Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-06-2008, 12:18 AM   #941
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: 2008 Penn State Football Thread

http://gopsusports.cstv.com/sports/m...120208aab.html
Maybin Selected a Hendricks Award Finalist

First Team All-Big Ten Defensive End Third in Nation With 12 Solo Sacks

Dec. 2, 2008

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.; - For the third time in the last four years, a Nittany Lion is among the finalists for the Ted Hendricks Defensive End of the Year Award.

Penn State sophomore Aaron Maybin (Ellicott City, Md.) has been selected one of six finalists for the honor. The winner will be announced on Wednesday, Dec. 10.

The Ted Hendricks Defensive End of the Year Award is named in honor of the former University of Miami, Baltimore Colts and Oakland Raiders standout. The Ted Hendricks Foundation's national selection committee will determine and announce the recipient next week.

The other finalists for the seventh annual Hendricks Award are: Everette Brown (Florida State), Jerry Hughes (TCU), Jammie Kirlew (Indiana), Brian Orakpo (Texas) and Nick Reed (Oregon).

Penn State's Maurice Evans (2007) and All-Americans Tamba Hali (2005) and Michael Haynes (2002) also have been finalists for the Hendricks Award since its inception in 2002.

A first team All-Big Ten defensive end, Maybin also is one of three finalists for the Bednarik Award, presented to the nation's defensive player of the year by the Maxwell Football Club. Maybin also was on the 2008 Walter Camp Player of the Year Mid-Season Watch List.

Maybin has recorded at least one tackle for loss in all 12 games for the Big Ten Champions. A tenacious pass rusher with excellent speed and quickness off the edge, he is tied for third in the nation with 12 solo sacks and is tied for sixth nationally with 19 tackles for loss. Maybin has also forced a team-high three fumbles, including two that resulted in Penn State touchdowns, has 45 tackles overall (27 solo) and recorded three pass break-ups.

The former Mount Hebron High School standout has helped Penn State lead the Big Ten in all four primary defensive categories and earn Top 10 national rankings in rushing, pass efficiency, scoring and total defense.

Coach Joe Paterno's Nittany Lions are ranked No. 8 in this week's BCS standings and will play in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1, 2009. Penn State is No. 6 in the Associated Press, USA Today Coaches and Harris Interactive polls. The BCS pairings will be announced Sunday, Dec. 7 at 8:00 p.m. on FOX.

Penn State will be playing in its 35th bowl game under Paterno, who is the all-time leader in bowl appearances and wins (23-10-1 record).

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:19 AM   #942
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://gopsusports.cstv.com/sports/m...120408aac.html
Shipley Named A Finalist for Rimington Trophy

Award is presented to the nation's outstanding center.

Dec. 4, 2008

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - Penn State senior A.Q. Shipley (Coraopolis) has been selected a finalist for the Rimington Trophy, presented to the nation's outstanding center.

The 2008 Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year, Shipley is the first Nittany Lion to be a finalist for the honor, which was first presented in 2000 in honor of former Nebraska standout Dave Rimington. The honor is presented by the Boomer Esiason Foundation, which has raised more than $1.3 million for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation since in inception of the Rimington Trophy.

Shipley is one of six finalists for the 2008 Rimington Trophy. He is joined by: Antoine Caldwell (Alabama), Jonathan Luigs (Arkansas), Alex Mack (California), Max Unger (Oregon) and Eric Wood (Louisville).

The winner of the 2008 Rimington Trophy will be announced during the ESPNU/Home Depot College Football Awards Show on Thursday, December 11.

An offensive co-captain and the leader of the offensive line, Shipley has been instrumental in anchoring Penn State's best offensive line since 1995. Shipley and the O-Line lead one of the nation's most potent offenses, as Penn State ranks 11th nationally in scoring offense (40.2 ppg) and No. 15 in the nation in rushing (211.6 ypg) and total offense (452.2 ypg). The Lions lead the Big Ten in total and scoring offense and are second in rushing.

A three-year starter, Shipley has been instrumental in helping Penn State have a 1,000-yard rusher for four consecutive seasons (three different players). Behind the former Moon Area High School standout, the Lions lead the Big Ten and are No. 9 in the nation in fewest sacks allowed this season with 12.

Shipley is an employee and labor relations major on schedule to graduate this month.

The Rimington Trophy committee will select the winner of the 2008 honor based on the center selections of four All-America teams that will be announced later this momth - American Football Coaches Association (AFCA), Walter Camp Football Foundation, Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) and Sporting News.

The 2008 Rimington Trophy recipient will be honored at the Rimington Trophy Presentation in Lincoln, Neb., on January 17, 2009.

Coach Joe Paterno's Nittany Lions are ranked No. 8 in this week's BCS standings and will play in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1, 2009. Penn State is No. 6 in the Associated Press, USA Today Coaches and Harris Interactive polls. The BCS pairings will be announced Sunday, Dec. 7 at 8:00 p.m. on FOX.

Penn State will be playing in its 35th bowl game under Paterno (23rd New Year's bowl), who is the all-time leader in bowl appearances and wins (23-10-1 record).

Old 12-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #943
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583

Well, Penn State will be facing USC in the Rose Bowl( as I figured they would be). I am really looking forward to this match-up . USC's offense hasn't faced any D this year that has the speed and quickness of Penn States. Consequently Penn State's offense hasn't faced a D as tough, soild and quick as USCs(I LOVE #58! What a fantastic player he is).

Was wondering too, anyone know where they are selling any Penn State Rose Bowl t-shirts? I looked online and so far all I have seen are ones for sale at the Penn State website. I was hoping maybe they might have them at Kohls, J.C. Penneys or Sears.

WE ARE.....PENN STATE!
Steelcitygal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #944
SteelCurtain7
Starter

Member Number: 10885

Penn State v. USC. That will be a game!!
SteelCurtain7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #945
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcitygal87 View Post
Well, Penn State will be facing USC in the Rose Bowl( as I figured they would be). I am really looking forward to this match-up . USC's offense hasn't faced any D this year that has the speed and quickness of Penn States. Consequently Penn State's offense hasn't faced a D as tough, soild and quick as USCs(I LOVE #58! What a fantastic player he is).

Was wondering too, anyone know where they are selling any Penn State Rose Bowl t-shirts? I looked online and so far all I have seen are ones for sale at the Penn State website. I was hoping maybe they might have them at Kohls, J.C. Penneys or Sears.

WE ARE.....PENN STATE!
It usually varys per area.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:20 PM   #946
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

UCS will definately be the best "D" Penn State has faced. I would think the closest comparison would be OH State's "D." Still, I like Penn State's chances. I think they are a more complete team.

Last edited by OneForTheToe; 12-07-2008 at 02:42 AM.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:47 PM   #947
Makaveli
Banned

Member Number: 5998

Would have preferred an SEC team. Because taking the Lions apart is only worth so much glory. (as the rest of the nation will just simply talk of the Big Ten's clumsiness and inability to deal with any team gifted with elite athleticism)

But,..i guess another Rose Bowl title will have to do,...... I'm in. FIGHT ON !

Makaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:55 PM   #948
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

u alrdy knew that psu was in the rose bowl... maybe psu can restore some of the glory of the big 10 by beating usc

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #949
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

This is a tough call. OSU's D is every bit as good as USC's, but USC is a more complete offensive team. Lion's will have to step it up defensively if they want to win. If USC scores more than 20 points it's over.

I'm pulling 110% for the Lions but this is a tall order.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:26 PM   #950
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
This is a tough call. OSU's D is every bit as good as USC's, but USC is a more complete offensive team. Lion's will have to step it up defensively if they want to win. If USC scores more than 20 points it's over.

I'm pulling 110% for the Lions but this is a tall order.
It's a tall order, but sometimes, the greatest teams must overcome the toughest challenges.