Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-31-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
SGrogan
Water Boy

Member Number: 8056
Default Burress Guarantees Victory

Tom Coughlin, John Mara bristle over Plaxico Burress' guarantee

GLENDALE, Ariz. - Before the question was even finished, John Mara cringed as if someone had just kicked him in the stomach. He's a conservative man, quiet by nature, content to lurk in the background.

He'd prefer his team to be that way, too.

"Yeah, I don't particularly like to have people make guarantees and stuff like that," Mara said yesterday. "I'd like to keep it as quiet as possible. There's been a minimal amount of chirping all season and we'd like to keep it that way.

"God willing, we'll get through today without incident."

Mara's Giants did appear to get through Tuesday's media day unscathed, but that minimal chirping the Giants have done has flared up lately. Plaxico Burress, GM Jerry Reese and co-owner Steve Tisch have all issued what have been portrayed as guarantees of victory in Super Bowl XLII.

None of them was a strong, Namath-like proclamation. But they all got more attention than the Giants would have preferred.

"Are we supposed to say we're going to lose?" Antonio Pierce asked. "What do you want us to say? We're not here to play second to anyone."

Confidence is fine, but there is apparently a line that players aren't supposed to cross. Burress straddled it a few days ago when he said the Giants' receivers "do things just as well or maybe better than some of those" Patriots receivers. And he apparently jumped over it on Monday when he reportedly not only guaranteed victory, but also predicted the final score.

When asked about Burress' proclamation, Tom Coughlin was clearly upset with his star receiver yesterday.

"That's not what we aspire to do," Coughlin said. "We want to do our talking on the field. We've had a good theme all year long, which hasn't been that."

Burress, meanwhile, simply wondered what all the fuss was about.

"Are predictions guarantees?" Burress asked. "We want to win this game. It's interesting. You think of some things in life, as far as professional sports or playing in this game, and it's OK to want to win, think big and dream."

Then, without any reservation, he offered another guarantee of sorts: "We're going to take this thing back to New York City."

Somewhere, Mara cringed again.

"There's only so much you can do," Mara said. "You're constantly asked questions. You're constantly surrounded by media. There are times you're going to say things you probably shouldn't."

"I have already decided and said that I cannot control the actions of others," added Michael Strahan. "I've tried it and come to the realization that these guys are absolutely crazy, and (I'll) go along with whatever they say and laugh with it and go out and play on Sunday. If Plaxico said it, then 'Hee, hee, hee.'"

The Patriots weren't exactly laughing at the Giants, but they didn't seem bothered by the Giants' tough and confident talk. Strahan said he wasn't surprised by that, since he knows words don't really matter at all.

"You know what?" he said. "I could really care less if somebody guaranteed victory against us. You put it on the (bulletin) board and what, is it going to make me play harder? This is the Super Bowl. They are 18 and freakin' 0."

Of course, no one on the button-lipped Patriots would ever even think of guaranteeing a victory, but the talk-is-cheap Giants haven't been so shy. Maybe their words have been overblown by the media, but they're still the ones opening their mouths. They're "a confident bunch," according to Burress.

And that's not something they want to hide.

"We're a 10-6 regular-season team that made it to the Super Bowl and we got here the hard way, winning three road games," Burress said. "So hey, look at us. We didn't just get lucky to be here.

"You've got to want to win the game, man," Burress added. "You've got to want to win it. So why not us?"

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...over_plax.html

Last edited by fansince'76; 01-31-2008 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Edited to include article link.
SGrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396
Default Re: Burress Guarantees Victory

GO GIANTS!!! Woooooohooooo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Yep, this is just the bulletin board material the Patriots* need to put them over the top. Give me a break.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Just when some people think Plax has turned the corner his ignorance comes shining through. And don't give me " What did you want him to say, we're going to lose"

Just about everyone else on both teams were asked the same question and none of them were stupid enough to go there.

Football has officially become a chore to watch when I have to pull for a NY team.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,063 Times in 3,065 Posts
Default Book commemorating Patriots 19-0 season already for pre-sale

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessi...o&confirm=true

Quote:
BOSTON -- It's no typo: The Boston Globe is so confident in a Patriots victory in the Super Bowl this Sunday, the newspaper is already offering advance sales of a book entitled "19-0: The Historic Championship Season of New England's Unbeatable Patriots."

The problem is, the Patriots are currently 18-0. And the New York Giants might have something to say about that final win. The book, written by the paper's sports staff, is available for $14.95 for pre-order on Amazon.com.

The Globe isn't the only publisher jumping the gun. "New York Giants: 2008 Super Bowl Champions" is also available for pre-sale on Amazon.com. The book, published by Sports Publishing Inc., goes for $10.17.

The Globe issued a statement Tuesday saying it was "simply preparing for the possibility of a Patriots Super Bowl victory" in advertising the book, much like the city of Boston is planning for a possible victory parade.

The Globe also said it has asked Amazon to clarify that the book's publication is dependent on the outcome of the Super Bowl.

As of Tuesday afternoon, the Amazon site said for both books: "This title has not yet been released. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives."

Patriots spokesman Stacey James did not immediately return a call and e-mail Tuesday for comment, but he told the Boston Herald that the book's title must be a mistake. "Our record is 18-0."
im sure the insecure little patriots were beginning to sweat not having any BB material to motivate themselves. all is well now.

what babies. anyone hear tom brady whine about plex' prediction?

Quote:
"We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said before chuckling about it. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."
Old 01-31-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I really don't think it matters what Burress has to say when it comes to this game. Patriots will win eitherway. That's just from my 'fan point of view'.

If I were the coach or player on the Giants, I would also be cringing. I can't say that I blame them. No need to give them more fuel than they already have heading into this game, but Plax always had a problem with his mouth. No surprise there.

Anthony Smith.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:06 AM   #7
SGrogan
Water Boy

Member Number: 8056

There is a huge difference no one on the Pstriots or coaching staff wrote the book

Here is a link to the book called

2008 New York Giants Superbowl I cant post links but it's on amazon.com
SGrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:08 AM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,063 Times in 3,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrogan View Post
There is a huge difference no one on the Pstriots or coaching staff wrote the book

no difference at all unless youre claiming the poor little patriots were dissed.

how petty.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:09 AM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrogan View Post

Quote:
The Globe isn't the only publisher jumping the gun. "New York Giants: 2008 Super Bowl Champions" is also available for pre-sale on Amazon.com. The book, published by Sports Publishing Inc., goes for $10.17.
But that was written by the Giants, or someone on the Giants' coaching staff?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:46 AM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Brady: Plax prediction on Pats' points puzzling
Associated Press
Updated: January 30, 2008, 9:29 PM ET

PHOENIX-- 23-17.

Just 17 points for the potent Patriots.

A certain MVP quarterback thinks that's a Super-sized diss.

Tom Brady scoffed when told Wednesday that New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress guaranteed New York will beat Brady's undefeated New England team in Sunday's Super Bowl.

"We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said before chuckling about it. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."

Considering the Patriots set an NFL record by scoring 589 points, Brady's 50 touchdown passes were the most ever for one season, and Randy Moss broke Jerry Rice's mark with 23 TD catches, Burress might have been a bit chintzy.

The last time the Patriots played the Giants, in the season finale, New England rallied from 12 points down in the third quarter to win 38-35. The Patriots have not scored fewer than 20 points in their 18 victories, and the last time they put up only 17 was Dec. 10, 2006 -- a 21-0 loss at Miami in their last regular-season defeat.

Even if the Giants' defense performs at its peak, it's still doubtful New England will score only 17 points.

"I know they have confidence. They should have confidence," Brady said. "They are the NFC champions.

"I learned a lesson early in my career: No matter what you say during the week -- and God knows we say a lot this week -- we're going to be focused on going out and winning this game. We're confident, but I don't think we share our thoughts with everybody."

Burress did. And when he showed up 33 minutes late for the Giants' media session Wednesday morning, there was speculation the wide receiver was trying to avoid the spotlight.

Turns out Burress was spending time with his 1-year-old son and family at breakfast, claiming he was unaware so many people wanted to interrogate him about his prediction.

Nor was he aware, he said, that a hefty fine comes with missing a Super Bowl week media session.

"I don't understand what the fuss is about," Burress said, surrounded by at least as many TV cameras, microphones and notepads as Brady was two hours earlier. "Nobody wants to lose.

"All this is entertainment," added Burress, who was held out of practice Wednesday because of an ankle injury that has plagued him all season. "It's sports, and sports are entertainment. So 23-17 is the prediction I made, but the game still has to be played."

Told about Brady's reaction to that score, Burress said he wasn't disrespecting anyone.

"I'm not taking anything away from what those guys accomplished," he said. "They set all the records you could possibly imagine. They have a great quarterback, the MVP, who threw for a record [50] touchdowns. Randy set a TD record for catches. They had two receivers with over 100 catches.

"The numbers don't lie about what they have done."

Nor do the numbers 23-17 lie about what Burress thinks.

"Hey, look how much fun everybody is having with it," he said. "It makes national, international headlines. But the game still has to be played."

Giants coach Tom Coughlin couldn't have been pleased with Burress, but declined to say very much about him.

"I will speak with Plaxico in a private way, and that's where it will remain," he said.

New England played two games this season that were preceded by an opposing player's prediction. Pittsburgh's Anthony Smith guaranteed a win in Week 13 at Foxborough; the Patriots routed the Steelers 34-13. And after Brady threw an early TD pass over Smith, he verbally confronted the Steelers safety.

Days before the AFC title game, San Diego defensive end Igor Olshansky said the Chargers were unstoppable. New England stopped them, 21-12.

"We don't make predictions. We just let our play do the talking," Brady said matter-of-factly.

"Plaxico is a hell of a player. If he feels that way, I think that's great. I'd hate for him to think he's going to lose this game. It's obvious nobody does."

Burress was entitled to his opinion, Moss said, "but the only thing about a prediction is that you have got to make it happen."

"I think the pressure is more on them now, since they've guaranteed this victory. We've prepared very hard for the last week and a half, and we still have got a couple more days to get out there and tone some things up. But making a prediction that you are going to go out there and make it happen are very tough words to back up."

Not that Burress is backing down. He's done his Joe Namath impersonation off the field, and now he has to come through in similar fashion to what Namath and the New York Jets achieved in 1969: the biggest upset in Super Bowl history.

"Well, 23-17 was the first thing that came to my head," Burress said.

Then Burress looked at the numbered placard at the table where he was holding court.

"No. 23," he said. "How do you like that?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=3222404