Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #21
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579
Default Re: Aussie_steeler mock draft V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
Personally, I would like to see a return to steelers play that has a mean streak that intimidates. We are and will run over you. We challenge you to stop it. Then the screen can become a big play weapon when needed. Then the passing game can become explosive.
quite honestly i would LOVE to see are steelers just pound it out 40 times a game...

the only thing is with ben we can't bottle him up with 15-20 pass attempts per game... uk and i both know he's a top 5 QB and should be treated like one... let him just go off some games with 30 pass attempts...

but anywho.... that's my wish but my feeling is also that w/e works better for the steelers and what helps them to suceed should be the type of football we play... (or maybe we could do both! somehow...)
Old 02-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #22
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
the only thing is with ben we can't bottle him up with 15-20 pass attempts per game... uk and i both know he's a top 5 QB and should be treated like one... let him just go off some games with 30 pass attempts...
I think that assessment is spot on. A two headed offensive monster that can run first and foremost but if/ when it is needed to then rely on the passing game for first downs(when playing teams like Baltimore/ Jags with run orientated D). I believe that this is what the Offence can morph into with an upgrade on the O line over the next two years.

Back to the draft he more I think about it the more I am beginning to shift towards the idea of drafting Pollack in the second round round. OT/OG in the first and Center in the second and a quality Free agent OT could provide us with the type of line that would really control the time of possession battle. ( Old school steelers football)

I have been watching some games from 2007 again and the more you look at the center position play the more you worry for Bens safety.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #23
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Agreed although I might have C and G positions switched...

the center position is soo thin that i think it's one of the worst center positions of all time...

there are no guards warranting 1st roudn consideration but plenty that warrant second round picks... we can also nab a center in the third or fourth if need bee...
Old 04-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #24
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

I havent posted a mock for two months so its time for my third and hopefully final attempt at a mock.

Round 1. ANTOINE CASON, Arizona CB
6-0, 190 40 time: 4.54 1st round
NFL Comparison: Chris McAlister, Ravens
Read & React: Makes plays on the ball. Shows the instincts, vision and anticipation to time and break on a play. Alert and is quick to diagnose the play.
Man Coverage: Shows good foot quickness, agility and body control to turn but isn't always fluid. Gets turned around and doesn't have the top-end speed and burst to recover. Maintains contact throughout routes and has the timing for deflections.
Zone Coverage: Has a good feel for zone coverage, adjusting to the receiver through the route progression. Has the hands and timing to break and make plays on the ball consistently.
Closing/Recovery: Comes out of his backpedal with urgency. Is a good athlete and moves to the ball, but doesn't have the burst to close or recover.
Run support: Active in run support but his effort in this area in inconsistent. Hits and wraps adequately but fails to generate power on contact. Did force five fumbles.
Intangibles: A hard worker from an athletic family, Cason welcomes a challenge and has the experience and ability to be an asset in the return game.

Deshea's future replacement and punt return man this year

http://www.lindyssports.com/content.php?id=2196

Round 2 DRE MOORE, Maryland DE / DT
6-4, 307 40 time: 5.04 2nd round
Positives: Unique build with rare straight-line speed for the position. Flashes quickness off the snap. Improved play recognition and motor as a senior. Still developing and played only two years of high school football. Dedicated in the weight room. Owns school strength records.
Negatives: Not the sum of his parts. Better athlete than football player. Has quickness but will fail to read keys, which opens running lanes. Doesn't use his hands well to disengage. Inconsistent motor. Can be moved off the line too easily.
In Our View: Moore is a player on the rise with good upside. He hasn't improved at the rate many would like, but with his quickness and upper-body strength, he's an enticing prospect who could fit in the second round.

future RDE for 3-4 or DT for 4-3 change in future

http://www.lindyssports.com/content.php?id=2189

Round 3. SHAWN CRABLE, Michigan OLB
6-5, 241 40 time: 4.65 3rd round
Positives: Well-built athlete who relies on quickness, speed, range and flashes good acceleration. A bit high-cut, but has room to bulk up to 260 pounds for possible use as a hybrid DE/OLB. Not explosive, but enough giddyup to get an edge on the outside shoulder of an offensive tackle. Shows good production coming off the edge to disrupt the pocket and is solid vs. outside run containment. Team-first athlete who enjoys his role on special teams.
Negatives: Slender in his thighs and legs and appears to lack the bulk to anchor vs. double teams. Still learning how to break down plays in space (better at the line of scrimmage), where he seems to be late recognizing action happening away from his immediate territory. Because of his lanky frame, he fails to generate good pad level, getting too tall in his stance and struggles to shed. Prone to taking extra steps in transition, causing problems when trying to mirror tight ends and backs in space.
In Our View: Crable will need to improve his lower-body strength for the next level, as his only value right now is as a pass rusher. He is a very good edge rusher and blitzer, but he lacks the sand in his pants to generate a good anchor and must do a better job of using his hands to protect his body from combo blocks and cut blocks.

replaces Harrison in future and forms an awesome tandem at OLB with Woodley

http://www.lindyssports.com/content.php?id=2204

Round 4 KIRK BARTON , Ohio State (OT)
Height: 6-5. Weight: 311. Projected 40 Time: 5.08.
Combine 40 Time: Did not run. Pro Day 40 Time: 4.95.
Arm: 33 1/4. Benchx225: 34.

Big tackle would be at home playing tackle in a steeler uniform
No detailed analysis yet on lindysports

Round 5 RYAN TORAIN, Arizona State (RB)
Height: 6-0. Weight: 222. Projected 40 Time: 4.47.
Combine 40: 4.64. Pro Day 40: 4.51.
Benchx225: 21. Vertical: 34.
Hard runner who was robbed through injury of round 1 or 2 status. This has been my homer pick throughout the off season so I cant give up on him now.
No detailed analysis yet on lindysports

6. CALEB CAMPBELL, Army (SS)
6-2, 223 40 time: 4.53 5th round
Positives: Well-built athlete with broad shoulders. Legitimate straight-line speed. Versatile player who has experience at linebacker and safety. Instinctive. Reads the action quickly and brings a physical nature to a defense. Prototype size. Reliable, forceful open-field tackler. Solid week of practice at the East-West Shrine Game solidified his stock.
Negatives: Struggles to change direction fluidly. Not a quick-twitch athlete who shows explosiveness out of his breaks. Speed on the field doesn't always match his 40 time. Torn ACL in his right knee in October 2006 limited him early in '07 and will certainly be evaluated further.
In Our View: An intriguing athlete and potential NFL surprise, Campbell ran in the 4.5s for scouts despite his rare size and after rehabbing a torn ACL. In coverage, he has rather marginal change-of-direction agility. Regardless of his pro position, Campbell's physicality and instincts make him a developmental candidate and sure special-teams demon.

I have changed my mind so many times that it is time to make a stand and deliver my final mock.

In the past our picks in rounds 5, 6 & 7 have not been stellar. Thats why I have gambled on Torain who was a first round projection before injury who would make an awesome complement to FWP and a smart guy like Campbell who could make a name for himself on special teams and one day maybe grow into a SS or MLB backup role. The other picks all fill needs and represent their current value.

I am going to be away for the next ten days so unfortunately I will not be around to defend my picks. I am going to struggle not reading what is going on in Draft Central.
Fortunately though I am off to compete in the Australian Amatuer Golf Championship (our national championship) in Adelaide starting next Monday. Looking forward to competing against some of the future superstars of Australian and world golf.

Talk to everyone soon.

Last edited by Aussie_steeler; 04-09-2008 at 07:48 AM. Reason: additions
Aussie_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #25
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Not bad Aussie, and everyone thought I was crazy when I went defense the first three rounds. Not sure about the RB pick, but the kid has good measurables.

Good luck in your tournement!
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:50 AM   #26
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,568 Times in 1,508 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Good luck aussie
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote