Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-20-2008, 06:09 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default The Grass Menagerie

Ed Bouchette on the Steelers: The Grass Menagerie
Sunday, January 20, 2008
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers soon will decide whether to stick with grass at Heinz Field or finally make the move to artificial turf.

They had meetings on the matter this past week.

"Don't rule out grass," one official cautioned as mounting sentiment grows inside the organization to install artificial turf.

They've already chosen the type of artificial surface if they make the change -- the new generation of FieldTurf that West Virginia University installed last summer and the New England Patriots put down in 2006. It's called Duraspine and it cost WVU $901,152 to install.

The cost has little to do with the Steelers' decision. They paid $150,000 last November to have sod placed over their deteriorating DDGrassMaster field, which is grass tied together and down by synthetic fibers.

The DDGrassMaster, which also is used by the Denver Broncos, was supposed to be an improvement over Heinz Field's original all-grass field. It was great in September and October. By November, after poundings by Pitt and the Steelers for two months, the five high school championships played at Heinz Field applied the coup de gras.

Injuries and their own players' professed preferences for grass are reasons the Steelers have stayed with the grass that turned to dirt and mud by late season. They believed it to be safer. In that sense, it's been a well-intentioned experiment.

But when the Steelers played on the rock-hard artificial surface at Three Rivers Stadium for 31 years, they often cited studies that showed there were fewer serious injuries in games on those old artificial turfs than there was on grass in the National Football League.

As part of their investigation, the Steelers have gathered research from the NFL on injuries -- how they occurred and on what surfaces. They will use those studies as they determine whether to make the switch to FieldTurf's Duraspine.

Some in the organization believe the grass at Heinz Field has become a national embarrassment heightened by the Monday Night game against Miami and the downpours that occurred often during home games this season. The field also ranks at or near the bottom of annual NFL Players Association surveys of its members. Pitt officials have urged the Steelers to switch to artificial turf.

A new artificial surface also could help the Steelers on the field in a couple of ways. First, as they evolve under quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and Willie Parker from the old plowhorse offense into something sleeker. Parker has said he prefers artificial turf, which is no surprise because of his style of running. Second, by increasing income to help with the ever-increasing cash outlays for signing bonuses. Although there is a salary cap in the NFL, the cash needed for signing bonuses has become a problem for some teams in smaller markets.

By having artificial turf, the Steelers can attract more events like the Kenny Chesney concerts, knowing the field can hold up. The Rolling Stones, one source said, wanted to play in Heinz Field during the fall but were turned away because of concerns about the grass. The income from such events could help fund signing bonuses.

There really is little downside to having the new, safer generation of FieldTurf at Heinz Field. The Steelers have been practicing on FieldTurf since 2000 at their UPMC indoor facility on the South Side with no known serious injuries coming from it.

For those into aesthetics, the field would be forever green -- unless it snows -- and those slanted white lines the Steelers and Pitt use can disappear and end zones for each team zipped in and out.

Nothing 'special' in snubbing deserving hall candidates
The next former Steelers player to make the Pro Football Hall of Fame will be Rod Woodson next year. He should be a shoo-in.

A teammate of his should have been voted in by now but center Dermontti Dawson, selected to seven Pro Bowls and considered at least the equal to Hall of Famers Dwight Stephenson and Mike Webster, hasn't even made it to the semifinal 25 let alone the final 15.

Yet a punter, Ray Guy -- not even close to the best in the history of the game -- keeps making it to the final 15. The hall of fame should have a special wing -- make that a closet -- for special teams players. That would be better than having punters such as Guy -- who participated in probably an average of five plays a game -- somehow knocking real players such as Dawson out of spots in the finals. Put Guy in the special category, along with Steve Tasker if you must and a few kickers. They can even put in a long-snapper because, as the supporters of kickers and punters have argued for years, they are part of the game too.

Sometimes hindsight isn't 20-20
It's good to see Mike Tomlin stick by his guns, but does he think we believe that if he had to do it over again, had he time to think about it, he would really order his team to go for a two-point conversion from the 12 with 10:29 left in his first playoff game?

You can argue one way or the other about him going for two at the 2, but once the penalty came, he had to kick it for the small chance of making it from the 12 -- the risk vs. reward was not in Tomlin's favor on this one.

"Yes, I'd do it again," Tomlin said. "I throw caution to the wind. I play to win."

On this one, however, he threw common-sense to the wind.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,902 Times in 1,636 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: The Grass Menagerie

I hope we stick with grass it has been the steeler way forever I would hate to see the change and believe artificial would cause easier injuries.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,504 Times in 3,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
I hope we stick with grass it has been the steeler way forever I would hate to see the change and believe artificial would cause easier injuries.
Forever = 2001?
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
I don't know. I wouldn't mind seeing the Stones in concert again!

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
I mediocre team playing on grass....sounds like a great idea.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Three Rivers Stadium had artificial turf, not grass. So it hasn't been the Steelers way "forever", just since they started playing at Heinz Field in 2001.

I would rather them go with the new FieldTurf than stick with grass. No more marshy field. We could have painted endzones and the Steelers logo at midfiend due to the eaze of switching out the field decorations. It would save the Steelers money because there would be no need to water or cut the grass, because there would be none.

Our offense is slowly changing. Fast Willie Parker is our running back now, not Jerome The Bus Bettis. One of the fastest players on the team is starting wideout Santonio Holmes. I wouldn't mind seeing them play all their home games on Field Turf, wich would help maximize their speed because they wouldn't be slipping and falling on a muddy field.

You remember the debacle the Dolphins game was? I wouldn't want that again. If the field had been decent, we would have killed them. Instead it was a 3-0 win because the field negated absolutley any advantages we had.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #7
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
Three Rivers Stadium had artificial turf, not grass. So it hasn't been the Steelers way "forever", just since they started playing at Heinz Field in 2001.

I would rather them go with the new FieldTurf than stick with grass. No more marshy field. We could have painted endzones and the Steelers logo at midfiend due to the eaze of switching out the field decorations. It would save the Steelers money because there would be no need to water or cut the grass, because there would be none.

Our offense is slowly changing. Fast Willie Parker is our running back now, not Jerome The Bus Bettis. One of the fastest players on the team is starting wideout Santonio Holmes. I wouldn't mind seeing them play all their home games on Field Turf, wich would help maximize their speed because they wouldn't be slipping and falling on a muddy field.

You remember the debacle the Dolphins game was? I wouldn't want that again. If the field had been decent, we would have killed them. Instead it was a 3-0 win because the field negated absolutley any advantages we had.
That's a myth. The maintenance costs aren't that drastic.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,504 Times in 3,739 Posts

I liked the part of the article where the Steelers used to defend playing on the green cement at TRS by claiming the rug lessened injuries as compared to playing on grass- the injury stats are a red herring regardless of whether the stats being used to defend grass or FieldTurf

Bottom line is the grass goes because the lousy field conditions finally were exposed to the nation during the Miami game and the Rooneys were humiliated - otherwise the grass would stay - the chatter about the Rooneys suddenly claiming that now the Stones can play Heinz Field and more free agents can be signed from that windfall is just a way for the Rooneys to avoid admitting they were wrong by insisting on grass for so long
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
Jeremy
Banned

Look, the fake grass is the wave of the future. Players are getting a lot faster and they want a surface that shows off their speed. The Steelers can either can with the future or get left behind.

Now with that being said, I don't think it'll ever really catch on in baseball because of the differences between the sports.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
''

How did you like the ...... hmmm ,,,,,,,,,,, grass, at Three Rivers Stadium?

The great thing about Field Turf's Duraspine is that it can be ordered in custom colors. I'd love to see Heinz Field with a black and gold turf.

Last edited by plenewken; 01-20-2008 at 12:45 PM.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote