Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Stlr4ever
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7925
Default '08-'09 Season will be tougher

AFC-North will be tougher--can't take Browns & Bungles for granted.
We will be playing the Colts (entire AFC-S?) at home and Pats in NE.

We need to have much better offense, defense and STs to be able to compete for AFC-N title, AFCC. If we are lucky enough to get the AFCC, we will be facing a much stronger NFC team. The Eagles and Giants came pretty close to beating the Pats. Our team & the Jags were not even close!! Go figure.
Stlr4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: '08-'09 Season will be tougher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlr4ever View Post
AFC-North will be tougher--can't take Browns & Bungles for granted.
We will be playing the Colts (entire AFC-S?) at home and Pats in NE.

We need to have much better offense, defense and STs to be able to compete for AFC-N title, AFCC. If we are lucky enough to get the AFCC, we will be facing a much stronger NFC team. The Eagles and Giants came pretty close to beating the Pats. Our team & the Jags were not even close!! Go figure.
We have to face the reality that the Steelers are entering a couple of rebuilding years and hey - we may not win the AFCN for a few years, but that's OK. Rome wasn't built in a day.

No - we can't take the Browns for granted - especially if they play at the same level they did this season, but yes - I will take the Bungles for granted because they are a train wreck, always find a way to Bungle their season up and to put it in a nutshell - they SUCK.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

A few well picked draft choices, some guys stepping up and taking their shot at a starting position, and the veterans playing solid football is all we need to put a beating on the AFC-N and any other team in the league.

We have plenty of talent to compete.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

The cubbard is far from empty and I don't think the AFC North is out of the question at all....unless Ben is out for the year. If we lose Ben, then it will be a rough year.

The goal for this offseason must....MUST....be to draft for the OL and DL.

I refuse to count this team out 9 months before the next season begins.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
We have to face the reality that the Steelers are entering a couple of rebuilding years and hey - we may not win the AFCN for a few years, but that's OK. Rome wasn't built in a day.
idk HTG... i have a feeling next year will be somewhat of a success... anytime you have a franchise QB ready and two solid recievers and a stud RB your gona be in it for the longrun... we may not win the AFCN as you say but we'll definitely be in the playoffs... our defense is aging but not yet to the point of the ravens and tampa bay... dont worri... we will have success!
Old 01-21-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
idk HTG... i have a feeling next year will be somewhat of a success... anytime you have a franchise QB ready and two solid recievers and a stud RB your gona be in it for the longrun... we may not win the AFCN as you say but we'll definitely be in the playoffs... our defense is aging but not yet to the point of the ravens and tampa bay... dont worri... we will have success!
It's great that we have a franchise QB, 2 solid wideouts and a stud RB, but the success of an offense is largely dependent upon a team's OL and our OL desperately needs revamped. It still amazes me that Ben and FWP had as much success as they did this past season with that line. Our defense is definitely aging and no - we aren't in desperation mode yet, but the key word is YET. Why wait until they have no choice but to replace them - start rebuilding both the OL and the DL NOW.

Geez- don't skin me alive guys. I didn't say they don't have a chance to win the AFCN. I simply said they "may not" because they are in rebuilding mode. For the Steelers to be successful not only next season but in the seasons that follow, they need to start putting the puzzle together now instead of later, imho.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
Steelerfan93
Water Boy

Member Number: 2546

Well I don't see where we ar in a Rebuilding Mode Not when we have a lot of Young Talent in Holmes Parker Nate WAshinton HEath Miller Matt Spraeth and the Offensive line is PRetty young still, I think we will be fine Next year and we will win the Division again I,m not to Worried about the Browns and the Bengals why should we be worried about them they Suck they always will like they always same old Crapy Bengals, and I,m from the Philly Area the Eagles Suck they will not be a problem for the Steelers, and New England and Indy will be good game, But I think we will be ready next year the coaching Staff will have a Second year under their Belt we will be fine Super Bowl Champs next year
Old 01-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
It's great that we have a franchise QB, 2 solid wideouts and a stud RB, but the success of an offense is largely dependent upon a team's OL and our OL desperately needs revamped. It still amazes me that Ben and FWP had as much success as they did this past season with that line. Our defense is definitely aging and no - we aren't in desperation mode yet, but the key word is YET. Why wait until they have no choice but to replace them - start rebuilding both the OL and the DL NOW.

Geez- don't skin me alive guys. I didn't say they don't have a chance to win the AFCN. I simply said they "may not" because they are in rebuilding mode. For the Steelers to be successful not only next season but in the seasons that follow, they need to start putting the puzzle together now instead of later, imho.
Come on now HTG, in Pittsburgh we don't rebuild(Well in Football and Hockey at least) We Reload. lol. that's the mode I see us in. We're just reloading.

but yeah we're going to have to fix things up if we are going to compete for back-to-back AFCN titles and not only that, but to go deep in the playoffs. Tomlin laid out a good foundation now, we'll just have to build on it and get rid of the deadweight.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Next year will be tough, but I see us making the playoffs. And on that point, I don't see much difference in winning the division or the wildcard if you still have to play in the wild card round. Of course, I always want us to play at home, but if you can't beat the weakest division winner away in the wild card round, how are you going to advance past the divisional round, away against presumably a better team. Naturally a bye in the first round is preferable, but hard to come by in the AFC.

Having a tougher schedule is not necessarily a bad thing. I could see us getting a wildcard at 10-6 next year but being a better team.

As for the New England game, how about we play them in England instead of Boston? Come on Kraft, do what right for the league. New England and Big Ben in Old England – what could be better?
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #10
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

It will be tougher, and if we can upgrade in the OL, and a few other spots. I believe we can do it.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote