Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-17-2008, 09:33 AM   #21
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568
Default Re: Franchise tag option for Faneca

espicially if we could bring in 2-3 FA that can make a tribute to the team on gameday... 3 ppl helping out is beter than 1...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #22
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,190 Times in 597 Posts

The guy is going to get an insane amount of money. There is no way the Steeler can sign him otherwise they would have by now. Good for Faneca. 10 yrs with the Steelers, he should be commended. This is the NFL, teams cant sign everyone for top money, they just cant.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #23
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
The guy is going to get an insane amount of money. There is no way the Steeler can sign him otherwise they would have by now. Good for Faneca. 10 yrs with the Steelers, he should be commended. This is the NFL, teams cant sign everyone for top money, they just cant.
Agreed

The fact he already stayed with us for 10 years is a feat in itself... bring him back would just piss him off and cause his steeler history to be tainted...
Old 01-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #24
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

I say franchise him, there always comes a point where the player just shutsssssssTFU. a la Lance Briggs and Asante Samuel. It was cute you guys bitched for awhile and skipped camp ... and still made the probowl ...

I wouldn't say Faneca has sounded anything CLOSE to how briggs was acting ... and look what briggs said now, he dropped to his knees w/ the tail behind the legs "oh, oh, oh, i always wanted to be a Bear, blah blah chicago blah blah, wish i was rich as B. Urlacher, blah blah.

Franchise that little ginger boy faneca, get out of him what could/probably will be his last good year ... get rid of max starks, Draft a first roudn OT, and wala

Draft pick
Faneca
Simmons or FA
Colon
M. Smith

then year after

Draft pick 08
Colon
i dont even know
Simmons
I dont even know

actually i dunno

get that big red neck, i mean head, outta here
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #25
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

Point is ... we need O-line help.

Bad. and this is a realllllllllly crappy year for C's and G's ... really bad.

OT's are a must ... colon is obv. not a tackle, (the man could be a beast at guard)

and M. Smith is getting older, and in the last year of his contract or somethin coming up?

This OT class is too good to pass up on one in the first round, I have a very strong feeling that atleast, Long, Claddy, Otah, Baker will be gone by second ... for sure ... so we gotta snag em while they're hot
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #26
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i think starks should get re-sign.. he was good and just needs to get back to his form...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #27
SteelersJW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5742

We're just gonna piss him of if we frachise him. Faneca and the Steelers are unfortunately over: let him go and save some money.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #28
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Not sure if this was already posted.....

Accept it: Faneca is out the door
Saturday, January 12, 2008
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

There appear to be a number of misconceptions out there about the Pittsburgh sports teams, notably that the Pirates actually might win again in our lifetime with their new management team, that the Penguins are surging in spite of their knucklehead coach and that the Steelers still somehow will find a way to keep All-Pro guard Alan Faneca. It is that third fallacy that we will address this morning.

There's just no way.

No, the Steelers won't make Faneca their franchise player and keep him for one more season by paying him the average salary of the top five NFL guards, a figure that could be in the neighborhood of $8 million or $9 million. That's a very exclusive neighborhood. That's also why the Steelers generally don't believe in the franchise tag. It's a tool that's used to buy time to sign a would-be free agent to a long-term contract. The Steelers get the players whom they want at a better price without using it.

They clearly have no serious interest in keeping Faneca for the long haul despite coach Mike Tomlin's assertion this week. They proved that last spring when they -- according to Faneca -- lowballed him and offered a deal that wouldn't have ranked him among the league's top 10 highest-paid guards. Knowing that, the franchise tag would infuriate Faneca. He wouldn't just skip the offseason workouts. He would hold out in training camp. Tomlin doesn't need that headache starting his second season.

Beyond that, the Steelers' salary cap can't afford the enormous all-at-once hit that such a contract would provide. That sort of hit for a franchise quarterback is fine, not so much for a guard, no matter how terrific he is.

There's also no chance that Faneca will give the Steelers a hometown discount to stay. It's almost laughable when people say he might take less from the Steelers because he and his wife, Julie, love Pittsburgh so much and, admirably, are deeply involved in charity work here. If that's true, why do the Fanecas move back to Louisiana as soon as each season ends?

That isn't to suggest Faneca is doing anything wrong. He owes the Steelers nothing. He fulfilled his contract to the team and did it well, making his seventh consecutive Pro Bowl this season. Now, he has put himself in position to use the system to his benefit. More power to him. Football is a brutal game. His career could end on any play. He should go for every dollar he can, while he can.

Faneca was wrong last spring to expect free-agent money when he still had a year left on his contract. A player can't get truly big money until he hits free agency. Well, Faneca is there now. He gambled this season that his performance wouldn't slip and that he wouldn't be seriously injured. He won big on both fronts. Now, teams are expected to line up in a bidding war for him. The Steelers are wrong if they think he should take less to stay here. He shouldn't show them any more loyalty than they showed him last spring. Even Tomlin acknowledged: "Free agency is about dollars and cents. I've never seen it be about anything but dollars and cents."

Losing Faneca will be difficult for the Steelers. He was their only star player on what was a bad offensive line. Although he turned 31 Dec. 7, he showed no signs of slowing down or breaking down. His fifth All-Pro selection this season is testament to the former, the fact he hasn't missed a game since the 2001 season to the latter.

But the Steelers largely have been successful over the years determining when is the right time to part with one of their all-time greats. Just last year, they made the wise decision to release linebacker Joey Porter. James Harrison took over Porter's position and the team didn't miss a beat. Although it's fair to presume Faneca has considerably more left than Porter, the franchise will survive and move on without him. The franchise always survives.

The sooner you accept that Faneca is gone, the sooner you can start coming to terms with the fact that Michel Therrien is a pretty fair hockey coach and that the Pirates never will win as long as Bob Nutting is their owner.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08012/848753-87.stm
Old 01-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #29
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Franchising him is stupid in my opinion...
Old 01-17-2008, 10:18 PM   #30
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

ugh briggs is crazy for wanting back into chicago... that place is gonna get worse and worse with urlacher's back condition getting worse and worse... asante won't care about anything except money... his team might go undefeated and he'll have won 2/3 superbowls...