
MacLB Jeremy Lehman (R) or Foote if needed
OLB James Harrison

Last edited by HometownGal; 01-15-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: No reason for large print and bolding. Ughhhhh.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #19
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

Not that it matters but I think it would be better if Harrison was on the inside and Timmons on the outside
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #20
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Harrison COULD play ILB. But, IMO, he's a bit short to see over the line, bat down passes, etc, etc. And he did make the Pro Bowl in year one as a starter at OLB. I'd rather have a LB with prototypical size at ILB