Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #21
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Re: Big Ben on ... Alan Faneca, his contract and his wish list for 2008

GS had great chemistry with Plax. I know that kills some Steelers fans to read that, but it's true. He probably had better chemistry with him than he's had with anyone else.

The good news is that there are a lot of options out there for a new Plax. James Hardy of Indiana, Limas Sweed of Texas, Mario Urrutia of Louisville.

Urrurita could be there on the second day.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #22
Dylan
Starter

Member Number: 3276

Bryant johnson would be a ncie addition. might even take hometown discount (probably not), but he is a team player
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #23
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Bryant johnson would be a ncie addition. might even take hometown discount (probably not), but he is a team player
Johnson isn't going anywhere with Fitz on the market. As a matter of fact, the Steelers could probably have Fitz for a 1st and a 3rd.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #24
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,485 Times in 1,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
We could have frigging Yao Ming as a WR and if Ben is still getting clobbered 3,4,5 times a game (or more) it makes no difference. Priority #1 - fix the OL.
i wonder how tall hines looks to ben when he's layin on the turf.....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:51 PM   #25
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

i guess randy moss would do.....jk, i would like to see ernest wilford in black and gold, he always jacks us up when we play the jags.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #26
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
"I'm eager, anxious because I want to get it done with, I want to say let's go, let's get it over with so the talks can stop, people can stop bugging me about it. Because I just want to play football. Let's get it over with, let's get it done so I can get right back into football and not think about it and not have people talking about it all the time."

His agent, Ryan Tollner, wanted to try to extend the deal a year ago, but the Steelers preferred to wait. No talks have yet been scheduled as far as Roethlisberger knows.

"My guys are waiting for that call," Roethlisberger said. "We don't want to push it. We are waiting to hear something from them.

"I don't know what to expect because you hear so many different stories from guys who have been here before and the media."

Might he take a Tom Brady-like stance where he does not demand as much as he might be able to get in order to save salary-cap room so the Steelers can sign others?

"You know what? I'm not even dealing with that right now," Roethlisberger said. "I'm always going to do what's best for this team."
I actually took this as a big sign of Ben maturing.

He isn't talking about the contract in the media, except to say he wants to get something done so he can be completely focused on the game, not the business of the game... I also liked this quote...

Quote:
Might he take a Tom Brady-like stance where he does not demand as much as he might be able to get in order to save salary-cap room so the Steelers can sign others?

"You know what? I'm not even dealing with that right now," Roethlisberger said. "I'm always going to do what's best for this team
Seems to me... AD, that he WOULD take a bit of a cut if it proved best for the team... or if it gave some money to pick up other players.

I do think Ben is maturing as a QB, as a leader, and as a man. Good for him.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:39 PM   #27
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

I'm coming into this thread late. Here's what I take from the article.

Ben definitely wants a big man to throw to and not just tight ends. Big tall wide receivers are a definite plus.

Hines.... I love him to death but he's in his 11th season coming up..? He can't take the punishment like he used to. Santonio has great hands but he has no height advantage over the db's. Nate Washington...? I dunno... I'm still not completely sold on him. He's an ok 3rd wide out but not a #1 or #2.

I hope Hines realizes that Ben is not putting him down. I know Ben has alot of respect for Hines. I don't want to see ripples from these comments.

Alan Faneca is history. Some team is gonna offer him a boat load of cash and he's gonna take it. Ben better not count on Alan staying.

As far as Ben's contract... I do believe that Ben would take a bit less money if it would help the team. He saw Jerome do that. Ben is not gonna accept chump change but I don't think he's gonna try to break the bank like Peyton Manning.

anyway... That's my 2 cents.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #28
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I actually took this as a big sign of Ben maturing.

He isn't talking about the contract in the media, except to say he wants to get something done so he can be completely focused on the game, not the business of the game... I also liked this quote...

Seems to me... AD, that he WOULD take a bit of a cut if it proved best for the team... or if it gave some money to pick up other players.

I do think Ben is maturing as a QB, as a leader, and as a man. Good for him.
Talk is cheap - his agent would have a cardiac but if Ben wanted to be unequivocal about taking a haircut he could say "yes I will take less,", not that he will do "what is best for the team" since that could simply mean having a QB happy with his contract is "best for the team"

I have no problem with Ben's position - if he had another year like 2006 the Steelers would be drafting a QB and not talking contract extension - as Tomlin said last week, where you play is based on $$ and nothing else; it's a business and Ben needs to do whatever takes care of Ben - if that involves maxing out his contract at the expense of $$ for other signings so be it

I thought he gave a smart answer
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #29
Tony19
Water Boy

Member Number: 8153

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
We could have frigging Yao Ming as a WR and if Ben is still getting clobbered 3,4,5 times a game (or more) it makes no difference. Priority #1 - fix the OL.
WORD.
Tony19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:48 PM   #30
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i would rather take the kid in college who is 7'7'' and 300 pounds... lol... if we could get fitz for a 3rd round pick i would fall over in schock... Urrurita i heard is projected in the 5 round or higher,,

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote