Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-31-2008, 11:04 PM   #11
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037
Default Re: Aussie_steeler mock draft V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
Hey Aussie, I love the work that you put into your draft with all the info on each player, that takes alot of time and effort. I like your draft but, I really dont see Cherilus lasting that long bud, I think that if the Steelers dont take him the Packers will. The Steelers must get better and deeper on both lines, offense and defense to have a chance at next years tittle. I think that Smith at DE is as solid as there is here on this team right now, but the others are very suspect other than Hampton at NT. What ever happened to the Chris Hoke guy? I thought maybe he should be playing in the absence of Smith at DE.

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree that both lines need to add some youth. Chris Hoke is the back up Nose Tackle behind Casey Hampton. The only options left to cover Aaron Smith were Eason and McBean. This is exactly where and why the cover is needed. I dont see many options in free agency. The only guys appear to be the other side of 30 eg. Spicer from the Jags.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:47 AM   #12
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

a reminder... more and more teams are trading away their 1st round pick of the next years draft... we don't always have to look at 2nd or 3rd rounders this year... i'd much rather have a 49ers 1st pick next year than their 2nd pick this year...

aside from cherilus being our pick im overall satisfied... i think u should really look at chris williams as our 1st pick.... also im thinking that WR is a position we should take a flier on... find a guy who is tall and fast and see if we can make anything out of him..
Old 02-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #13
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Rhee Rhee
Does this last thread of yours have anything to do with what Ben just said recently? I really think that the Steelers should maybe try to get someone in the 2nd or later rounds at WR myself. Our O Line and D Line are alot more need right now to select a receiver in the 1st. Of course I understand that you have your opinion and that is great, but what would be the smartest move on the Steelers Front Office?... a WR with the 6' 5" size or a top notch LOT or ROT? I think that our O line is more needy right now ..
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #14
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
a reminder... more and more teams are trading away their 1st round pick of the next years draft... we don't always have to look at 2nd or 3rd rounders this year... i'd much rather have a 49ers 1st pick next year than their 2nd pick this year...

aside from cherilus being our pick im overall satisfied... i think u should really look at chris williams as our 1st pick.... also im thinking that WR is a position we should take a flier on... find a guy who is tall and fast and see if we can make anything out of him..
That is a strong possibility ( trading for next years pick) but I think we need an influx of talent now. Williams is a great talent and if he is there at #23 then we should take him. I am covering bases as I feel the OTs we are after might be gone.

I think the WR debate is intriguing. My main line of thinking is that we are going to have to replace Hines in 2 or 3 years so soon we will need to find a possession type receiver who is willing to support the running game and also play tough over the middle. We arent ready to do that this year.

We have just invested in Santonio Holmes and need to give Washington, Reid, Baker and a few others a chance to blossom. (Holmes, Reid and Washington are our flyers already) I also think Spaeth needs to play more TE so Heath Miller could possibly be used to play the tall receiver role when needed.

Thanks for the feedback
Old 02-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #15
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Quote:
Rhee Rhee
Does this last thread of yours have anything to do with what Ben just said recently? I really think that the Steelers should maybe try to get someone in the 2nd or later rounds at WR myself. Our O Line and D Line are alot more need right now to select a receiver in the 1st. Of course I understand that you have your opinion and that is great, but what would be the smartest move on the Steelers Front Office?... a WR with the 6' 5" size or a top notch LOT or ROT? I think that our O line is more needy right now ..
good point elvis and aussie good point...

but my idea is kinda like this... we got to the playoffs this year with a horrible o-line... in the second i see us taking anthony collins or carl nicks who are both OT's... there is no way our o-line can be worse than it was... so i guess my idea is adress the o-lines in rounds 2-3 and CB and WR in 4,5 so i guess it would look something like this..

2. Anthony Collins OT Kansas OR Carl Nicks, OT Nebraska
3. Kerry Brown OG App. State
4. Simeon Castille CB Alabama or Darnell Terrell CB Missouri OR Marcus Monk, WR, Arkansas
5. Amarri Jackson South Florida, WR OR Edward Williams WR, Lane
6. Marcus Dixon DE Hampton
Old 02-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #16
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I really just hope that the Steelers org. watched last night's Super Bowl Thrashing that the Giants laid upon the Patriots. A strong running game and a good defense goes a long way in getting Tittles, and the Rooney's I believe understand that more than any other front office in the league. I think with this, that they must see that we must get stronger up front of both lines. And that means free agency and the draft mean more this year than really even in the past few years. We are getting some age on our Defense that needs attention. Like NT and DE and OLB ( which should be taken care of with last years first 2 picks) Our secondary at the corners arent getting any younger either.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #17
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Quote:
I really just hope that the Steelers org. watched last night's Super Bowl Thrashing that the Giants laid upon the Patriots. A strong running game and a good defense goes a long way in getting Tittles, and the Rooney's I believe understand that more than any other front office in the league. I think with this, that they must see that we must get stronger up front of both lines. And that means free agency and the draft mean more this year than really even in the past few years. We are getting some age on our Defense that needs attention. Like NT and DE and OLB ( which should be taken care of with last years first 2 picks) Our secondary at the corners arent getting any younger either.
ur right about the defense going a long way... but i really dont think the running game is that important neither team went over 100 yards rushin... and neither back had a particularly good day on the ground... and neither team had an avergae yard per rush of over 4... i think more and more the passing game will be featured in the future...
Old 02-05-2008, 01:35 AM   #18
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Quote:
ur right about the defense going a long way... but i really dont think the running game is that important neither team went over 100 yards rushin... and neither back had a particularly good day on the ground... and neither team had an average yard per rush of over 4... i think more and more the passing game will be featured in the future...
A good running game is needed to take time out of the clock. This is the one factor that allows for our defence to be great.

Short offensive series dont allow our speed orientated linebackers to recouperate and the D line just get worn down.

If we do go down the line of a passing offence then we seriously need depth on both D line and linebackers to continue to play the fast paced Le Beau defence.

Last edited by Aussie_steeler; 02-06-2008 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Typo
Aussie_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:40 AM   #19
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
A good running game is needed to take time out of the clock. This is the one factor that allows for our defence to be great.

Short offensive series dont allow our speed orientated linebackers to recouperate and the D line just get worn down.

If we do go down the line of a passing offence then we seriously need depth on both D line and linebackers to continue to play the fast paced Le Beau defence.
Hawaii had the most exciting (in my mind) offense this year.... they were a pure passing team AND were great at holding on to the ball at the end of the game because they had plays that allowed them to milk the clock... quick passes screen passes were basicallly running plays for them... they were great at holding on to the ball and although you might not know it there longest drive this season was around 7:00 (maybe a little less)... which is basically half the quarter...
Old 02-08-2008, 04:18 AM   #20
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Quote:
Hawaii had the most exciting (in my mind) offense this year.... they were a pure passing team AND were great at holding on to the ball at the end of the game because they had plays that allowed them to milk the clock... quick passes screen passes were basicallly running plays for them... they were great at holding on to the ball and although you might not know it there longest drive this season was around 7:00 (maybe a little less)... which is basically half the quarter...
No doubt it works in college football for some. In the pro's I have my doubts for its long term success. I am not that switched on about college football, but how would Hawaii's offence stack up against LSU, USC and other college power houses who have great defences week in week out? They would eventually have to find a balance between run and pass to sustain drives for long periods.

I am not trying to diss Hawaii. I just think that its offensive style would not suit the steelers in our division.

My justification is that as the O line has deteriorated, so to has the ability to run the screen play. If you show run and can still run that is a fantastic tool for breaking a teams spirit. ( i still love smashmouth football personally)

Personally, I would like to see a return to steelers play that has a mean streak that intimidates. We are and will run over you. We challenge you to stop it. Then the screen can become a big play weapon when needed. Then the passing game can become explosive.