Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-23-2008, 06:03 PM   #11
SteelersJW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5742
Default Re: SI: QB Class of 2004 Finally Comes of Age (Roethlisberger)

WTF

In his first year Ben won 13 games in the regular season and came a game away from heading to the Super Bowl.

In his 2nd year he became the youngest QB to ever win a superbowl

In his 3rd year he had a dissapointing season that ended on the right foot.

And finally, in his 4th he came back and kicked some ass while becoming the Steelers best single-season touchdown passer.

What more evidence do they need to prove he's the best QB from '04?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:32 PM   #12
slippy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5848

agreed JW, but the media machine always needs new faces and new stories to keep the public interest. turnover sells.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:37 PM   #13
steel striker
Banned

Member Number: 7251

Well I know I'm a little bias here but, ben is the clear choice. He plays well and, even with the lack of a good oline showed he can still make big plays down the field. Also he acts like a true professional as well. He does not throw his guys under the bus. I guess time will tell about Eli and Rivers. To me Eli is starting to turn the corner and, Rivers acts like a cry baby form what i've seen.
steel striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:33 AM   #14
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

all 3 are or will be great quarterbacks. if we could redraft and if we held the #1 pick i would take ben without hesitation. imo he is the best player overall in the entire draft. i'd rank fitzgerald, sean taylor, winslow, roy williams, steven jackson, vince wilfork, rivers and manning all behind him. just be thankful we didnt take shawn andrews.. otherwise we would still be in search of the next bradshaw and a 5th super bowl ring.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:43 AM   #15
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
Phillip Rivers has heart. Not many guys would play on a knee 6 days after having arthroscopic surgery on it, much less with a torn and sprained ligament.
i understand where your coming from about rivers... but anyone who flicks off the crowd, taunts opposing players AND fans and reminds me of Ryan Leaf... is an A-HOLE in my book...
Old 01-24-2008, 04:46 AM   #16
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,639 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
i understand where your coming from about rivers... but anyone who flicks off the crowd, taunts opposing players AND fans and reminds me of Ryan Leaf... is an A-HOLE in my book...
Agreed rivers has alot of growing up to do he has to get use to the crowd and not let them bother him.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:20 AM   #17
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlejazzbird View Post
I still think Ben's total body of work puts him in first, followed by Eli and then Rivers at a distant third. And when exactly in this season did Ben "struggle?" Assuming the writer is referring to all the sacks - if anything, given the lack of protection Ben faced almost constantly, his accomplishments (TD/INT ratio, passer rating, completion percentage, etc.) this season are all the more remarkable.
I completely agree. Ben is by far the best QB of the class. Rivers played with a torn ACL which is gutsy. But Ben played after almost dyeing and the appondectimy, and the concussion. Manning has in the playoffs what Ben did not...a running game. Not to take away what Eli did ( He did beat Favre in Lambue in January) but he is in the weaker conference. Im sorry, call me a homer, say Im drinking the Kool Aid, say whatever. Ben is by far the better of the 3. His stats prove it. The fact he is now a Pro Bowler and the fact he almost single handedly brought us back in that play off game proves it. I dont see the other 2 putting the team on their shoulders and just slinging it.

Yes Ben through picks. But I would rather have a gutsy QB who we live and die with then someone who won't go out there and give it his all and try to win the game. If Rivers or Manning would have been in that game I just cant see them having the fortitude to will that team to a win. I would rather have a gun slinger like Ben then a Pea-Shooter.
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:35 PM   #18
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
The fact he is now a Pro Bowler and the fact he almost single handedly brought us back in that play off game proves it.
Weeeellllll.....he almost single-handedly brought us back to win a game that he was largely responsible for us losing. Given all Ben had accomplished this past season, it was shocking to me to see him play like that. I did not expect us to beat Jacksonville, but I also didn't think Ben would be the reason we lost.

He is and will forever be a Super Bowl champion, and now a Pro Bowl quarterback, with hopefully many more of both to come. No matter what else happens in his career, no one will ever take those things away. He did a lot this season, given the relatively little he had to work with (offensive line, lack of protection, rash of important injuries, etc.), but he really did kind of lose the playoff game for us, and no one knows it better than he does.

Even so, I maintain that he is currently the best of The Three, and I think that will continue to be the case. At any rate, I agree with Dino 5 Rings, who noted that Ben could end up being in one of the all-time great QB draft classes. That's pretty cool.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #19
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlejazzbird View Post

Even so, I maintain that he is currently the best of The Three, and I think that will continue to be the case. At any rate, I agree with Dino 5 Rings, who noted that Ben could end up being in one of the all-time great QB draft classes. That's pretty cool.

Yep, its great knowing that we finally have a QB that we can talk about, and call up talk shows with and say "Hey Buddy, Youngest ever to win, 15-1 as a rookie, set the franchise touchdown record, which btw was set by a guy in the Hall of Fame named Terry Bradshaw who was throwing to TWO HOF Receivers. You know, Swann and Stallworth!!!"

So yeah, its finally great to be able to have a QB to be proud of. And for him to have been of this class, is even better. Rivers may still have a lot of growing up to do, but with the weapons out in SD, his future isn't hindered, thats for sure. Eli has proven himself this year, his playoff numbers are ridiculous and very much like bens of 05.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #20
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

well in the 70's the passing game was just opening.. u can't say that about bradshaw.. and the 83 draft had more QB's taken that had good careers..

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote