Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #71
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default Re: The Grass Menagerie

By The Way
I do like the idea of having the artificial turf myself. I am sure that there is better turf than what used to be in Three Rivers Stadium. Times have changed and theres got to be better turf out there. I think that Willie Parkers speed will show up more and the speed of Santonio Holmes will show up better as well. I know that there is a scare of injuries with it, but there is injuries that happen anywhere.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:05 AM   #72
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
Yeah and Forbes Field was grass before that....

Yeah and the Steelers SUCKED RICHARD'S DONKEY while playing at Forbes Field.

The best Steelers teams played on an artificial surface. The best football team ever assembled, the 70's Steelers, lost only 1 player to an injury that could be attributed to the artificial surface, that was Jack Lambert who was becomming long of tooth when he sustained a career ending turf toe injury.

Oh yes, I don't want to forget about the Rod Woodson knee injury. In my opinion, Barry Sanders was more to blame than the turf. Besides, Woodson came back that year and then played another what, 7 or 8 seasons with other teams?

Last edited by Steel Pit; 01-23-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:15 AM   #73
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Come on... This is an easy one.

Survey the team, especially the starters. Give the starters two votes to everyone else.

Do they want field turf or grass?

Grass? Great, we got grass. Field turf, great, we have field turf. Split? What do the starters want... that is what we get.

No changes until there is a majority for field turf. Then we switch over, and put it behind us.

Because honestly... I really DON'T CARE what ANYONE ELSE thinks about the field. Just our players.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:53 AM   #74
bratsinmybelly
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 2703

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
anyways, what turf do the bears use? that stuff looks great and natural, and arguably the fastest player in the nfl seems to have no problem with it.
Good Point. I also heard the announcers mention during the NFC Championship that Lambeau has a grass/turf combo. It seems to hold up well and look good. Surely that's not the same combo that we have is it? If not, we should maybe give it a look.

I have always been a little confused by our turf situation. It's been shoddy from the get go. We're not the only team in the NFL to face climate/public event challenges, but we seem to be the only team in the NFL that consistently gets embarrassed by the condition of our field. Is our situation really that unique, or are we just not handling it? Either way we need to get it fixed, and quick. It's been a distraction long enough.
bratsinmybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #75
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratsinmybelly View Post
Good Point. I also heard the announcers mention during the NFC Championship that Lambeau has a grass/turf combo. It seems to hold up well and look good. Surely that's not the same combo that we have is it? If not, we should maybe give it a look.
Lambeau Field uses DD Grassmaster, the same stuff as Heinz Field. Their field is heated. I don't know if ours is. Could be one of the reasons why it holds better. Another reason could be the number of games played there. I don't know if someone, other than the Packers, play at Lambeau.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #76
D.J.
Water Boy

Member Number: 8177

What is the deal with all you people saying that its Steeler tradition to play on grass? For thirty of our glorious years, we played on ARTIFICIAL TURF! The only thing that has changed since 1970-2000 is that we switched from the having the Pirates in the stadium to the Panthers. The reality is Heinz Field is still a multipurpose stadium. It is also home to the Panthers and the high school championships are another Pittsburgh tradition. Professional football in the 21st century was not meant to be played in goo gobs of mud or patches popping up like a toupee on a ball man?s head falling off. The synthetic surfaces of today are equal or better than real grass and statistically just as safe or safer and it just does not make sense continuing to try force this grass experiment to work when it has been obvious since 2001 that it won't work. Heinz Field has too much going on to even think about it any longer. Professional football (as well as college) should demand a PROFESSIONAL playing surface. Period. Ultimately, the Steelers will player better. TURF PLEASE.
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:44 PM   #77
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J. View Post
What is the deal with all you people saying that its Steeler tradition to play on grass? For thirty of our glorious years, we played on ARTIFICIAL TURF! The only thing that has changed since 1970-2000 is that we switched from the having the Pirates in the stadium to the Panthers. The reality is Heinz Field is still a multipurpose stadium. It is also home to the Panthers and the high school championships are another Pittsburgh tradition. Professional football in the 21st century was not meant to be played in goo gobs of mud or patches popping up like a toupee on a ball man?s head falling off. The synthetic surfaces of today are equal or better than real grass and statistically just as safe or safer and it just does not make sense continuing to try force this grass experiment to work when it has been obvious since 2001 that it won't work. Heinz Field has too much going on to even think about it any longer. Professional football (as well as college) should demand a PROFESSIONAL playing surface. Period. Ultimately, the Steelers will player better. TURF PLEASE.
Right, but they played on the sucky surface known as ASTROTURF! Astroturf is even worse then Field Turf. The place that hosts my district's championship games in A-AAA has said turf which was used at Three Rivers. Three Rivers was better then the turf I'm talking about, but still, the Steelers have done great with Grass. So keep it.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote