Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-28-2008, 12:44 AM   #11
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: The Great Debate: Super Steelers or Super Patriots*

Put the Pats* in the 1970s, and they get smoked by the Steelers, Cowboys and Raiders. Hell, even the Vikings and Rams would kick their asses all over the field.

Not impressed.

Screw Boston.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:59 AM   #12
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

Go Giants so I don't have to hear about this crap anymore...I am sick of this crap
Old 01-28-2008, 04:38 AM   #13
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,894 Times in 1,632 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

It would be hard to beat the steelers of the 70's the way they won there supebowls back to back.
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:39 AM   #14
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBen403 View Post
Even though they are a dynasty, I have no respect for the Pats, they are a classless organization with a bunch a whiny little babys. I truely hope the Giants bury tom brady and crew in the desert. It seems over the last few years brady has become more and more of a shit-talker on the field. Meanwhile Big Ben goes out takes a beating play tough and doesnt say much on the field and lets his play do the talking. As far as I'm concerned, The pats Can't Touch the SUPER STEELERS !!!!!!!!!
Let me first state that I am a Steelers fan...always have been always will be. That does not cloud my opinion or judgement. To compare Ben and Brady is laughable. Brady is 4x the QB Roethlisberger is. To take a pay cut or to forfeit a raise to make the team better? Maybe I don't watch enough football (which I highly doubt), but the only time I saw Brady talk shit was to Anthony Smith. And Smith brought that upon himself. And since when is talking shit a bad thing? When you can back it up? Brady can back it up. And IMO, Brady will go down as the greatest QB to ever play when he's done.

As far as the debate between the Steelers of the 70's and the Pats of the new millenium....I think that the Steelers are the better team. They put their team together from scratch in '69 when Noll took over. They did it through the draft. They didn't have free agency at their disposal like the game does today. And how many HOF players are on the Pats right now...? Brady, Moss and that's all I can conceivably think of. Steelers of the 70's boasts Bradshaw, Harris, Webster, Swann, Stallworth, Greene, Ham, Lambert and Blount. It's highly doubtful that NE will come up with half as many. And BTW, Seau doesn't count as he was a HOF'er before coming to NE.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #15
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58 View Post
Let me first state that I am a Steelers fan...always have been always will be. That does not cloud my opinion or judgement. To compare Ben and Brady is laughable. Brady is 4x the QB Roethlisberger is. To take a pay cut or to forfeit a raise to make the team better? Maybe I don't watch enough football (which I highly doubt), but the only time I saw Brady talk shit was to Anthony Smith. And Smith brought that upon himself. And since when is talking shit a bad thing? When you can back it up? Brady can back it up. And IMO, Brady will go down as the greatest QB to ever play when he's done. .
Agree with everything you said about Brady. I can't stand the Patriots either, but Brady is clearly the best in football right now.

As far as the debate between the Steelers of the 70's and the Pats of the new millenium....I think that the Steelers are the better team. They put their team together from scratch in '69 when Noll took over. They did it through the draft. They didn't have free agency at their disposal like the game does today. And how many HOF players are on the Pats right now...? Brady, Moss and that's all I can conceivably think of. Steelers of the 70's boasts Bradshaw, Harris, Webster, Swann, Stallworth, Greene, Ham, Lambert and Blount. It's highly doubtful that NE will come up with half as many. And BTW, Seau doesn't count as he was a HOF'er before coming to NE.

The difference between the two teams is that the era's have made them different. If they win, then it's 4 in 7...we had 4 in 6 so the accomplishment will be comparable. The difference is that the 70's Steelers did it with the same core of guys, while the Patriots only have 4 guys on the entire team that will have 4 rings if they win and a lot fewer HOF'ers. Free agency changed that team so much over the past 7 years, where the Steelers were still recognizable from the 1974-75 team through the 1979-80 team where their run ended. You are right about Seau, he was a HOF'er before he ever got to NE. To me, the franchise may have had a ton of success, but since their team has changed so much over the last 7 years, I don't know if you can call the team a dynasty in the truest sense of the word. That isn't to diminish what they have accomplished in the past 7 years, because it is phenomenal.

I would love to see a game played between the 2007 Patriots and the 1978 Steelers.
All things being equal....nutrition, training, etc....it would be a heck of a game.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #16
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,381 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
I would love to see a game played between the 2007 Patriots and the 1978 Steelers.
All things being equal....nutrition, training, etc....it would be a heck of a game.
Under which set of rules? The rules of '78 or the glorified flag football rules of '07?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #17
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Under which set of rules? The rules of '78 or the glorified flag football rules of '07?
I'd be interested in seeing two different games...one played with the 1978 rules and one played under current rules. Now I am playing the ultimate Fantasy Football game.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #18
Steelerfreak58
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8080

The game in the 70's was a much harder played game. Today's game is built for the offense to score. Hell its one reason in the 70's the "new" passing interference call was made and they called it the "Mel Blount" rule because he mauled recievers down the field and noone could catch anything thrown his way.

Football today is watered down and made easier to score TD's. Defense has it way harder on them now with so many types on new penalties able to be called against them and continue to move the chains for offenses.

That and I hate the Patriots with a passion!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #19
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

I stopped reading Cook's article when he mentioned the "overblown" Spygate scandal.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #20
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

All I can add to this is...

GO ELI
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote