Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-07-2008, 11:47 AM   #21
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Romney ahead in FL

And that is, as they say, pretty much that for the GOP. I think Romney is actually calling it a "suspension", but that just means he hopes to be VP. That would appease the base some.

Conservatives need to get on board. McCain talked about finding common ground. If you are a true conservative, which would you rather have?

-Hillary Clinton (More moderate when you scratch the surface than she initially appears, but she's a Clinton, so, deeply hated by the "Vast Right-Wing Conspiracists")

Barrack Obama- The most liberal of liberals

John McCain- A guy who has a past of being a little bit of a maverick, but still has a pretty conservative pedigree.

That's it. Those are your choices.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:49 PM   #22
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
And that is, as they say, pretty much that for the GOP. I think Romney is actually calling it a "suspension", but that just means he hopes to be VP. That would appease the base some.

Conservatives need to get on board. McCain talked about finding common ground. If you are a true conservative, which would you rather have?

-Hillary Clinton (More moderate when you scratch the surface than she initially appears, but she's a Clinton, so, deeply hated by the "Vast Right-Wing Conspiracists")

John McCain- A guy who has a past of being a little bit of a maverick, but still has a pretty conservative pedigree.

Well it was the best for Romney to exit, even though I supported it, it is pointless to continue after what happened super Tuesday, it would just waste more money.

When it comes down to it the majority of republicans will vote for the republican candidate and the majority of democrats will vote for the democrat candidate.

At least with a moderate like McCain we can draw alot of independents and moderate democrats...even though I disagree with him on a decent number of issues, he is much, much better then Clinton or Barack.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:06 PM   #23
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Actually, truth be told, McCain represents a return to the actual majority of this country regaining control of the political process. I hope it's a trend that continues.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:18 PM   #24
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Actually, truth be told, McCain represents a return to the actual majority of this country regaining control of the political process. I hope it's a trend that continues.
As the country continues to move farther and farther right IMO, I believe a candidate must move farther and farther to the right to appeal to that majority you mentioned.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #25
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:

Dr. Paul and the Huckster are still running
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:43 AM   #26
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Notice how when Mitt backed out, he didn't endore anyone? I guarantee the lines between his camp and McCain's are on fire right now...Romney for VP looks a lot more possible.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #27
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

Quote:
Notice how when Mitt backed out, he didn't endore anyone? I guarantee the lines between his camp and McCain's are on fire right now...Romney for VP looks a lot more possible.
I would be happy with that, but I really doubt a Romney VP. my odds are on either Huckabee or Rudy as VP
Old 02-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #28
revefsreleets
Living Legend

I still think it's going to be something weird...like Thompson. We'll see.

Hey, GB, I disagree...I think the Country is moving right to where it's always been. Right into the middle. The two party system's overbearing domination and control has pushed the partisanship so far to the extremes that "Joe Q Public" is actually reinvigorated and getting back into politics on their own terms.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:43 PM   #29
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
I still think it's going to be something weird...like Thompson. We'll see.

Hey, GB, I disagree...I think the Country is moving right to where it's always been. Right into the middle. The two party system's overbearing domination and control has pushed the partisanship so far to the extremes that "Joe Q Public" is actually reinvigorated and getting back into politics on their own terms.
To me it's not right vs. left, it's right vs. wrong. For example, most want to give the 10,000,000+- illegals amnesty because they are already here and they say it is too costly and impractical to boot them out. I disagree. If you give them amnesty, all the rest of them will come flooding in illegaly IMO knowing in 10 years they will be given amnesty as well. I do not think that is what is best for our country. As far as getting them out of here, they are not slabs of beef. They walked in, they can walk out. If there is no incentive to be here many will leave and far fewer will come. So what would the "right in the middle" solution be here? I just don't see it.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #30
revefsreleets
Living Legend

I don't have a specific answer to a question that complex. You can't "quick fix" problems that evolved over years due to mismanagement and basic neglect.

I thought this op/ed piece was excellent. I'm really starting to appreciate Kathleen Parker's stuff more and more...

http://www.ohio.com/editorial/commen...l?page=all&c=y

An irrational reaction to McCain
Published on Monday, Feb 11, 2008

WASHINGTON: Kamikaze Republicans — those who say they'll never vote for John McCain because he isn't conservative enough — may get what they deserve.

The Clintons.

Many on the right, including Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Ann Coulter, James Dobson and others, have declared they'd rather vote for Hillary Clinton — or not vote at all — than cast a ballot for McCain. These self-appointed spokesmen for conservatism insist that voting for Clinton is a matter of principle: Better to go down on the strength of one's convictions than to be a morally compromised placeholder, they say.

To be sure, political cannibalism makes for interesting dinner conversation, but the winner eventually starves to death.

It isn't necessary to love everything McCain has done to vote for him should he be the nominee.

But it isn't possible to argue that there's no difference between McCain and Clinton (or Barack Obama), as some Republicans insist.

A form of irrational conservatism has taken hold when being true to oneself or to the party is viewed as more important than, say, turning over the country to people who want to raise taxes and impose socialized health care.

Principles shouldn't be so inflexible that strict adherence elevates a worse alternative.

Exactly which core principle facilitates the garnisheeing of wages to pay for mandatory insurance coverage, as Clinton has proposed? In a recent interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos, Clinton said her government-ordered insurance program would require an enforcement mechanism that might include ''you know, going after people's wages.''

Where are those core principles when a Democratic president is appointing judges to the Supreme Court? Given that five of the nine justices will be 70 or older come November, it's a near certainty that one or more will be replaced in the next four to eight years. Justice John Paul Stevens will be 88 in April.

The principles that Republicans rail about are not inconsequential. Small government and free-market economics were once ideas that most Americans embraced. They went hand-in-hand with strong families and moral values that didn't need redefining every four years.

McCain's enemies see him as having abandoned those principles with the McCain-Feingold campaign-finance reform bill limiting political speech, and the McCain-Kennedy immigration bill that would allow for gradual citizenship for illegal immigrants who meet certain criteria.

McCain also has suggested that Americans be allowed to buy Canadian drugs that are cheaper because Canada's socialized health system imposes price controls. And he's on board with environmentalist initiatives to reduce global warming.

These are positions with which conservatives would naturally argue. And perhaps they are right that McCain is more moderate than conservative, but so is the nation. Alternatively, McCain's maverick lawmaking might be viewed as principled compromise — or at least an earnest attempt to inject humane ethics into the mix.

Serious people don't really believe that the U.S. government is going to round up 11 million or 12 million people and ship them back to wherever they came from. It isn't going to happen.

Government parceling of free speech via McCain-Feingold, a portion of which has been found unconstitutional, can't otherwise be justified unless you figure, as McCain does, that purchased speech isn't free. When some people have greater access to ''free speech'' by virtue of their deeper pockets, then one could fairly argue that less prosperous people are denied free speech.

McCain's fire-breathing opponents, meanwhile, disregard his support of other positions Republicans hold dear. He has a strong pro-life voting record (except for supporting federal funding of embryonic stem cell research), has opposed wasteful spending, and has been steadfast in supporting the war. But, stepping outside the GOP box, he opposes torture, including waterboarding.

How dare a man who was tortured for five years in a Vietnamese prison depart from the party line?

Anti-McCain rage for many comes down to personality. He doesn't play nice and his independence annoys those who prefer the team player mentality.

But Republicans' obstinance in claiming to prefer Clinton to McCain is arrogance of a Clintonian order. To wit: Hillary Clinton has said that as president she would not listen to generals in Iraq and would withdraw troops no matter what.

Because? Any progress that may now be occurring in Iraq, she said, is owing to the current presidential race. The Iraqi government knows that when Clinton becomes president, the free ride is over. It's all because of her, in other words.

On exactly what principle would Republicans reward that kind of grandiosity and make Hillary Clinton — but not John McCain — commander in chief of America's armed forces?

Do tell.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parker is a Washington Post Writers Group syndicated columnist.

WASHINGTON: Kamikaze Republicans — those who say they'll never vote for John McCain because he isn't conservative enough — may get what they deserve.

The Clintons.

Many on the right, including Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Ann Coulter, James Dobson and others, have declared they'd rather vote for Hillary Clinton — or not vote at all — than cast a ballot for McCain. These self-appointed spokesmen for conservatism insist that voting for Clinton is a matter of principle: Better to go down on the strength of one's convictions than to be a morally compromised placeholder, they say.

To be sure, political cannibalism makes for interesting dinner conversation, but the winner eventually starves to death.

It isn't necessary to love everything McCain has done to vote for him should he be the nominee.

But it isn't possible to argue that there's no difference between McCain and Clinton (or Barack Obama), as some Republicans insist.

A form of irrational conservatism has taken hold when being true to oneself or to the party is viewed as more important than, say, turning over the country to people who want to raise taxes and impose socialized health care.

Principles shouldn't be so inflexible that strict adherence elevates a worse alternative.

Exactly which core principle facilitates the garnisheeing of wages to pay for mandatory insurance coverage, as Clinton has proposed? In a recent interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos, Clinton said her government-ordered insurance program would require an enforcement mechanism that might include ''you know, going after people's wages.''

Where are those core principles when a Democratic president is appointing judges to the Supreme Court? Given that five of the nine justices will be 70 or older come November, it's a near certainty that one or more will be replaced in the next four to eight years. Justice John Paul Stevens will be 88 in April.

The principles that Republicans rail about are not inconsequential. Small government and free-market economics were once ideas that most Americans embraced. They went hand-in-hand with strong families and moral values that didn't need redefining every four years.

McCain's enemies see him as having abandoned those principles with the McCain-Feingold campaign-finance reform bill limiting political speech, and the McCain-Kennedy immigration bill that would allow for gradual citizenship for illegal immigrants who meet certain criteria.

McCain also has suggested that Americans be allowed to buy Canadian drugs that are cheaper because Canada's socialized health system imposes price controls. And he's on board with environmentalist initiatives to reduce global warming.

These are positions with which conservatives would naturally argue. And perhaps they are right that McCain is more moderate than conservative, but so is the nation. Alternatively, McCain's maverick lawmaking might be viewed as principled compromise — or at least an earnest attempt to inject humane ethics into the mix.

Serious people don't really believe that the U.S. government is going to round up 11 million or 12 million people and ship them back to wherever they came from. It isn't going to happen.

Government parceling of free speech via McCain-Feingold, a portion of which has been found unconstitutional, can't otherwise be justified unless you figure, as McCain does, that purchased speech isn't free. When some people have greater access to ''free speech'' by virtue of their deeper pockets, then one could fairly argue that less prosperous people are denied free speech.

McCain's fire-breathing opponents, meanwhile, disregard his support of other positions Republicans hold dear. He has a strong pro-life voting record (except for supporting federal funding of embryonic stem cell research), has opposed wasteful spending, and has been steadfast in supporting the war. But, stepping outside the GOP box, he opposes torture, including waterboarding.