Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-26-2008, 11:52 PM   #1
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408
Default Steelers: surviving labor trouble?

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20080125

Quote:

The NFL averted a labor war 2 years ago when outgoing commissioner Paul Tagliabue strong-armed the owners into agreeing to a collective-bargaining- agreement extension that gave the players 60 percent of the league's pot of gold. The owners can opt out of the deal in November, which seems almost a certainty right now. If that happens, 2009 would be the last capped year of the current agreement. There would be no salary cap in 2010, but the service requirement for free agency would jump from 4 to 6 years. "I think it's really common knowledge our last labor agreement is not our smartest move," Broncos owner Pat Bowlen told Jeff Legwold, of the Rocky Mountain News. "And I'm not talking about [just] the Denver Broncos. I'm talking about the [whole] league. We can't live with this deal."

So how will this affect the Steelers? If the owners opt out in November it will be very hard to sign stars after next season since some agents might tell their players that they can get more money in a cap-free world. For this reason, as well as others, Ben has to be signed before the end of next season. The Steelers would have a much harder time signing any of our unsigned free agents, but that would be balanced somewhat by the fact that some of out younger players ( like Woodley, Timmons) would not be free agents as soon.

So, I guess, in conclusion, the Steelers need a salary cap to compete long term, but I think we will be ok for a year or two as long as we do the best to sign our guys over the next season.

Hold on, I have a feeling it will be a bumpy ride in the league as a whole.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:07 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Steelers: surviving labor trouble?

The NFL without a salary cap? That'll be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me, personally. I will no longer watch a league where the Snyders, Joneses and Krafts buy Super Bowls and the rest of the league fights over the table scraps.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:10 AM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

We will have a cap. I am not worried about that.

It might take a lockout to get one, but we will get a cap.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:17 AM   #4
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

fansince'76, I think there will be cap in the NFL. As a group, NFL owners have shown in the past that they are more league committed than their MLB/NBA counterparts. We may have to suffer through one year without, but I think (hope) that cooler heads prevail. The bigger issue for me is thart this may upset the revenue sharing agreement between the owners. We know from his own words that Mr. Jones hates sharing revenue with his fellow owners. The end of revenue sharing would be the end of the league.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:36 AM   #5
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

If the NFL becomes the new MLB, where the big-market teams from the big cities literally buy championships, It will be a sad day in sports. But with the way the NFL has been turning into since Goodell became the commish, I wouldn't be surprised if this happened, as much as it pains me to say it.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:47 AM   #6
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

If the salary cap goes away...be ready for the 4-12 seasons.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:52 AM   #7
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

omgosh... no cap is like... insane... i can't imagine a team with the ability to buy any player they want... it would make my greatest fantasies come true... lol...

just imagine... how good our team COULD be if the Rooney's gave up some serious dough for players... shawne merrimen demarcus ware... OMG all on one team... it'd be like pro-bowl every sunday
Old 01-27-2008, 12:58 AM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
just imagine... how good our team COULD be if the Rooney's gave up some serious dough for players... shawne merrimen demarcus ware... OMG all on one team... it'd be like pro-bowl every sunday
The Rooneys are multimillionaires. Snyder, Jones, Kraft, Allen and others are multibillionaires. HUGE difference. See where I'm going with this? Like LIG58 said, if the salary cap goes bye-bye, get ready for the 4-12 seasons (and worse). The Rooneys simply aren't wealthy enough and Pittsburgh simply isn't a large enough market to stay competitive in that kind of environment.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:19 AM   #9
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Well, I think it would still be harder to buy a championship in the NFL than in Baseball, even without a cap. First, it takes more "grunts" to win in football than any other sport. Second, the Yankees make more money with their local broadcasting rights than they do with the national TV contract. The opposite is true in the NFL. The national network revenue would be shared under any situation. Finally, what really kills small markets in baseball is that most of the best players don't come into the league via the draft. Therefore, the worst teams don't neccesarily get first crack at the best prospects

Still, I agree the end of revenue sharing/cap would eventually be the end of the Steelers amazing run of success. However, I still believe we will have a cap eventually, even if there is one year without. Also, it is generally the small market teams, who need rev sharing/cap most, that are pushing for the opt out.

So is there anything the Steelers can do over the next year or two to prepare for an uncapped season?
Old 01-27-2008, 01:21 AM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
fansince'76, I think there will be cap in the NFL. As a group, NFL owners have shown in the past that they are more league committed than their MLB/NBA counterparts. We may have to suffer through one year without, but I think (hope) that cooler heads prevail. The bigger issue for me is thart this may upset the revenue sharing agreement between the owners. We know from his own words that Mr. Jones hates sharing revenue with his fellow owners. The end of revenue sharing would be the end of the league.
Yep, the cap may not go away, but revenue sharing going away would be just as harmful to a team like the Steelers:

Quote:
"There is no correlation between high-revenue teams and winning percentage," McNair said. "And no correlation between salaries paid and winning percentage. We have a good balance in the NFL and the number of teams in the highest payroll quartile are located in the lowest quartile of revenue teams."

What extra cash can do is enable teams to spend their way around the restraints of the salary cap -- at least over the short term -- by restructuring players' contracts by putting cash in the players' pockets in the form of one-time bonuses in exchange for lowering their immediate salary impact against the cap. There is a saying in the league that "cash solves cap," and the NFL's salary cap is a soft ceiling that can be exceeded.

The Redskins finished this season (2004) with a 6-10 record despite a league-record payroll of $120 million.

The NFL's wealthier teams are far from reaching a Yankees-like status in which their financial advantage has translated into a competitive advantage. But Rooney, the Steelers' owner, and others say they are fearful the league may get to that point.

"We're not there yet. Any team can win and does win," said Rooney, whose family has presided over the Steelers for 71 years. "But we might reach a point somewhere down the line where that's not the case any longer."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

What the hell good is a cap that can be circumvented in a league where the revenue disparity between the haves and have-nots widens and widens greatly if revenue sharing goes away? Yeah, you'll have a MLB situation like the Marlins a few years back - win a championship and then have a huge offseason fire sale to get back under the cap. Doesn't matter - a small-market team like the Steelers wouldn't have much shot at them anyway. Either way, a NFL where the Steelers have no chance of being competitive is a NFL I will no longer follow.

Last edited by fansince'76; 01-27-2008 at 01:32 AM.