Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-23-2008, 04:47 AM   #21
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,953 Times in 1,659 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Yep, it's gotta be the offseason.

No matter if moss is there next year I can see alot of players leaving next year look at the age of alot of them not to mention most will be wanting more money because of the superbowl.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #22
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
AMEN!!! All Steelers BB's are infected with these retards, unfortunately. The "what have you done for me lately Mr. Rooney" crowd.
Don't you think that's just a little harsh, HTG?

I don't believe I'm part of that crowd, but I am more than willing to voice my expectations (pro or con).

I thought the article was well thought out and well written. I think the analogy of seasons past and where we are now was interesting. You cannot deny that more consistent play from our O-line would easily bring our offense into the top 10 in the league. The fact that we have no depth and are probably overpaying backups on our D-line is clear also.

Here's to a solid draft and offseason. That we can all agree on!!
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:34 AM   #23
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

I find that that article neglects the the fact that we are one of only three teams to have won 5 Super Bowls. No team has won more. The article makes it sound like there are "dynasties" being built left and right in this league. Basically---there is a dynasty for every decade . . . 60's packers, 70's Steelers, 80's 49ers, 90's Cowboys and 00's Patriots. In each of those decades there are other good teams who compete, and sometimes knock off the big dog. I like the fact the the Steelers are always in a position to knock off that "big dog"--- whoever he might be in any given year or decade.

FA acquisitions are not the answer to building a dynasty---sure the Pats used it this year to fill some holes----but that not how they built their great team. To a certain extent building a dynasty takes leadership and smart decisions---but it also take a little bit of the "perfect storm". like getting Tom Brady in the 6th round, or the Steelers '74 draft class.

Thank you to the Rooneys for making us contenders every year, and allowing the possiblity that a little extra luck might get us to the big game any given year.

That said, I would like to see the team move toward more consistency in "winning"---ie beat the teams you should be and split the rest---don't play down to the competition etc. I think Tomlin is the kind of coach (like Noll & Dungy) to get a team to perform like that---but it may take a few years to build that mind set. I have no problem having a little patience.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #24
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
FA acquisitions are not the answer to building a dynasty---sure the Pats used it this year to fill some holes----but that not how they built their great team. To a certain extent building a dynasty takes leadership and smart decisions---but it also take a little bit of the "perfect storm". like getting Tom Brady in the 6th round, or the Steelers '74 draft class.

Thank you to the Rooneys for making us contenders every year, and allowing the possiblity that a little extra luck might get us to the big game any given year.
Well said Counselor!!

You would have to think that the Pats are mortgaging the future to try and win now while Brady and Belichick are still around.

Here's to our future
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #25
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

When the Pats do fall...and they will, everyone eventually does...it will be hard and long...ask the 9ers what happens when you mortgage your future.

Years of payback coming to them, years of it.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:04 PM   #26
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Some things to point out on why this article is asinine, yet entertaining. Building a dynasty takes some skill, but it also takes some draft luck, and some stupidity from other teams you're dealing with.

-Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. If that isn't luck I don't know what is.
-The Pats literally robbed the Raiders of Randy Moss for peanuts. A measly 4th round pick.
-The 49er's stupidity for dealing away the 1st rounders. That's why they've been a falling franchise since Mooch left.
-Who would've thought that your division rival would trade away one of their best players to you?

What do the Raiders, Dolphins, and Niners have in common? They are once-proud franchises mired in mediocrity and incredible mismanagement dating back a few years. People contribute this to the "genius" of the Patriots FO. I call it luck. I won't lie. The Steelers 1974 draft was once in a lifetime in terms of talent, and quite a bit of luck, too.

The Steelers have consistently fielded a competitive, winning product for quite a long time without dealing in free agency AT ALL. Long, LONG before the Patsies became relevant. The only difference between the two are the Patsies got over the hump quite a few times. The Steelers only got over the hump once. Those 90's teams were damn good and could've fielded a dynasty. 3 AFC Title games in 4 years, but those losses hurt really bad. But that's mostly due to the players and the coaches not executing, not the Rooneys. They put the product on the field, it's up to the product to do their job. That's why Jeemster's "The Rooneys would prefer to be consistently good than great." statement is utterly ridiculous.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #27
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
As opposed to the Pats*, who "never do anything wrong?" The only guy still on their roster from the '07 draft is Meriweather and all he's done is play STs. Sorry to burst your bubble, but we're not going to replicate the '74 draft every year. The poster of that "article" is just another impatient, spoiled dope who bitches because we don't win the damn SB every year - no more, no less. You watch how fast the Pats lose players, key players, due to playing fast and loose in FA this past offseason - too bad for them they don't draft well enough themselves to make up for it.
yet somehow, they are about to win their 4th SB in 7 years...apparently, they do something right up there.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:36 PM   #28
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,430 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_WARDen View Post
yet somehow, they are about to win their 4th SB in 7 years...apparently, they do something right up there.
Feel free to go jump on the bandwagon - it's not quite full yet. You know you want to, so please do it already.

Last edited by fansince'76; 01-23-2008 at 01:49 PM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #29
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_WARDen View Post
Yeah. They do something right. It's easy to say something is right when they win. Everything you do is right when you win. The Patriots all won their previous Super Bowls by a combined 9 points. All three won by field goals. Suppose Tuck rule wasn't called in 2001. Suppose they don't draft Tom Brady in Round 6.

Suppose Jackie Smith catches that Staubach bullet in Super Bowl 13. Suppose Franco was back a few inches on the Immaculate Reception. Would the Steelers be the team of the 70's?

The Steelers have been doing things right for years. The problem is that they've been falling short and haven't had as many breaks as the Pats. To be a dynasty in the NFL, you need skill, talent, planning, and quite a bit of luck. And when the Patriots dynasty eventually crumbles and breaks into tiny pieces, will they suddenly be doing everything wrong?
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:20 AM   #30
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Feel free to go jump on the bandwagon - it's not quite full yet. You know you want to, so please do it already.
Sorry to disappoint you Mr. Know-It-All, but I hate the Patsies. However, I do respect the hell out of them and wish that my team were so mismanaged as to win 4 SBs in 7 years but hey, we're competitive right?
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote