Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-16-2008, 03:30 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Franchise tag option for Faneca

Franchise tag option for Faneca
By Mike Bires, Times sports staff
Published: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:16 AM EST

PITTSBURGH ? If the Steelers want to really play hard ball with Alan Faneca, they could keep him for at least one more year by slapping the ?franchise player? tag on him.

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers? director of football operations, said Monday that franchising Faneca, the seven-time Pro Bowl guard who?s eligible for unrestricted free agency, isn?t probable. But it?s nonetheless an option the Steelers can exercise if they chose to do so.

?The franchise tag is always at our disposal,? Colbert said. ?Traditionally, we do not use the franchise tag, because, as an organization, we want to have players that want to be part of our organization. But we will never say we?ll never use the franchise tag because it?s a collective bargaining tool that?s at our disposal.?

All NFL teams are allowed to designate one franchise player.

An ?exclusive? franchise player, who would not be free to sign with another team, is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries at that player's position, or 120 percent of the player?s previous year's salary, whichever is greater.

This past season, Faneca?s base salary was only $4.375 million, a $1 million roster bonus included.

If the Steelers would tag Faneca as a franchise player, he would receive a one-year contract worth roughly $9 million. Last year?s franchise tag salary for an offensive lineman was $9.5 million.

Only once since Colbert came to Pittsburgh in 2000 have the Steelers exercised their right to tag someone a franchise player. That was in 2002 when they tagged linebacker Jason Gildon.

Faneca, the Steelers? No. 1 pick in the 1998 NFL Draft, was hoping to receive a lucrative extension before the 2007 season. But during mini-camp in May when he sensed he wouldn?t get that deal, he declared, ?This will be my last year as a Pittsburgh Steeler.?

Last week, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he still believes a deal can be struck that would enable Faneca to end his career in Pittsburgh.

Colbet said Monday that ?We have not closed the door on that at all.? But he still didn?t sound optimistic about a deal getting done.

Colbert said he and Steelers management are studying the team?s salary cap situation, their own list of free agents and the league-wide free agent list.

But because the demand for Faneca is likely to be high, it will be difficult for the Steelers to make him an offer he?ll get elsewhere.

?Any time a player gets to free agency, you?re going to have more competition for that player, and obviously the compensation will usually go up,? Colbert said. ?That?s why we try to sign guys before free agency. They get some security and we get a more workable deal.

?So we can still sign (Alan), but usually, once they get to this point, they?re willing to wait it out and unless you give them the compensation they?re looking for.?
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:54 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,316 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Franchise tag option for Faneca

Sounds like they will try to make efforts to keep him and I would like to see him stay a steeler but I think his mind is made up and we can't afford him so I would say he is good as gone.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:17 AM   #3
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

Yes, I would say that he's gone. I don't want to see the Steelers spending that kind of money on a guy who doesn't want to be there. Heck, his play last year wasn't even great. With the kind of money that it's going to take to sign Faneca, the Steelers could sign 2, very good, free agent-offensive linemen.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:24 AM   #4
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

theres no point in franchising him if its just going to piss him off. we dont need a disgruntled player anchoring our oline next year. if a real deal cant get done that makes both sides happy, then let him leave. i'd like to see him stay though.
jjpro11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
LambertLunatic
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2563

My guess is that if the Steelers put the franchise tag on him, Faneca will just hold out in camp.
LambertLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
STEELtownHAVOX
Starter

Member Number: 6464

The Franchise tag for Faneca = disaster. Either pay the man what he wants or let him walk out of your grasp
STEELtownHAVOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
Dylan
Starter

Member Number: 3276

This could be a win-lose situation if we place the tag on him.

If we do place the tag on him, he might become furious and holdout or he will go through the motions.

On the other hand if he does go through the motions we might be able to sign him to what we normally wanted to do. I forget but i think we offrered him a 4-year 36 million contract with a 4 mill bonus.
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

stupid stupid stupid... im startin to dislike colbert in light of his recent comments about the draft and alan...
Old 01-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #9
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

it's the way the pats slapped the tag on samuel... he was pissed but he knew that if he came out this yr and had another great yr teams will have to put up the money to sign him or re-sign him...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Slap him with the Tag, he's exactly the reason the Franchise Tag was created. A player that is going to attempt to "blackmail" his team into over paying for his value because some Idiot in San Francisco paid a Gabillion Dollars to some under acheiving O-lineman from Seattle. The Tag was put in place exactly for this situation. I say use it. And then offer him "Realistic" money. If he holds out, so what, he gets another year older and in the 09 season, people won't be willing to put the money out that he Thinks he's worth right now.

Tag his ass...that's what I say.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote