Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #11
rich4eagle
Starter

Member Number: 399
My Mood: Worried
Default Re: Tomlin's mantra: Youth must be served

I think a better strategy would be to get a first down with two minutes to and first and ten with the game in balance..................players play but the best cannot overcome bad play calling
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #12
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

I sure do hope we trade down a bit. I don't think we need to spend two first day picks on the o-line, unless we DO NOT get a first round OT (because of some incredible value for someone else), or we completely ignore the position in FA.

But back to the trade down ... Ok, we need youth at D-line and o-line, But holding onto max starks one more year, and addressing the O-line through FA, could save us a Day 1 pick on the o-line, becasue this draft is going to be loaded w/ skill position players in rounds 2-3, absolutely loaded.

The top end of the draft is going to be QB, OL, and DL heavy ... w/ your occasional WR like Manningham, or a RB like D-mac.

If we can't snag one of the top OT prospects at whatever # we draft at (what 25?) then trading down, and having another pick on Day one would be AWESOME. because they WR's and RB's are going to be coming off the board a lot between picks 25-50.

trading down to aroudn 30, and picking up a late second or early third would be crucial. A team like Miami that's loaded w/ Day 1 Picks (and a new VP of O Parcells who loves draft day trading), would be an excellent team to target.
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #13
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

I say if we resign starks, try and address Guard or C in FA, and spend a first round pick on an OT, we should be fine.

But if we lose Faneca, Starks, and don't bring in ANYYYYYYONE in FA ... then we probably need to spend a 1st and a 3rd on O-line, that's why trading down and having an extra Day 1 pick to snag a Tall WR or young RB would be ideal, because the skill positions, like i said, will be very heavy in rounds 2-3.
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:30 PM   #14
steel striker
Banned

Member Number: 7251

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Trying to go for first downs should be his mantra when you have 3 min left in a game....
:iagree
That play calling still ticks me off to no end and, are we the only team that plays to lose in big games? Cohwer use to do the samething at times and, I understand when you have a poor qb. We have big ben and, the whole game we threw the ball but, at the most important time of the game we run it. All i can say is AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Sorry for ranting again now i feel better! Not! Oh well there always next year.

Last edited by steel striker; 01-21-2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: opps
steel striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:58 PM   #15
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
We'll be taking an O-lineman in the first round. No worries there folks. Most likely D-line in the 2nd round, then O-line again in the 3rd, and filling the rest of the draft with DBs, and WRs, maybe a RB really late.

We don't need QB
We don't need TE
We don't need a P
We don't need a K
We don't need LBs
We don't need RBs (well maybe a new #2 guy)
We may need Corners but we are pretty loaded there, just need guys to play better.
We don't need Safeties, either type.

We need a Center, A tackle and at least 1 guard on offense
We need a young nose tackle to groom, and a DE to groom and get time for injuries.
Oh, and we need special team monsters.
I am MORE then willing to wait until next year to pick these up. I would rather spend 2nd day picks on long shots with a big upside at O line and WR, and lb's (they are usually fast enough to play St's, and big enough to not get mauled.)
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:43 AM   #16
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
:iagree
That play calling still ticks me off to no end and, are we the only team that plays to lose in big games? Cohwer use to do the samething at times and, I understand when you have a poor qb. We have big ben and, the whole game we threw the ball but, at the most important time of the game we run it. All i can say is AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Sorry for ranting again now i feel better! Not! Oh well there always next year.
Will you guys get over this already? What does this have to do with the topic at hand?

I'TS OVER. MOVE ON!
Old 01-22-2008, 12:56 AM   #17
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,422 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
Yeah, never mind the Giants played the exact same way in a very similar situation on the road against the Cowboys. They wound up winning, we lost. Shit happens. Get over it.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 AM   #18
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Yeah, never mind the Giants played the exact same way in a very similar situation on the road against the Cowboys. They wound up winning, we lost. Shit happens. Get over it.
That's why I just ignored it!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #19
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I am MORE then willing to wait until next year to pick these up. I would rather spend 2nd day picks on long shots with a big upside at O line and WR, and lb's (they are usually fast enough to play St's, and big enough to not get mauled.)
I don't know about getting another LB early...I mean, we addressed that last season, I'm finally coming around to the idea of drafting both sides of the line heavy this draft, and skipping or at least waiting for the Skill players until either really late in the draft or maybe a trade or free agent signing. Timmons had better be the ST captain next season if he isn't the starting linebacker. That's something he needs to become, if he wants to be the future of the defense. Woodley has proven to me, he was a steal in the 2nd round and really is a force. With Silverback on the other side, LBs are pretty solid right now. Also, Anthony Smith had better grow up and perform better all around, including on kick coverage. I'm even willing to wait on RB and not draft one to allow Russell and Davis to develop this off season. I'm about done with the Najeh experiment, he is a career back up, but not the guy we need to pound the ball late in games to kill clock. Davis or Russell could be that guy.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #20
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
We'll be taking an O-lineman in the first round. No worries there folks. Most likely D-line in the 2nd round, then O-line again in the 3rd, and filling the rest of the draft with DBs, and WRs, maybe a RB really late.

We don't need QB
We don't need TE
We don't need a P
We don't need a K
We don't need LBs
We don't need RBs (well maybe a new #2 guy)
We may need Corners but we are pretty loaded there, just need guys to play better.
We don't need Safeties, either type.
We need a Center, A tackle and at least 1 guard on offense
We need a young nose tackle to groom, and a DE to groom and get time for injuries.
Oh, and we need special team monsters.
We don't need QB - agree
We don't need TE - agree
We don't need a P - agree
We don't need a K - agree
We don't need LBs - we will most likely lose Haggans so a LB although not a need, it would be prudent to pick one up. look for a STs guy
We don't need RBs (well maybe a new #2 guy) - maybe not, this is not an area of need either. a dynamic returner fills a need though so I'll give you that one
We may need Corners but we are pretty loaded there, just need guys to play better.- agree
We don't need Safeties, either type. - I'll argue that, we have a bunch of midgets for back-ups. did you see Carter play in the Jags game?? New blood may help STs
We need a Center, A tackle and at least 1 guard on offense -We need tackles moreso than guards, Colon would be better served at guard IMO
We need a young nose tackle to groom, and a DE to groom and get time for injuries. - now your talking, this to me IS THE area of need. we need new young studs for now and the future.
Oh, and we need special team monsters.- DBs & LBs

And for what it's worth, we should try to resign Starks so we're not sweating OTs on draft day.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote