Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-20-2008, 10:54 PM   #11
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Re: Are we losing our Physical Stamp??

The only place where the Steelers are losing their physical edge is in the trenches. Our O-Line is soft. I can't count how many times Ben was pressured up the middle this year. We need a mauler at Center and Guard.

D-Line needs some help too. We really, REALLY missed Aaron Smith.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:56 PM   #12
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

Although some of the individual players HAVE been physical recently, I do not think the same can be said for the team as a whole. I partly agree witht he OP on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:43 AM   #13
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
enough with the WIllie parker isnt physical shit.... he plays tough and hes not like some small scatback like Maurice JonesDrew... hes fast, but he gets a lot of yards in between the tackles
i think it's a little unfair to call MoJo a scatback because he basically only runs dive plays... while scatbacks are usually ones who bounce runs to the outside...

anyway just becaues we are turning into a finesse team does not mean we lose our physicality... besides Ike is one of the most physical CBs....
Old 01-21-2008, 04:50 AM   #14
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,639 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I think we are still physical we had alot of games where players wasn't a 100% we need to address a center and be more physical there but all around we are a good pysical football team.
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #15
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
Ike Taylor is one of the more physical corners in the NFL .
No he isnt. Im a big Ike Taylor fan and he is definitely a very good corner but is not as physical as you state

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
and Anthony Smith can knock somebody's head off..
Ya but we benched him for a guy that cant tackle or run fast.....oh and it cost us our season too
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:18 AM   #16
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

In a word......yes.

Almost every unit on the football team could stand to be far tougher than it is right now.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #17
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

Quote:
Originally Posted by noto45 View Post
Does anyone feel like we are no longer going to be the physical team we used to be?? Out Star running back is not a big physical back. our defensive corners are not physical. Our defensive pass rush is not physical nor is our offensive line?? Am I crazy or do i see a trend here???
The Pittsburgh Steelers as a team , not withstanding certain players like Ward and Harrison , were clearly not physical and did not play with pace through out the year.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind . It hurt when one national commentator said that Jacksonville played more like the Pittsburgh Steelers than the the real Pittsburgh Steelers.

Coy Bacon, defensive lineman, of the Cinncinnati Bengals in the 70's in a moment of honesty said he used to get so nervous when the Steelers came to play the Bengals that he would literaly get the shakes. This past team did not cause any such worry for any opponent.

The Steelers must get their swagger back and they can but it is only going to happen if they recognize they lost it. The Final Jacksonville game in some ways , especially the second half showed me the potential is there. I must admit I saw the fire in that game. Stupid play calling doused that fire out, did it not.
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:31 PM   #18
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Our CB's are not physical... BY SCHEME. Dang... I swear I am getting blue in the face explaining this.

Ok people. Class is in session. LeBeau deploys the zone blitz scheme. That means we send blitzes from all different areas, leaving specific zones open, making other players responsible for those zones that have been left. When a left outside or inside LB blitzes from his zone, the CB on that side is responsible for covering any and all runs through that zone. If the CB plays physical, up on the line, the WR can lock up on him and it opens the zone for a major run. The CB HAS to play unphysical, staying off the WR until it is CLEAR that the play is a run play. At that point, the receiver is usually beyond the 5 yard barrier for contact.

Thus, our CB's are not physical BY DESIGN OF DICK LEBEAU.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:37 PM   #19
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiller View Post
No he isnt. Im a big Ike Taylor fan and he is definitely a very good corner but is not as physical as you state

Ya but we benched him for a guy that cant tackle or run fast.....oh and it cost us our season too
No kidding, I hated the move to sit Smith...I mean, maybe not start him, make him think about it, but to be benched, that sucked, the kid is a monster hitter and just is raw in his decision making, so they went to a true "safety" that was just going to sit back and keep everything underneath him...23 yard scrambles underneath him.

Anthony Smith will be Starting next season, and I have feeling, by the time next year is over, people will know his name.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:39 PM   #20
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
No kidding, I hated the move to sit Smith...I mean, maybe not start him, make him think about it, but to be benched, that sucked, the kid is a monster hitter and just is raw in his decision making, so they went to a true "safety" that was just going to sit back and keep everything underneath him...23 yard scrambles underneath him.

Anthony Smith will be Starting next season, and I have feeling, by the time next year is over, people will know his name.
I love the kid. He is our future. I also loved the fact that the kid got benched. Like Ike last year, I think it will be a driving factor in the offseason. He will grow from that benching and hopefully come back to be a GREAT FS.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote