Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Pittsburgh Boxing: Meza-Clay with the TKO

The Pittsburgh-born Meza Clay showed up last night and beat the hell out of Eric Aiken. I also saw Therrien at the fight last night. Never knew he was a boxing fan.

The fight was televised on ESPN. Lubash, another Pittsburgh-born kid (attends Duquesne University), fought and won. Camechis also fought, from Ohio but was sporting B&G gear, also won.

Overall, a great night for Pittsburgh boxing. As it was for many years, long before those Super Bowl, World Series and Stanley Cup victories, it was good to see a great boxing town get the attention it deserves. I would love to see it rise to the level it once was back in the 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's.

Rankin's Meza-Clay earns TKO in 7th in ESPN2 fight
Saturday, February 02, 2008
By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

OK, so it only lasted a shade more than 18 minutes. But he promised his pop a knockout, and he delivered that, too.

Meza-Clay, of Rankin, continued his climb in the rankings and in boxing's consciousness by pummeling former International Boxing Federation lightweight champion Eric Aiken last night inside the Pittsburgh Expo Mart in Monroeville in an ESPN2 "Friday Night Fight" stopped 39 seconds into the seventh round on a technical knockout.

"He's a former champion, so I knew that he knew how to survive," Meza-Clay (25-1), a featherweight, said. "I tried to take him out in the third, fourth or fifth. I told my father [Raymont Clay] I would take him in the seventh."

The son kept his word, and in grand style. He won almost every one of the opening six rounds, if not all, and made it appear this bout would never see its 12-round full length. It was a sharp contrast to a 2006 appearance on ESPN2, when he lost to a heavier Edner Cherry by knockout.

This fight night attracted a standing-room only crowd of about 2,500 that included such celebrities as Steelers Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison, Penguins coach Michel Therrien, Steelers broadcaster Craig Wolfley and Pittsburgh-native heavyweight boxer Eddie Chambers, who just fought Saturday in an HBO fight in Germany. And Meza-Clay got them all going early, taking the fight in close. The crowd yelled "Mont-ee, Mont-ee," and he greeted the bell ending a dominating second round with a roar of his own.

"Yes, that [performance] was what I wanted," said Meza-Clay, who entered this fight ranked No. 14 in the World Boxing Association and IBF, No. 8 in the World Boxing Organization. "IBF, WBA, WBO, that's got to move me up. I want to unify [titles]. I want the IBF first. We're going to chop all the way down the line."

Aiken (16-7-1) of Washington, nicknamed "Mighty Mouse" but 5 inches taller than the 5-foot-2 Meza-Clay, lost his third of his past four bouts -- the other being a draw.

On the undercard, Mike Strauss (4-0) of Bridgeville won a technical decision that went to the judges' cards before the fourth and final round because of a head-butt cut over the right eye of Jose Luis Torres (4-14). Torres, who said he was fighting in the spirit of a brother who died earlier this week, sent Strauss reeling into his own corner in the first round. But Strauss rallied to win two of the next three rounds, by the judges' determination. Duquesne University student Jesse Lubash (3-0) also prevailed in a televised swing bout.

In the ESPN2-arranged co-feature, Brian (17-0) of Glouster, Ohio, nicknamed "The Golden Greek" and wearing Pittsburgh-friendly black and gold, and Doel Carrasquillo (11-7-1) of Lancaster waged a crowd-pleasing brawl. Carrasquillo bludgeoned Camechis with a right and sent him down to one knee in the fourth round. But Camechis survived that standing-eight-count and the ensuing onslaught to win an eight-round decision as close as a two-round separation on two of the judges' cards.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08033/854339-139.stm
Old 02-02-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Pittsburgh Boxing: Meza-Clay with the TKO

Some video from ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/...goryId=2491554