Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-31-2008, 10:19 AM   #21
MarylandSteeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7277
Default Re: Roethlisberger dismisses 'rift' with Ward

Why is it always the media's fault, why can't these players take some of the blame, why do we always think that the players can say nothing wrong that it is the media that is always in the wrong, I am not saying that the media is always right, but why does it seem that the majority of the time that people always blame the media and not the player.

The player says that the media misquoted him and all of a sudden we are supposed to believe that everything that the player says is law and that there is no way that the player said what the media said that he said?

I know that the media is looking for a story, but I think that we give too much credit to the players, in the fact that if a player says something controversial, and then he takes heat for it, and then the player says that he was taken out of context, that it is automatically that the media took him out of context, not that the player actually meant what he said but he is trying to cover his own butt by blaming it on the media.
MarylandSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:48 AM   #22
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,233 Times in 3,617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
So he goes on Jim Rome's show and gives a no comment when the question inevitably comes up, how do you think that's going to be interpreted?

Or do you think he's not entitled to show himself during the offseason, good little quarterbacks should be seen but not heard? Well that's not the guy we got, he did the best he could to diffuse what should have been a non issue to begin with and that should be the end of it fo Hines and us alike. But it probably wont be.
The press conference was supposed to discuss the Pro Bowl. Ben went on Rome voluntarily.

Maybe the league can order him to appear at the press conference for the Pro Bowl (although i doubt it) but it is my understanding that Jim Rome does not have subpoena power to force Ben to come on his show.

It gets back to my point that it is not Ed. B.'s fault for reporting what Ben & Ward told him. If players do not want to have to explain what they meant then don't say it in the first place. However, some players enjoy the attention and accordingly need to deal with the consequences.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:15 AM   #23
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

well u have to look at it that ed took the interview and turned it into a dibaucle... these reporters have the power to turn a conversation of 2 ppl saying hi and bye into a fight of words by the way he writes it..

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:11 PM   #24
steelergirl07
Bench Warmer

Location: Original Hawaii girl, now living in Seahawks country
Member Number: 6622

I think the whole thing was taken out of context. But I also don't think it was totally the medias fault. It was just a snowball effect, and you can't blame reporters for doing their job.

And also I don't think Ben craves the spotlight. He's a franchise QB, of coure he's going to be interviewed. Should he just shut up, no. He's a person like everyone else and should have the right to speak if he wants too. Too me, it seems like he has fun when he does tv shows. Let him have fun, the season is done. He should just watch how he says things sometimes. And I'm sure after this whole debacle, he will.

Six time Super Bowl Champions!!!
steelergirl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:17 PM   #25
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Of course you guys, big mouth primadonna Ben has all the local media outlets on his cell phone ready to call whenever he feels like speaking out and stirring controversy. What a primadonna he is.
Uh, I don't recall anybody here insinuating that Ben has Bouchette or any other reporter on speed dial looking to trash his teammates. All I or others have been saying is that in those circumstances when reporters are obviously fishing for a good quote, he should be more guarded in his comments. That's all.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:28 PM   #26
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Is there anyone here on this board that has been interviewed by the press, then had said interview printed. If so shed some light on how that came out. Now has anyone had a conversation with a friend, family member, or co-worker that after being retold somehow got twisted into something that offended others. I bet more of you have been in that situation more than you want to admit. Now, imagine, you are a celebrity, sports figure or public figure who is constantly badgered for interviews. Some say watch what you say, good enough but whose to say it will not be contorted into some sensationalized piece of news anyway. Some say do not do interviews, fine ,but what about real fans who would like to know more about their idols, and what of others who will spin this as they are above doing interviews too good so to speak. Big Ben is the current Steeler QB, our franchise QB, who was asked a loaded question and he gave what I believe to be an semi-honest answer. I say semi in that he was not totally honest or he would of complained loudly about his O-Line, bur he showed some tact, now he said he would like a tall receiver, well shoot him, every other QB in the league would like a tall receiver. He complimented all his current receiving corp, he would just like to add another piece to this team to improve from where it is now. If him and Hines have worked this out then let us as fans move on. We all seem to have picked a side to align with, when in reality we should all be on the same side. I would not trade Hines Ward for any receiver in the league but we need to be grooming a receiver to some day take their place on the field and if it turns out to be a talented tall receiver so much the better.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:11 PM   #27
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

So the thing no one's really talking about relative to this latest article is Ben's contract status. He's predictably vague on the subject, but I'm sure his agents keep him informed on every little thing that happens.

I'm presuming the Rooneys are going to wait until after the Pro Bowl to start negotiating, and probably we won't hear one word about it until it's a done deal and splashed all over the Pittsburgh media.

Any thoughts/guesses as to the length and value of the contract? I think Ben will retire a Steeler, though I don't think this one contract will be sufficient for the total term. In other words, they'll probably have to do this (re-negotiate) one more time at least.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:15 PM   #28
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

he is completely right, it was blown up and i think we should all just move along.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:07 PM   #29
Tony19
Water Boy

Member Number: 8153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
If Ben wants to have the story die down he could quit commenting about it.
He didn't say anything "wrong," it was blown out of proportion.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:34 PM   #30
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,233 Times in 3,617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlejazzbird View Post
So the thing no one's really talking about relative to this latest article is Ben's contract status. He's predictably vague on the subject, but I'm sure his agents keep him informed on every little thing that happens.
Great point

Ben knows how to zip it when it is something that impacts his bottom line, so it is hard to feel sorry for poor Ben being manipulated by the mean ol' media when he elects to pop off about ex-coaches or preferences in wide receivers.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote