Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-25-2005, 11:12 AM   #31
Grey
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 727
Default Re: Hines comments on the Riverdance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowedf
I'd love to see how he's "idiotic" ....examples would be great bro. Oh wait, is it because he plasters people blocking?? Or is it because he smiles everytime he lays a corner, safety, and even LB's out? The guy has always been a class act.....he gets trashed by the softies who think he's tryin to be a hardass when he plays when in reality, he's just playing the game the way its supposed to be.
Nice.

Anything, Hangover?

Here we go.
Grey
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:17 AM   #32
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Hines Ward is class - the way the majority of fans and team-mates stuck with him through the pre-season wage negotiation/hold out fiasco shows what high regard he is held in - he also had the backing of alot of fans from other franchises.

Everytime Hines steps on the field he is putting his body on the line for the black and gold of Pittsburgh - I have nothing but admiration for the guy.

He deserved that penalty for taunting on sunday - but give me a guy who gets a little too pumped during the game over the laid back 'who gives a damn' type guy everytime (*see Ty Poole).

Off the top of my head I can think of two receivers id like to have in New England - Torry Holt and Hines Ward.

Cheers

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:31 AM   #33
Iron City Hangover
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 732

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowedf
I'd love to see how he's "idiotic" ....examples would be great bro. Oh wait, is it because he plasters people blocking?? Or is it because he smiles everytime he lays a corner, safety, and even LB's out? The guy has always been a class act.....he gets trashed by the softies who think he's tryin to be a hardass when he plays when in reality, he's just playing the game the way its supposed to be.
Settle down Beavis.

I never questioned his ability to throw a crushing block (that he does well) or come up with a spectacular catch. What I did question is his attitude after these flashes of brillance on the field.

You want an example:

Hines makes a great catch for an 18 yard gain against the Bengals on a crucial third down for a drive to solidify your lead. After the play, he gets flagged for an obvious unsportsmanslike conduct penalty. You make the catch, you shut your mouth. You are jeopardizing your team's ability to put another team away but giving up 15 yards for running your mouth, grabbing a player's facemask while on the ground or spiking the ball on the field of play (which also is capable of being flagged for delay of game if the ball is not returned to a referee). He turned an 18 yard play into a measly 3 yard gain by taunting.

Hines doesn't need the taunting to prove that he is an elite WR. Playing the game the way it's supposed to be is moving the ball for positive yardage. An 18 yard gain is right as rain better than a 3 yard gain.

I'm sorry you don't see it that way, son.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:32 AM   #34
Iron City Hangover
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey
Nice.

Anything, Hangover?

Here we go.
Grey

Enjoying the sidelines?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:35 AM   #35
Iron City Hangover
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Hines Ward is class - the way the majority of fans and team-mates stuck with him through the pre-season wage negotiation/hold out fiasco shows what high regard he is held in - he also had the backing of alot of fans from other franchises.

Everytime Hines steps on the field he is putting his body on the line for the black and gold of Pittsburgh - I have nothing but admiration for the guy.

He deserved that penalty for taunting on sunday - but give me a guy who gets a little too pumped during the game over the laid back 'who gives a damn' type guy everytime (*see Ty Poole).

Off the top of my head I can think of two receivers id like to have in New England - Torry Holt and Hines Ward.

Cheers

NM
Well said. He is a great player. Just keep yourself in check during crucial games, you can go crazy without the flags.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:46 AM   #36
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Imitation is the sincerest form of a compliment...

Not only does Hines do it to those he plays against, but if you watched the Philly game, now other player like to do the "any endzone dance you do I can do better" routine as well...
Old 10-25-2005, 11:54 AM   #37
SteelR1
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 512

First off, Iron city, I respect your opinions. Here's mine.

I dont see too many issues with the celebrations.. A riverdance-it's funny. An eagle dance-it's funny. Mocking of the dances-it's funny. A cell phone or sharpie, funny but I dont think you should use props. In a world where nothing is impossible, they could cause injury to a player. Standing on the oponents logo at the 50 yard line is rediculious.!!

As long as the celebrations are kept to a timely manner and no props are used, it adds a little excitement to the game. A little bit of, what's he gonna do if he gets another one, kind of excitement.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:54 AM   #38
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron City Hangover
Well said. He is a great player. Just keep yourself in check during crucial games, you can go crazy without the flags.
I am not exactly an authority on sporting psychology - but to play the kind of physical game Hines Ward plays (one where he is either getting creamed or laying the hit on someone else) means that he has to be super-pumped.

I cant think how you could submit your body to that sort of pounding week-in week-out without having to borrow a little from the 'adrenaline bank' - these things go hand in hand and are very untypical of what your average receiver is expected to do for his team.

Hines Ward without the 'in your face attitude' is not Hines Ward at all.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:56 AM   #39
Iron City Hangover
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelR1
Standing on the oponents logo at the 50 yard line is rediculious.!!
Excellent point! TO should have been fined, after a mandatory psychological examination. Celebration dances are one thing. Pure mockery with intent to disgrace is another (the TO / Dallas event).
Old 10-25-2005, 11:57 AM   #40
Iron City Hangover
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
I am not exactly an authority on sporting psychology - but to play the kind of physical game Hines Ward plays (one where he is either getting creamed or laying the hit on someone else) means that he has to be super-pumped.

I cant think how you could submit your body to that sort of pounding week-in week-out without having to borrow a little from the 'adrenaline bank' - these things go hand in hand and are very untypical of what your average receiver is expected to do for his team.

Hines Ward without the 'in your face attitude' is not Hines Ward at all.

NM
You can have attitude without the flag.

(Jack Tatum ;) )