Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #11
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default Re: Yep, it's gotta be the offseason.

I don't know, hired a young fired up coach, drafted a franchise QB, got us a ring with some older talent and guys that were on their last leg and thinking retirement, and now we have to rebuild around their loss. Got us a stud WR, a Stud TE, a Stud Linebacking Core, a Stud FS that has officially changed the way the game is being played by many teams in the league. Seriosly...what have they done? Got us a new stadium, and in the process, helped the Bucs get their own ball field as well. Allowed the College team to share facilities with the pro team. Made the head coaching job more accessable to minority coaches, without us seeing the same rehash of coaches going from one team to another. Take risks on hiring coaches that prove in the long term to be great hires. Noll, Cowher, Tomlin to be determined.

What have they done for me lately. Gee I don't know. Nothing I guess.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #12
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS .... EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!

You thought the 2005 superbowl season was a springboard to another dynasty, but as Jeemster has tried to drill through your head, the 2005 Superbowl was the culmination of missed opportunities. The 2005 Superbowl team was an ending to a dynasty team that came close to, but never happened. What you are seeing in 2006 and 2007 and likely in 2008 and possibly 2009 is a team that is in transition. This team is old at the most important positions in football in the trenches. You cannot consistently win in this league in any era without great linemen on both sides of the ball. Brady's entire success this season has been predicated on an offensive line that could very well be the best in league history. The Steelers are about to begin the process of rebuilding their offensive and defensive lines. The previous time they did this was in the late 90s when, not coincidentally, they stunk. From 1998-2000 you had:

- Rookies Marvel Smith and Alan Faneca and a younger Wayne Gandy replacing veterans Justin Strelzyk and Wil Wolford and John Jackson
- A younger Jeff Hartings signed to replace a declining Dermonti Dawson at center
- Rookie Casey Hampton replacing a declining Joel Steed
- A young Aaron Smith replacing a 31 year old Kevin Henry

All of this happened in a matter of 3 seasons. The Patriots supposed "revamping" of their receiving core was done by acquiring two guys. To rebuild an offensive and defensive line takes multiple seasons to accomplish if it is to be done correctly. I believe this team will spend the next two offseasons and drafts rebuilding the offensive and defensive lines. Ben Roethlisberger has not even entered his prime years yet. By the time he does (I consider the prime years for a QB to be age 27) the lines will have been rebuilt, Santonio Holmes will have established himself as one of the better receivers in the league, Heath Miller will be comparable to Tony Gonzalez and the defense will still be great. Most importantly, the Pats and Colts will both have QBs that will be past their primes and on the downswing of their careers.

This guy straight nailed it. To a "T" ... Whoever he or she is, they have convinced me (you have to scroll down a bit to read this guys post after clicking the link) ... but boy, did he make me feel a littler better. I don't think the best years have come AT ALL for this team. at all.

We have one of the best young QB's in the league. Can u imagine how good he could be If we hit big on a few O-line picks?

We have a young, extremely articulate and learning head coach. And i feel by the time his bumps in the road are over.... and coming to an organization with a QB that probable has another EXCELLENT 7-8 years ... I see great things in our future.

Saying that ... I feel so much depends on our Draft's over the next 2 years. You can ALWAYS contend w/ a franchise QB... ALWAYS. look at the teams in the playoff this year

Manning-need i comment
Brady-read above
Favre-Legend
Manning (II)-probably going to get an extension this year also
Rivers- probably going to get an extension after this or the next year ALSO

Hassleback- (id consider him franchise now), but I see a young QB being drafted sometime in the near future for them)
V. Young- rookie of year, then got the TITANS to the playoffs. I don't care what anyone says the guy wins

... listen I don't need to go on anymore about franchise QB's ... the point is .....

we might ALWAYS contend. But if we don't get some solid blockers for Benny Boy, or some D line to take over for A. Smith and Big Snack. We might have more than a few dissapointint seasons ahead of us (and disappointing I mean like .... cowher losing the AFC championship disappointed.
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:05 PM   #13
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Great points. The 2005 team had guys that had "just missed" year after year after year and finally had the QB they needed to get them past the AFC title game and into the big game and finally got the Ring they should have been getting all along. Great points all around. Now rebuilding the Trenches is what will allow this young team, the new blood, Ben, Holmes, Miller, Troy (stay healthy) Timmons, Woodley, Parker (stay healthy) Tomlin (Rookie Head Coach, 10-6 and in the playoffs with no O-line, no running back and a smashed up defense) to make a run.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #14
ricksteelers55
Team Captain

Member Number: 3104

Hey maybe you should think about that...Why all of the ''good'' free agents players are ''FREE'' ?

there must be something wrong if they are no longer with their teams right?

Why would we pick guys like that.

Draft your boys and let them play your style.

you can still use the free agent market to fill a couple of needs without throwing all of your money out of the window(like a more than decent player like Ryan Clark)

So I think we should be glad to have the Rooneys they know how to build a classy franchise that appreciate its championship when they win it
ricksteelers55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:22 PM   #15
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

The previous time they did this was in the late 90s when, not coincidentally, they stunk.

in 1998 and 1999, the Steelers were bad. REAL bad. In 2000 they turned the corner after an 0-3 start and missed the playoffs by one game. That 2000 team had a fair share of last second heartbreakers and missed opportunities. Lost in overtime to the Eagles in TRS, Lost on a last second touchdown against the Titans, and COMPLETELY blew a great opportunity to sweep the Jaguars on Sunday Night when Fred Taylor tore up the Steelers for 200+ yards.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #16
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

I didnt even want to read that guy just keep complaining

who does he think the steelers are

WE arent the patriots why cant anyone just accept that the season wasnt a failure consdiering we had a first time head coach

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #17
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

As much as i would love for Mr. Roon dog to pick people up im in now way surprised and no one should be it has been like this since he has been around(forever). Why are we complaining look at our success without FA and our draft picks are always amazing so lets have them make their own decisions because i love what they do!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #18
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

but seriously....i do want to win 5 straight soup bowls! lol
Old 01-22-2008, 09:23 PM   #19
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler in Carolina View Post
IMO, no way Moss sticks around next year with the Pats. He will want one more big contract to end his career and the Pats won't give it to him. He was the big difference in their season this year. When teams shut him down, the games have been closer.
I would almost bet that Moss IS there next year just for the fact that the Pats are going to be losing a lot of people to retirement, which in-turn will free p more $$$ for SuperTurd Randy.....
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:17 AM   #20
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler in Carolina View Post
IMO, no way Moss sticks around next year with the Pats. He will want one more big contract to end his career and the Pats won't give it to him. He was the big difference in their season this year. When teams shut him down, the games have been closer.
y wouldn't he? he's never had success superbowl success anywhere else in the league...he's with brady who is arguably the best QB in the NFL right now... sure he'll want money but the reason the pats were so good was because of him.. that's why they'll want him back...