Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Steelerstrength
Starter

Member Number: 3283
Default Who is the real Huckabee?

I?m a registered Independent, and have enjoyed analyzing the strategy of each candidate. This one by The Huckster surprised me. I?ve been intrigued by the consumption tax, but believe it to be impossible to implement. Here is what he had to say.

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) -- Reacting to criticism by his own party that he is too liberal, Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee is highlighting his conservative, evangelical Southern credentials to South Carolina primary voters.
The Iowa caucus winner weighed in Thursday on the state's perennial debate over displaying the Confederate flag, expressing sympathy with those who believe the rebel banner should be flown. The flag is also considered by many to be a symbol of slavery.
"You don't like people from outside the state telling you what to do with your flag," he told an audience in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. "In fact, if somebody came to Arkansas and told us what to do with our flag, we'd tell them where to put the pole."
But later in the day at another campaign stop in Columbia, South Carolina, Huckabee said the flag matter "has no business from the president of the United States."
"It's really not something that's an issue for the president of the United States," he said. "That's an issue for the people of South Carolina to deal with."

Several years back I was on a business trip to Charleston. While there, my good friend (whom I consider extended family) drove me around town. My friend is an articulate, well educated engineer, with two young children who were not present, provided interesting history and perspective of the sites.

After I noticed many trucks, vans and other vehicles with the Confederate Flag on them, I asked if he had an issue with it. Also pointing out that many of the trucks had gun racks in the back window, and this is downtown. (Some trucks hoisted a large Confederate Flag on a pole in the back of their truck)

He replied, ?In many ways we are still treated as second class citizens here. The symbol that loudly declares the epitome of racism adorns our capitol building. To me it?s the celebration of slavery, and how they fought for the right to own my people as property. And I have to explain that to my boys.?

Per Wikipedia:
?In 2005, two Western Carolina University researchers found that 74% of African-Americans polled favored removing the flag from the South Carolina State House altogether.?

My opinion, Huckabee made a monumental mistake, and obviously attempted to back-pedal. He successfully alienated most of the Black vote with audacity. More importantly, he lost any further consideration of attaining my support in any way, period.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Re: Who is the real Huckabee?

He's not an intelligent man and he's basically a bitter person as well.

He's going to fade from the race very quickly. Now that McCain has taken South Carolina, The Huckster is basically toast. He might pull one or two more wins, But it's a two horse race between Senator McCain and The Mitter.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I like McCain. I think he's a good man and he's gotten a bad rap. Bush's camp treated him like garbage in '04. I just wish he wasn't so far right on a few social issues. I'm pretty conservative concerning fiscal policy, but much softer and moderate on social issues. Still, he's got my vote. I also still think Thompson will be his running mate, although I'd prefer someone a little more moderate, if not even slightly left on social issues to balance the ticket a little.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I like McCain. I think he's a good man and he's gotten a bad rap. Bush's camp treated him like garbage in '04. I just wish he wasn't so far right on a few social issues. I'm pretty conservative concerning fiscal policy, but much softer and moderate on social issues. Still, he's got my vote. I also still think Thompson will be his running mate, although I'd prefer someone a little more moderate, if not even slightly left on social issues to balance the ticket a little.
My problem with McCain is that he continually undercuts the GOP. The "Gang of 14" was inexcusable. The more I think about it, the more I have to agree with a friend that McCain, by his actions, proclaims that he knows better then most of the GOP.

I also stand opposed to his beliefs on gun control.

I am very appreciative of what he did in Vietnam. I love his backing of the military. I want him as our next SecDef. I don't want him as president. However, I will definitely vote for him against Hillary or Osama.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

There is no perfect candidate. And I'm sorry, the GOP of late has become pretty pathetic. They need a good shaking up.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
There is no perfect candidate. And I'm sorry, the GOP of late has become pretty pathetic. They need a good shaking up.
No reason to be sorry about it. Scream it from the mountaintop. Hopefully someone will listen.

I am ticked about the candidates the GOP has put up.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

The only thing that will save them is that the opposition doesn't have much to counter, and the decent candidates they do have will all get crushed under the weight of the Clinton/Obama earning machine.

I'm not even sure that Obama is such a bad guy. He's just a little naive, which is the fundamental and ultimately fatal flaw with most extreme liberal political views.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
No reason to be sorry about it. Scream it from the mountaintop. Hopefully someone will listen.

I am ticked about the candidates the GOP has put up.
It is not a great selection, that's for sure, but I firmly believe that if Bitchary wins the Demo nomination, the GOP could put up Elmer Fudd and they'd keep the White House. This country simply is not, imho, ready for a woman Prez and especially not THAT woman (?).

Sadly enough, though I am a GOP'er, I'd probably vote for John Edwards if he won the nomination, which he won't.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
It is not a great selection, that's for sure, but I firmly believe that if Bitchary wins the Demo nomination, the GOP could put up Elmer Fudd and they'd keep the White House. This country simply is not, imho, ready for a woman Prez and especially not THAT woman (?).

Sadly enough, though I am a GOP'er, I'd probably vote for John Edwards if he won the nomination, which he won't.
Funny...

I think we are definitely ready for a woman... I think we are NOT ready for Hillary. I have said it for a long time that in my opinion, the first female and first black presidents will be elected out of the GOP simply because of the way the two parties work.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Funny...

I think we are definitely ready for a woman... I think we are NOT ready for Hillary. I have said it for a long time that in my opinion, the first female and first black presidents will be elected out of the GOP simply because of the way the two parties work.
This is a bad time for the country to have a woman preisdent.

I'd much rather experience living in PA with a woman in Harrisburg as Governor first before I say we should have a woman president.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote