Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-25-2008, 10:56 AM   #21
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default Re: Steelers Set to Lose 3 OL in Free Agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiller View Post
will people quit putting Simmons at center! Steelers already said he will not be moved to center. Simmons got the big money and is pretty mobile which means he will likey play Left Guard
When did the Steelers say that Simmons would in no way be moved to center?

Pretty mobile? Problem is that when he gets to where he's going he does'nt block anyone, that's been the knock on him for awhile.

They just payed Mahan also, so he'll get every oppurtunity at guard you can bet on that.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #22
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
I agree we need to resign essex he did play well in the playoff game.
Yeah, and I think that we need to consider very heavily signing Max Starks back as well.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #23
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
When did the Steelers say that Simmons would in no way be moved to center?
it was stated in the post gazette around the end of the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
Pretty mobile? Problem is that when he gets to where he's going he does'nt block anyone, that's been the knock on him for awhile.

They just payed Mahan also, so he'll get every oppurtunity at guard you can bet on that.
They payed Simmons a lot more than Mahan. And for as bad as Simmons has played, Mahan was way worse. And dont give me the crap that he will be better at guard, he sucks.
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #24
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620

It takes awhile for rookies on the O-line to get it down. So the draft is not the answer if the Steelers want to actually win next year. The schedule is going to be brutal. If the line is not sorted out quickly, the Steelers may not be a .500 team next year. Maybe we can get away with one rookie on the right side of the line, but that is about it. And anyone who thinks FA is the answer is DREAMING. Look what it did for us last year. (Mahan) The Steelers FO just doesn't think FA is the way to go. RFAs on the team are certain to look elsewhere because the Steelers probably won't match the contracts they are offered. Do we get draft picks for the next year if that happens? We just have to wait and see how it all plays out. Signing Ben is the most important piece of the puzzle.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #25
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i would agree that sea will take a look at faneca... they are still mourning the loss of hutchison and they need someone to fill in that gap he played at...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:01 PM   #26
DACEB
Banned

Quote:
it was stated in the post gazette around the end of the season.
LS, I'm pretty sure that article (or chat w/ EB) stated that Simmons was always an option. IMO, Simmons is stronger to take on the big guys at NT and would probably do better in close quarters than out in space.

Quote:
They payed Simmons a lot more than Mahan. And for as bad as Simmons has played, Mahan was way worse. And dont give me the crap that he will be better at guard, he sucks.
LMAO, I can't defend him at this point, your right. All I can say is he will get his chance in camp, probably alot longer of a look than any of us care for even if he struggles.

I just hope the oppurtunities are open to all the guys, because for whatever reason Chucky was kinda handed the short end of the stick in camp this year. So I hope your right, in that if he is going to perform as he did this year, that he does'nt see the field.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #27
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i think he should get better with his 2nd yr with the team and is aquited with the off.. if he doesn't show improvement bench him or cut or trade

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:05 PM   #28
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
i think he should get better with his 2nd yr with the team and is aquited with the off.. if he doesn't show improvement bench him or cut or trade
The thing is Mahan is getting paid way too much money to be sitting on the bench as a backup.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #29
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXTheSteelKingsXx View Post
The thing is Mahan is getting paid way too much money to be sitting on the bench as a backup.
You would rather him be on the field and risk the life of Big Ben?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old wikipedia
As a member of the offensive line on the Buccaneers, he was almost singlehandedly responsible for the effective end of Chris Simms' career, when he literally almost died in a 2006 regular season loss to the Carolina Panthers.
wikipedia sums it up best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
In his first year as a Steeler, blocking for Ben Roethlisberger, he has been credited for helping the star QB reach the Pro Bowl. What is not known to the masses is that he is solely responsible for ending Chris Simms' career due to his poor blocking. At any time during the 2007 season, Mahan could be found being pushed around and slogged to the ground by opposing defensive linemen. Despite him being a first-year center, he consistently underperformed to Coach Mike Tomlin's expectations. The Steelers will look for a new starting center either in free agency or the 2008 NFL Draft.
Sometimes you just have to cut your losses. I seriously question anyone's football knowledge who thinks Mahan should be starting.
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:05 AM   #30
DACEB
Banned

I found this article by Wexell, it's dated 1/10 but some might find it interesting.

http://www.tribune-democrat.com/spor...010000553.html

Here is a portion on the O-line;

Offensive line: The weakest unit on the team remains in a state of flux. The front office met with the key coaches this week and was told that Max Starks is still not considered one of the two best tackles on the team, that the staff prefers Willie Colon at right tackle.

Marvel Smith is expected back and healthy at left tackle, so that leaves Starks out of the picture since he expressed an interest to return to Pittsburgh but only as a starter. Dan Rooney is still mulling it over, but a source close to him reiterated the stance that the team is going to “make a run” at potential free agents Starks and Alan Faneca.

There’s been no talk about the center position, only that Faneca has the mental acuity to finish his career at the position. Also, in-game No. 2 center Kendall Simmons is not under consideration to make that position switch.

Very interesting, Faneca at center?!