Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-17-2008, 12:00 AM   #31
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579
Default Re: Big Ben on ... Alan Faneca, his contract and his wish list for 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
Urrurita i heard is projected in the 5 round or higher,,
too bad urruitia's attitude is worse than TO and Randy's put toegether...

if he was in san diego right now he'd be on top of the world... he'd have vincent jackson gates and floyd all of whom are 6'4 or taller...
Old 01-17-2008, 12:07 AM   #32
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Talk is cheap - his agent would have a cardiac but if Ben wanted to be unequivocal about taking a haircut he could say "yes I will take less,", not that he will do "what is best for the team" since that could simply mean having a QB happy with his contract is "best for the team"

I have no problem with Ben's position - if he had another year like 2006 the Steelers would be drafting a QB and not talking contract extension - as Tomlin said last week, where you play is based on $$ and nothing else; it's a business and Ben needs to do whatever takes care of Ben - if that involves maxing out his contract at the expense of $$ for other signings so be it

I thought he gave a smart answer
I understand what you mean... Ben needs to take care of Ben. However, Isn't part of taken care of yourself allowing a bit of money to flow back to the line/receivers so that you can stay alive!?

Like I said, I could see some flowing back. A MAJOR haircut? No. Absolutely not. However, half a mill a year back to the cap? Yeah, i could see that.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:17 AM   #33
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,303 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

It would be great to see fitz or wilford in black and gold with protection to ben we would have a great passing game.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:26 AM   #34
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,827 Times in 2,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I understand what you mean... Ben needs to take care of Ben. However, Isn't part of taken care of yourself allowing a bit of money to flow back to the line/receivers so that you can stay alive!?

Like I said, I could see some flowing back. A MAJOR haircut? No. Absolutely not. However, half a mill a year back to the cap? Yeah, i could see that.
Well the question is if you do not push for every $ how do you know the money will go to a big receiver and the OL?

Last year Brady apparently was making it clear he was not thrilled the Pats were well under the cap after he did not push for every $ on his contract and he was stuck with a woeful WR corps - of course it worked out for Brady this year.

Players play while coaches & the front office make the personnel decisions - if Ben gives any discount he will simply have to trust how those savings are utilized - I do not know if that makes sense
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:48 AM   #35
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i think i know what u are saying.. in brady's case he bitched about not having any real WR's.. and he wanted some... in ben's case he has good wr's he can throw too.. all he is asking is for a tall wr to bail him out sometimes by just throwing it up...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #36
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
No VT guys ever! They're too much of a risk.
too much of a risk? Rousse ... Tapp, D-lo, deuce will shine soon, Pre dogfighting mike-vick ... please don't tell me mike vick is the only player your thinking of.

Speaking of VT. I think a perfect second round pick would be someone like brandon flowers. You can never have too many good corners, and he is a play maker with ridiculous closing speed. A little undersized at 5-10, but see if that bothers champ bailey or dre bly any. He might not match up well with the bigger WR's, but we got Ike for that anyways. I honestly think he would be an immediate upgrade over B-mac and townsend
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #37
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

flowers had a very good season at CB... he could come in and play in nickel or dime situations...

Old 01-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #38
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw-n-maul-u View Post
too much of a risk? Rousse ... Tapp, D-lo, deuce will shine soon, Pre dogfighting mike-vick ... please don't tell me mike vick is the only player your thinking of.

Speaking of VT. I think a perfect second round pick would be someone like brandon flowers. You can never have too many good corners, and he is a play maker with ridiculous closing speed. A little undersized at 5-10, but see if that bothers champ bailey or dre bly any. He might not match up well with the bigger WR's, but we got Ike for that anyways. I honestly think he would be an immediate upgrade over B-mac and townsend
there is SOOOO Much depth at CB this year... we can wait on it unless a first rounder falls...
Old 01-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #39
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

it's the draft of rb's and cb's this yr... we could get a good corner in the 3rd round maybe...

i wonder if we'll get a pick for compensation loss of joey porter...

Old 01-25-2008, 01:16 AM   #40
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pit View Post
I can see the Steelers current group of wide receivers being a little disturbed by Roethlisberger's wish for a taller receiver. Just my opinion of course.

Quote:
Ward blindsided by Big Ben's comments
Hines Ward spends his time these days at home in Atlanta, recovering from postseason surgery on his right knee. A different kind of hurt was delivered by his own quarterback last week.

Ben Roethlisberger called for the Steelers to acquire a tall wide receiver, specifically to help inside the 20 and for a bailout target when he's under pressure. He said he had that with 6-foot-5 Plaxico Burress, but not since after the 2004 season.

"I'm always going to ask for a tall receiver," Roethlisberger said in an interview with the Post-Gazette. "That's just me. Our receivers are unbelievable, but our tallest guy might be Hines. Or Santonio [Holmes]. Hines is going to say he's 6 foot, but he's 5-11."

That stung Ward, the most decorated Steelers receiver in history.

"I don't hear Tom Brady or Peyton Manning asking for that," Ward said yesterday.

"I don't know, whatever he says. I have no idea. To me, it's a rare combination of receivers out there who are good and tall. We won a Super Bowl, we didn't have a tall receiver then. I don't see Tom Brady caring about who's tall or not. He got Randy this year, but he did it before without him.''

Randy Moss, who is 6-4, is Brady's first good, tall receiver in New England, which is trying to win its fourth Super Bowl in the past seven seasons. Moss joined the team this year after a trade and set an NFL record with 23 touchdown receptions.

Reggie Wayne, one of Manning's stable of Indianapolis Colts receivers, led the NFL with 112 receptions and 1,510 yards this season. Like Ward, he is listed at 6 feet. So, too, is Marvin Harrison, who long has been Manning's favorite receiver.

"To me, I have enough problems to worry about than what Ben wants -- I can't give him the contract,'' Ward said, referring to Roethlisberger's wish to have a contract extension as soon as possible. "He wants a tall receiver? Why did we draft Santonio?"

Holmes, who stands 5-11, led the Steelers with eight touchdowns and 942 yards receiving last season, on 52 catches. His 18.1 yards per catch were higher than any of the top 50 receivers in the NFL. Ward led them with 71 receptions despite playing much of the season with a sprained knee and caught seven touchdown passes. Nate Washington, who stands 6-1, was third with 29 catches.

"I don't buy into height,'' said Ward, one of four finalists for the NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year award that will be chosen next week. "Look at my red-zone touchdowns -- I have as many as anyone in the league.''

Since 2002, Ward is tied for second in the league in percentage of touchdowns in the red zone, described by the NFL as inside the 20. Moss is first with 36 percent and Ward, Harrison and Terrell Owens are tied with 33 percent.

That's why Roethlisberger's appeal for a tall receiver to help in the red zone hurt Ward, who holds most Steelers receiving records to go along with his four Pro Bowl appearances and a Super Bowl MVP award.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08025/852112-66.stm

Yahtzee! I'm just saying, I knew this was coming.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote