Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-21-2008, 05:40 PM   #21
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default Re: Are we losing our Physical Stamp??

It all starts with the guy snapping the ball. That's my opinion. Losing our Center to retirement was the biggest issue we had to overcome, and our free agent pick up didn't get the job done. If your center is a beast, the people around him will be monsters as well. If your Center is a kittycat...then the others around him will eventually take on his purring.

That's where it all starts. Give me a Monster Beast, Flesh Eating, Back Breaking Head Smashing, Life Taking CENTER and I'll be happy going into the Season next year.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #22
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I love the kid. He is our future. I also loved the fact that the kid got benched. Like Ike last year, I think it will be a driving factor in the offseason. He will grow from that benching and hopefully come back to be a GREAT FS.
I'm sure you are right, I think the decision to bench him did have some "long term goals" in mind. Getting his head straight. If he never made that prediction, would he still have gotten benched for a couple blown coverages, probably not. It was probably a "grow up kid" decision as much as anything.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:46 PM   #23
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
I'm sure you are right, I think the decision to bench him did have some "long term goals" in mind. Getting his head straight. If he never made that prediction, would he still have gotten benched for a couple blown coverages, probably not. It was probably a "grow up kid" decision as much as anything.
Absolutely... and a good way of putting it.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #24
youngsteeler58
Water Boy

Member Number: 8150
Exclamation are we losing our "old school" identity?

why in the world do we need a mascot? For years, we have been know as an "old school" team. There has been no "pretty boy" image, like the patriots have. Now all of a sudden, we have a goofy mascot. I thought we were "old school", no frills just football. People want to get rid of the grass, some are talking about a dome, and now we have a mascot. What is gonna be next? Cheerleaders!?
youngsteeler58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #25
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I love the kid. He is our future. I also loved the fact that the kid got benched. Like Ike last year, I think it will be a driving factor in the offseason. He will grow from that benching and hopefully come back to be a GREAT FS.
I honestly think that the Steelers are ok at FS for now, but if Clark or Smith does not step up this upcoming season, then it is time to get someone to play across from Polomalu. I just hate the thought of anyone on any team, especially the Steelers, to gaurentee a win... that just doesnt work. I like the way the Steelers went into our Super Bowl run 3 years ago, Ben saying " we will have to play a perfect game to win "... all along, I betcha that he was smiling inside saying... " yeah... we are gonna kick their butts " Vs the Colts
Oh yeah, we are really losing our Physicall way of playing offense, but our defense is still as physical as they come I believe

Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #26
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,084 Times in 4,585 Posts
Default Re: are we losing our "old school" identity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsteeler58 View Post
why in the world do we need a mascot? For years, we have been know as an "old school" team. There has been no "pretty boy" image, like the patriots have. Now all of a sudden, we have a goofy mascot. I thought we were "old school", no frills just football. People want to get rid of the grass, some are talking about a dome, and now we have a mascot. What is gonna be next? Cheerleaders!?
SLURPIES dammit! heinz field needs SLURPIES!

...and a smoothie stand! some people simply dont want beer when they go to a game.

...and peanuts should be replaced with powder blue and pink cotton candy!

instead of fans waving their terrible towel they can wave their bags of pastel colored fuzzy sugar!

you just cant do that with nuts....
Old 01-23-2008, 05:58 AM   #27
VTsteel
Starter

Member Number: 8161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
It all starts with the guy snapping the ball. That's my opinion. Losing our Center to retirement was the biggest issue we had to overcome, and our free agent pick up didn't get the job done. If your center is a beast, the people around him will be monsters as well. If your Center is a kittycat...then the others around him will eventually take on his purring.

That's where it all starts. Give me a Monster Beast, Flesh Eating, Back Breaking Head Smashing, Life Taking CENTER and I'll be happy going into the Season next year.

I completely agree with this. Mahan didn't get the job done and I don't believe he is the right center piece for the o-line. Is he worhty of being Faneca's replacement? - Maybe. But, our percieved lack of physicality all begins in the trenches. I.M.O. - We need a quality, hard-nosed center to set the tone.
VTsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #28
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I felt this way a couple of times during Cowher's reign. However, what I learned during those times was that the expectation I set as a fan was unrealistic. Every team has seasons where they are not themselves. And although we won the division the team was not the Pittsburgh Steelers that, I, as a fan remember.

I believe that they will find that physicality, on both sides of the ball, in 2008 and make those who need to pay - pay dearly!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #29
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

but u could throw the nuts at ppl tho...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #30
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,084 Times in 4,585 Posts

after the rooneys take a wrecking ball to heinz field and build a dome, they should blast in Olivia Newton John's "Lets Get Physical" over the PA's as the steelers take the field.

that will show the opponents how tough we are...

oh, and we need more spit from tomlin, along with that thing where all the players circle around him with an arm towards the center as he yells "one...two...three...PHYSICAL"