Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default Colbert

This has been bugging me for quite some time, so I need to get it off my chest and mind.

We all know that the Rooneys are 'frugal', and for the most part admire and respect thier 'fiscal responsibility'. The Steelers build thru the draft, they do not throw money away in FA. Why is it then that Colbert is'nt more aggressive in trying to make deals.

We lost ARE to FA and never replaced his abilities on the field. We are still in need of a returnman now. Our STs have been suffering the last couple of years. Meanwhile the Pats made two significant moves in the off-season that Colbert should have made. No, I'm not talking about Moss for a 4th rounder. I'm talking about the Pats signing K. Washington WR, and W. Welker WR. We all know what Welker did this year for the Pats, over 100 catches and a solid returnman. We all should know Washington as well. Washington, 6'3" 216lbs, was a WR on the Bengals roster before the Pats picked him up. This big, physical WR did'nt catch many balls sitting behind all the other WRs in N.E.. What he did do was rank in the top three tacklers on STs. Now maybe to some this does'nt sound like much, but we could have had those two instead of W. Ried and C. Wilson. Welker is a better WR and returner than Wilson, and we could have used Washington on STs. Ried sure has'nt done anything on STs. Maybe someone can find out if we are actually paying more for Ced and Reid, than N.E. is paying for Welker and Washington. Let's not forget that we basically lost an active player on the roster and a 6th round pick this year because we had to get Rossum because Reid was and is a bust.

My other issue goes back to last years draft. I think alot of us would have liked to have seen us trade down last year, that pick 15 was to high for Timmons. We now know that they are looking to move Timmons inside. We could have traded our 1st round pick last year for Clev.'s 1st this year and Clev.'s 2nd last year (Dallas made the move). We could have easily taken the Jets 2nd round pick (Harris ILB) and still picked up Woodley. It was no secret that Clev. was dying to make a move to pick up B. Quinn. Colbert dropped the ball, would'nt we all love that second 1st round pick this year.

I know, hindsight is 20/20 right?? You don't need hindsight to know that Welker and Washington are the exact type of guys the Steelers normally go after in FA (no big names, no big money). I think we all believe that Colbert and Tomlin jumped a little too quick at Timmons.

I'm just saying that I expect more, and hopefully we get more this offseason.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,010 Times in 4,558 Posts
Default Re: Colbert

we rarely hear from colbert. for anyone who hasnt checked it out, i'd suggest to listenning to colberts interview with shein and wilcots last week on sirius, linked in delhess's channel 124 thread in the media section.

while it may not answer some of these questions, it squashes all doubts of the steelers knowing bens true value and whether they will try to low ball him when it comes to contract extension time.

sirius also had scott pioli on for a great interview on the same day. them trading for/ signing welker was an easy choice. as he said, they played the dolphins twice a year and no matter what the patriots did they could never stop or prevent welker from getting open. this is one of the leagues best teams not being able to stop a player on one of the leagues worst teams.

the patriots landed him thanks to the familiarity and him perfectly fitting their wants and desires. like wayne chrebet was for the jets, the patriots knew they needed a new mascott. the steelers already had steeley mcbeam.

also a 2nd and 7th round pick was a high price to pay for ALL teams except for the patriots. most teams need their 2nd round picks. the patriots knew most of their picks wouldnt make the roster anyways (only their 1st rounder from 07 draft made the team). the patriots can afford to piss away 1st rounders in cheating scandals.

basically a 2nd rounder was too expensive fro 31 other teams, but nothing to the pats. theres nobody they couldve drafted to give them welkers production. theres no team who woulda traded for welker, to be nothing more than a 3rd option in the passing game.

weler is the new kevin faulk or troy brown for the patriots offense. these players will always be more valuable to the pats than any other team because they can accept a secondary role and still step up as a high priced starter whenever asked.

if randle el played for the pats as the slot guy, he would put up numbers he never dreamed of in washington or pittsburgh.

the patriots offense is set up where the dink and dunk checkdown is often the safest and "best" play. (see kevin faulks #'s from sunday).

i dont know if ben would have the time to progress through his reads and finally "settle" on the final option.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

From what I keep hearing from Colbert...I am beginning to think that if we only get one free agent this year..it might be OT Travell Wharton ..only because that one pickup not only immediately upgrades our line...but opens up our draft a great deal more.
I have to think that we are very happy with FWP, but if Jonathan Stewart falls to us in the first, and we have picked up an OT in Free Agency... Colbert will be tempted to give the Steelers the best 1-2 RB punch in the NFL.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Welker was a trade....not a FA signing. And the Steelers did make a trade for a return man when they picked up Allen Rossum.

The simple fact is the depth chart is littered with Cowher projects right now. It's going to take a couple of years to get rid of all the Cowher projects and replace them with solid players.

Sometime inactivity is the best kind of activity you can have.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

My bad, totally spaced out that the Pats gave up a 2nd rounder for Welker.

The jist is the same though.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
slippy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5848

our last three drafts have been terrible!!!

just compare to the giants last 3 drafts. giants are a team that does things very similar to the steelers.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #7
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

the thing about the steelers organization is that the rooneys are disceplined. give ARE a big contract and then you have to give willie a big contract, then ben, then hines, then harrison, polamalu and the list will go on and on, if they keep all contracts small then players dont expect to get big money, but still play hard because they are treated very well by the rooneys. notice you dont here about when our QB gets injured he has to stay home and he doesnt get to come to the game(eagles-mcnabb).what the saints did last year is basically a year around thing for the steelers, they give, participate, and help with the needy. i support us being tight, and yet i still wish they did some things different but i know that this way will pay off in 2yrs instead of being a 1 yr thing.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I love the Steelers front office and owners etc. I think that they usually make good decisions. I just know that they chose Alonzo Jackson a few years back hoping to turn him into a OLB from DE and that Didnt Work Did It? I just hope that the Steelers didnt make a mistake again with Timmons. I know that it is early in his career and they are not moving him from DE to LB so that should help out alot. I have never played the game so I dont know how hard it is to move from OLB to MLB either. We just have to try to be patient..
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:40 AM   #9
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,902 Times in 1,636 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I like colberts way of thinking I know people make mistakes but I think they do a great job a drafting there is no team that every person from the draft works out.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:02 AM   #10
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Teh Steelers don't overspend , that is a good thing, A R E is a prime example, he got ridiculas money from the Skins. Free agency is not the way to go either, players have great seasons playing in another teams system, then sign for big money elsewhere only to be "ordinary``
Kelly Washington may have been great for teh Pats, but why sign anybody form the Bengals, you just don`t know what you`re getting there from a character standpoint.
Build through the draft and sign FA that fit our style at a reasonable price.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote