Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-26-2008, 06:09 AM   #1
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Tomlin Asserting Himself in the Offseason

Very good read. You gotta love the Tomlinator - he is his own man and these are HIS Steelers come hell or high water.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_549334.html

Steelers' Tomlin asserting himself in offseason

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Saturday, January 26, 2008

MOBILE, Ala. -- Mike Tomlin said a few days after the Steelers' playoff loss against Jacksonville that he wasn't ready to divulge his true feelings.

Exactly three weeks to the day of the 31-29 setback at Heinz Field, Tomlin insisted he still isn't ready to open up. And that he may never be.

"That's in the past," Tomlin said while scouting college players at the Senior Bowl.

Taking a few minutes from his schedule to speak with a Pittsburgh reporter, Tomlin resisted a request to -- as he put it throughout his first campaign as Steelers coach -- write the final chapter of the 2007 season.

"Let's talk about now," he said.

OK, let's.

Tomlin's desire to put the past where he believes it belongs is understandable, but it's not quite that simple to overlook how the season ended -- with heads bowed and plenty of unanswered questions, not the least of which included his decision to go for two points following touchdowns and failing both times with the losing margin being two points.

If he didn't grasp the true enormity before his first season, Tomlin certainly has come to understand what it really means to be coach of the Steelers.

How he can win 10 games as a rookie coach -- a two-game improvement over the previous season -- advance to the playoffs and it still isn't enough.

How it will never be enough.

Through it all, Tomlin's real personality is beginning to emerge.

You have to look past the cliches he ladles out like bowls of soup following games and his scripted weekly news conferences to get at the heart of what makes Tomlin tick.

You also have to know what to look for.

More than ever, Tomlin is digging in and standing his ground.

Quietly, subtly, yet firmly.

He's defending his team, defending his coaches, defending himself.

He's attempting to slam the door shut on the 2007 season -- whether we like it or not.

He's standing behind his coaching staff -- whether we like it or not.

He's defending his decision to twice go for two-point conversions in his first playoff game as a head coach -- whether we like it or not.

He's continuing to push for a younger roster at the expense of losing some of his veteran -- and popular -- players.

Whether we like it or not.

In the final analysis, Tomlin understands that it doesn't matter what we think.

Whether he yells testily or speaks in polite tones to the dreaded media, the only thing that matters is what happens on the field -- not the content of his character.

He can be the nicest person in the world, but we all know that nice guys finish last.

Offering no apologies for his words or deeds, Tomlin has selected his first offseason to take more control of his football team.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:22 AM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,140 Times in 2,828 Posts
Default Re: Tomlin Asserting Himself in the Offseason

What a waste of newsprint by Harris - Tomlin says no comment and Harris then writes about Tomlin "digging in" without citing one fact to back it up

Harris should either start writing about other sports or just go on vacation until July with a 1 week return for the draft
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:38 AM   #3
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

What I know of Mike Tomlin I like. He appears to be exceptionally smart in general and a true student of the game. He is internally passionate and will work hard.

I believe his sideline involvement and demeanor must change. He needs to get into the game both mentally and emotionally. Football is an emotional game and energy both positive and negative affects player's performance at every level.

I personally do not think Bill Cowher was the totally greatest coach but he was a great motivator par excellence. The stoical style can work, evidenced by Tom Landry , the ultimate stoic. Chuck Noll had a face that sent clear and strong messages with out many words spoken. He had an aura that was very special and not to be messed with .

Leadership requires charisma and even more so today for well paid , some what indulged players

The good news is that we have seen clips of Tomlin as a defensive coordinator and position coach where he was very animated emotionally and mentally .

I want to see him standng next to Ben as the pimary coach for the moment, when it is 4th and goal or 4th and short in a key situation. I want to see him chase down a defensive player once in a while when he makes a good play or even a bad play. I prefer he not kiss anybody or even spit on the player but please get involved.

He is only 35 and this is his first head coaching job. I really hope he has this figured out and/or he has been advised by some to recognize a need to grow and change his leadership style some what.

I understand the style or effectiveness of "managing the game ". Managing the game and eating sunflower seeds might work for the slow pace of baseball but Tomlin's title is not the manager of the Pittburgh Steelers. He is the head COACH.

I sincerely believe he has it within him and he can do it. I also believe if he does not change, the Steeler Nation will get nasty.

This point of view does not preclude all the many other issues of the job and even the off season endeavors. This post was specfically addressing game day Coaching.
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:42 AM   #4
DaGooseMon
Water Boy

Member Number: 7283

This is two threads in a row that really have me disliking Pittsburgh sports writers...
Old 01-26-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Well, at least he's not making a mountain out of a molehill by stirring up sh*t between teammates to give himself something to write about. Definitely a fluff piece, but better than that tabloid journalism "he said/he said" crap.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #6
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
What a waste of newsprint by Harris - Tomlin says no comment and Harris then writes about Tomlin "digging in" without citing one fact to back it up

Harris should either start writing about other sports or just go on vacation until July with a 1 week return for the draft
You said it Dan.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

i think he churned this article out just to get his paycheck...
Old 01-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

he brings a presense of a coach that is extremely experienced. he doesnt talk yet he wins and he is strict like a cowher, or a parcels type of coach.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGooseMon View Post
This is two threads in a row that really have me disliking Pittsburgh sports writers...

I always hated them.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:56 AM   #10
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,163 Times in 1,343 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
i think he churned this article out just to get his paycheck...
Agreed
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote