Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-27-2008, 11:48 AM   #11
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Bouchette: A history of Com-Plax-ity

Plax is gone.

Jerome is gone.

Cowher is gone.

Movin' on.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #12
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,500 Times in 3,736 Posts

Of course the last great episode in the failed experiment of "throw the fade to Plax in the end zone" was at the start of the 4th quarter in the Steelers-Pats AFC Championship in January 2005.

A TD would have brought the Steelers back to within 7 (after being down 21) with almost the entire 4th quarter to go. Plax characteristically botched the catch and then ripped the Steelers for his contract negotiation status post-game.

As a prior poster said, time to move on - since I will root for any other NFL team against the Pats I will root for Plax next week but the guy is a team cancer - everything is cheery now but he has had numberous run-ins with not only Coughli but his teammates since he landed with the Giants
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #13
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?teeldude View Post
burress isn't the kind of tall WR you throw bailout passes to. he rarely fights for the ball. his fundamentals are poor when it comes to catching the ball at it's highest point. i am glad he is gone. i wanted the steelers to draft urlacher that year.

a tall WR would mean more hanging, deads lobs from BR. no thanks.
noo... were u not watching the NFC championship game?? the guy was battling Al Harris the entire game... I LOVED IT!!!

if there was a way to satisfy burress and ward i would have loved it... those two toegether and with antwan randle el produuced the best steeler WR corp in my opinion (a very close second would be stallworth and swann)

i definitely wish we could have re-signed burress... u have no idea how dangerous our team could be with two solid recievers like plax and ward and a versatile back like willie... if we resigned him we'd be the ones going 19-0 not the patriots
Old 01-27-2008, 01:46 PM   #14
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,382 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
....Burress grew up when he left here.
News to me.

More Burress Douchebaggery in NY....

....And Even More
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #15
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Sorry, one great season a Super Bowl appearance doesn't erase the past. Up until this year Plax was not living up to his true potential. If he's going to play the race card, then screw him. Jerome Bettis, Hines Ward, Joey Porter, Joe Greene, and Greg Lloyd are ICONS in Pittsburgh, and they're black. So there goes that "Pittsburgh is racist" BS theory. Burress was an underachiever in Pittsburgh and nothing more. Underachieving as a 1st round pick will get you some crap from the fans.

In fact, the fans didn't give Plax crap at all. It was until Plax blasted Pittsburgh in the papers as a Giant was what drew the ire from Steeler Nation. Plax himself said he didn't want to be here after the '04 Title game (where he did his infamous half-assed effort in catching that endzone pass) despite Ben's pleas to want him to stay. Yet , idiot Plax apologists blame this on the front office and the coaching staff.

Saying Plaxico got a bum rap in Pittsburgh is utterly asinine.

Last edited by Edman; 01-28-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #16
d2609j
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8095

The Steelers made the right decision to let him walk at the time. Chambers had signed with miami that year for somewhere near 32 million for 6 years. That would have been Burress starting point with the Steelers. If I remember right alot of teams passed on him in free agency, including the Giants breaking off contract talks , and he went 5 or 6 weeks without being signed. I think he even changed agents during that period. and lost money in the long run. The steelers were not the only team who saw the down falls. One season where his team makes the super bowl doesnt change that.
d2609j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #17
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Once a dick, always a dick. That is all.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #18
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Plax is a chump. What did he do in Pittsburgh? He dropped a lot of big balls (biggest being the already mentioned 2005 AFCCG endzone fade drop), didn't want to block downfield (something he now does in NY). After the AFCCG, he blasted the Rooneys (great way to get a contract anywhere in the NFL, blast one of the most respected ownership families in the NFL), blasted the city of Pittsburgh and the Steelers fans, blasted the coaching staff.

He complained about having three different starting quarterbacks the time he was here (Kordell, Maddox, Big Ben)...however the Steelers draft a QB in the first round so the offense has consistency at the potistion.

And now, he plays the race card. I didn't care what color his skin was, what jewlery he wore, what he drove, and what clothing he wore. I loved Joey Porter...he was a black man, flamboyant jewlery, nice vehicles, plus he was a loudmouth. I love Hines Ward, and he wears twin diamond stud earrings. I loved Jerome Bettis, and he's black.

Plane and simple, Burress didnt want to be here, and after the 05 AFCCG, the Rooney's didn't want him here either. Good riddance, we won a Super Bowl without the chump. We'll win more Super Bowls without the chump. We've drated Santonio Holmes, and I would much rather have Holmes than Burress any day of the week and infinity times on Sundays, Mondays, and occasional Thursdays and Saturdays.

I wish him luck in Super Bowl 42, only because he is facing the Patriots...and I hate them more than I hate him.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #19
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored

I too don't miss Pexico. He isn't all that. 1 game doesn't make him all of the sudden real great.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #20
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Ward, who wears matching 2-carat diamond earrings himself, said the only prejudice Steelers fans show is against players who do not produce.

"As far as the city and him with cornrows and stuff, they love everybody. You go out there and perform, regardless of race, color, ethnic, how you wear your hair, they don't care. The fans here know football. They know the guys who produce and give it all they got and they appreciate it. To sit there and say the city had it out against him, I don't really go along with that. I saw a lot of No. 80 jerseys in the stands."
Hines could not be more right about this. While there will always be ignorant blowhard fans of every team, the very vast majority of Steelers fans don't care if a guy is purple with yellow spots -- he plays for the Steelers, he better produce. Plax can whine all he wants about how no one understood him, but the tape doesn't lie.

Burress is a whiny malcontent, and believe me, that didn't magically change when he went to the Giants. At the beginning of the season, when the Giants were terrible and left for dead, he was yapping to the media about something every week. As it always does, winning has silenced him somewhat, but like TO, he'll be baaaack as soon as the wheels fall off again.

Hines Ward, as we all know (please, let's not start THAT up again), needs to feel disrespected in order to play his best, but he is a man of extremely high character, and he's a player and a human begin who I will take any day on my team over a shallow, status hungry, self-absorbed whiner like Burress. The Giants are welcome to him, and we've done fine without him, thank you very much.

Rumor in NYC had it that Burress was FURIOUS that the Steelers won the Super Bowl the year after he left, by the way.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote