Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-20-2008, 12:18 PM   #21
GeneralRobinson
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5611
Default Re: The Grass Menagerie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Those are player's opinions! You can't tell the difference between facts and opinions?
The survey is based on the first hand experience of NFL players. So, yes, I would call that a fact.
GeneralRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #22
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralRobinson View Post
The survey is based on the first hand experience of NFL players. So, yes, I would call that a fact.
Surveys are opinions. Don't confuse a survey with a fact. You found an opinion poll, good for you. But that doesn't mean that what they think is true.

What I know is the Steelers lost their starting running back and starting fullback to injuries this season. One got hurt on grass and one got hurt on turf. And by the way, the guy who got hurt on turf has been one of the biggest advocates of putting in turf at Heinz Field.

That's also a "fact."
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #23
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,773 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiller View Post
This is such an easy solution it is ridiculous

1 - dont schedule a Steelers game the same weekend as the high school games

2 - kick gayass Pitt Panthers the F out of the stadium. They are a disgrace
Agree with point 1 although I think the field is shot after the highs school games no matter how much rest it then gets - a major part of the Miami game screwup was trying to lay sod and then play another game within 72 hours of the high school games

As for getting rid of "gay ass" Pitt a condition of public financing for Heinz was that Pitt get access to Heinz since Pitt Stadium was not going to be replaced with a solely Panthers football only facility
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #24
Steeldude
Living Legend

isn't this new artificial turf better than the old three rivers' turf? meaning not as hard and so forth.

i found this link giving some interesting info on durapine turf...

Quote:
FieldTurf is fundamentally different from all others. Stable, firm not spongy, non-abrasive and uniform in traction, FieldTurf is engineered to play and feel like natural grass. On FieldTurf, players perform with confidence - and never experience the accelerated fatigue and muscle / joint stress associated with lightweight, rubber-filled systems. Like blades of natural grass, FieldTurf’s fibers are soft and easy to slide on. They are surrounded and stabilized by FieldTurf’s patented, heavy fill - the “artificial earth” that so clearly sets FieldTurf apart.
http://fieldturfinfo.com/duraspine

just click on "What Makes Field Turf Different" in the drop-down menu under "The Engineered System".
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:25 PM   #25
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,773 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote:

But didn't that same survey rank Heinz below any NFL field other than Oakland's?
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #26
GeneralRobinson
Bench Warmer

Quote:
And by the way, the guy who got hurt on turf has been one of the biggest advocates of putting in turf at Heinz Field.

That's also a "fact."
It's also a fact that he's part of the very small minority of Steelers players who advocate field turf.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:41 PM   #27
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

if only they weren't 5 highschool games played in it... we'd be fine...
Old 01-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #28
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
It's also a fact that he's part of the very small minority of Steelers players who advocate field turf.
According to Dan Rooney.....
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #29
GeneralRobinson
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
But didn't that same survey rank Heinz below any NFL field other than Oakland's?
I don't dispute the fact that the Heinz Field surface is more challenging to play on come winter time. Oakand's stadium has similar issues when it rains because the field is below or right around sea level, so the water has no where to drain and causes the track to be slippery.

Again, my issue with field turf is player wear and tear, and the players' feedback on this, as outlined in the survey, is overwhelmingly that grass subjects them to less wear and tear on their bodies. That has to be strongly taken into consideration in the club's decision, one that I hope will result in leaving the surface as is.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:52 PM   #30
GeneralRobinson
Bench Warmer

Quote:
According to Dan Rooney.....
According to Ed Bouchette:

Quote:
Steelers players prefer grass to artificial turf
Thursday, November 29, 2007 By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The NFL, the media and even the Steelers' fans are unhappy with the mucky conditions at Heinz Field. Yet, in an informal survey of players yesterday, the Steelers overwhelmingly favored the grass -- or dirt or muck -- in their home stadium over having any kind of artificial turf installed.

And the Bog Bowl conditions in which the Steelers won a late 3-0 game against the Miami Dolphins not only drew one of the largest TV audiences on Monday Night Football this season, it attracted more fans late in the game than any other this season.

Apparently, football fans still love watching a game played in the rain and muck more than they do perfect conditions -- even if they complain about it afterward

The game pulled a 9.9 rating, the third-most viewed on ESPN on Monday night this year. But it did not reach its peak until the 15 minutes between 11:15 and 11:30, when it grew to an 11.2 rating. Traditionally, ESPN reaches its peak viewership on Monday nights between 9:45 p.m. and 10 p.m. They had not experienced a spike that late all year.

"It built up as the game went on," said Bill Hofheimer, director of communications for ESPN. "It was the latest any game peaked. It was such a close game, and the circumstances were unique."

Steelers president Art Rooney II said this week that one reason they try to maintain a grass field is that their players prefer it. Many of those players concurred yesterday.

"You ask any player in here, take a vote, whether they want turf or grass," declared Hines Ward, captain of the offense. "I guarantee you everybody will say grass."

Of those asked, only Willie Parker -- his nickname is Fast after all -- said he preferred artificial turf because it helps him run. When pressed, kicker Jeff Reed, who at first said he preferred grass, admitted he would rather kick on artificial turf than the gumbo that Heinz Field has become.

That was about it. Ward said the players prefer grass because they believe it is safer and gives them a competitive edge -- even when the grass nubs are worn down to dirt, mud or there's soggy sod.

"It's better than turf," Ward said. "Dirt? That's home-field advantage. We play on it, we're used to playing on it. It doesn't really bother us.

"Yes, it was yucky, it was terrible, but that turf -- Troy [Polamalu] banged his knee on the turf, Santonio [Holmes] sprained his ankle. That turf doesn't give. Once your foot, whenever it gets locked in on it, it's a wrap. Maybe on grass it slides and gives."

Even before the Bog Bowl that took place Monday night when 1.31 inches of rainfall met newly installed New Jersey sod to create a mucky mix, NFL players voted Heinz Field the worst grass surface in the league in a 2006 survey. Even the Steelers' players ranked it poorly as a home surface.

Those Steelers players, however, believe that while it may not be a great surface, it is better than artificial.

"I need the grass," cornerback Ike Taylor said. "I like the mud, I like sloppiness, I'm used to it. So Mr. Rooney, can we please keep the grass? I don't want no FieldTurf, it's bad on your knees. I'm healthy right now and I would like to stay that way."

Steelers players apparently are not swayed by their brethren on other teams. Cincinnati switched to FieldTurf in 2004, and Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer said yesterday that he loves it.

"Personally, I kind of like the old school, I like the grass," Palmer said. "I like to get a uniform dirty. But from what it used to be here, our turf was always bad. I know yours up there is bad because of the situation you are in, but ours was bad all year long. ... So I like the turf better here now just because the grass was so bad. But I'd rather have a good grass field."

The Steelers don't have that, and maybe never will if they stay with grass because of all the games that are played at Heinz Field.

"I would much rather play on real grass," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "I like our field, even when it's dirt. We understand what it's like, we understand the footing.

"It's been like this since Heinz Field was built. Obviously, all this concern is because of the Monday Night monsoon. Teams come in and complain about it, but, when you come into Heinz Field, you better bring in your big-boy cleats and be ready to go."
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07333/837695-13.stm