Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
STEELtownHAVOX
Starter

Member Number: 6464
Default Marijuana Vending Machines

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22910820/?GT1=10755

Interesting.

updated 7:01 a.m. ET, Wed., Jan. 30, 2008
LOS ANGELES - The city that popularized the fast food drive-thru has a new innovation: 24-hour medical marijuana vending machines.

Patients suffering from chronic pain, loss of appetite and other ailments that marijuana is said to alleviate can get their pot with a dose of convenience at the Herbal Nutrition Center, where a large machine will dole out the drug around the clock.

"Convenient access, lower prices, safety, anonymity," inventor and owner Vincent Mehdizadeh said, extolling the benefits of the machine.
But federal drug agents say the invention may need unplugging.

"Somebody owns (it), it's on a property and somebody fills it," said DEA Special Agent Jose Martinez. "Once we find out where it's at, we'll look into it and see if they're violating laws."

At least three dispensaries in the city, including two belonging to Mehdizadeh, have installed vending machines to distribute the drug to people who carry cards authorizing marijuana use.

Mehdizadeh said he spent seven months to develop and patent the black, armored box, which he calls the "PVM," or prescription vending machine.

Convenience and privacy
A sliding fence protects the tinted windows of his dispensary, barely distinguishing it from a busy thoroughfare of strip malls, automobile dealers and furniture shops. A box resembling a large refrigerator stands inside the nearly empty shop, near a few shelves stocked with vitamins and herbs.

A guard in a black T-shirt emblazoned with the word "Security" on the front stands at the door. A poster of Bob Marley decorates a back room.

The computerized machine requires fingerprint identification and a prepaid card with a magnetic stripe. Once the card and fingerprint are verified, a bright green envelope with the pot drops down a slot.

Mehdizadeh says any user approved for medical marijuana and registered in a computer database at his dispensaries can pre-purchase the drug and then use the machine to pick up.

The process provides convenience and privacy for users who may otherwise feel uncomfortable about buying marijuana, Mehdizadeh said.

At the Timothy Leary Medical Dispensary in the San Fernando Valley, the vending machine is accessible only during business hours. An employee there said the machine was introduced about five months ago, and provides speedy service.

"It helps a lot of patients who are in a lot of pain and don't want to wait around to get help," Robert Schwartz said. "It's been working out great."

Mehdizadeh said he sought the advice of doctors, and decided to limit the amount of marijuana per user to an ounce per week. Each purchase from the machine yields 1/8th or 2/8th of an ounce. By eliminating a vendor behind the counter, he said, the machine offers users lower drug prices. The 1/8th ounce packet would cost about $40 ? $20 lower than the average price at other dispensaries.

'It's to medicate'
A spokesman for a marijuana advocacy group said the machine also benefits dispensary owners.

"It limits the number of workers in the store in the event of a raid, and it'll make it harder for theft," said Nathan Sands, of The Compassionate Coalition.

Marijuana use is illegal under federal law, which does not recognize the medical marijuana laws in California and 11 other states.

The Drug Enforcement Agency and other federal agencies have been actively shutting down major medical marijuana dispensaries throughout the state over the last two years and charging their operators with felony distribution charges.

Mehdizadeh said the Herbal Nutrition Center was the target of a federal raid in December. He said no arrests were made and no charges have been filed against him.

Kris Hermes, a spokesman for advocacy group Americans for Safe Access, said the machine might benefit those who already know how much and what strain of marijuana they're looking for. But he said others will want to see and smell the drug before they buy it.

A man who said he has been authorized to use medical marijuana as part of his anger management therapy said the vending machine's security measures would at least protect against illicit use of the drug.

"You have kids that want to get high and that's not what marijuana is for," Robert Miko said. "It's to medicate."
STEELtownHAVOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088
Default Re: Marijuana Vending Machines

what is our country coming to...

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

"Timothy Leary Medical Dispensary" - turn on, tune in, drop out. Great, now I'm gonna have the Moody Blues' Legend of a Mind stuck in my head the rest of the day now.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,666 Times in 1,153 Posts

Quote:
"You have kids that want to get high and that's not what marijuana is for," Robert Miko said. "It's to medicate."
somebody sshould let this guy know, weed was used to "get high", long before it was used to "medicate"

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Pot (in all forms) should have been legalized years ago. This is stupid. I've seen hundreds (maybe thousands) of violent and wicked drunks who scared the piss out of me, but I've never seen a guy that was high who worried me about more than the fact that he may try to scarf my pizza.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
LOS ANGELES
That's all I needed to read.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Pot (in all forms) should have been legalized years ago. This is stupid. I've seen hundreds (maybe thousands) of violent and wicked drunks who scared the piss out of me, but I've never seen a guy that was high who worried me about more than the fact that he may try to scarf my pizza.
Agree 100%.

But I still don't like the vending machines...too easy for kids to access.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Agree 100%.

there seems to be good security in it, but I guess just like alcohol they would find a way to get it

I'm in favor of pot legalization, but a Vending machine doesn't seem like the answer
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

If you remove the mystique and stigma of anything, the appeal will drop. I'm not saying kids should be able to buy dope at vending machines, but a large part of the appeal of these things is artificially created by making it so taboo and unattainable in the first place.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:03 PM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,666 Times in 1,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Agree 100%.

as compared to the dope dealers that can be found on any city corner...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote