Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #11
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
Default Re: Specter demands 'Spygate' details

And this is why people...New England will NOT get respect should they win.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #12
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,666 Times in 1,153 Posts

if it means dragging the patsys through the mud....i'm all for it...
if goodell won't properly police the nfl with an even hand, and make the punishment fit the crime, then somebody needs to step in. he suspends players for thier off the field activitys, because its viewed as making the league look bad, but yet nothing significant was done for cheating the entire league, from the other team owners other team players, all the way down to the other team fans !!!

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:43 PM   #13
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

a pats employee had to copy a tape or something so that down the road he could make some money off it. i just cant imagine all the evidence being completely gone forever.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #14
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,666 Times in 1,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
a pats employee had to copy a tape or something so that down the road he could make some money off it. i just cant imagine all the evidence being completely gone forever.
all the evidence isn't gone.....

"If I ever got brought in for a deposition or something, then I would just face the whole gauntlet of questions," Walsh said. "There would be things I'd be forced to answer that some people haven't taken responsibility for."

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #15
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The NFL did not hesitate to get Congress to "stick its collective nose" into the operations of professional football when it needed an anti-trust exemption to first get its league-wide TV contract with CBS in the early 1960s and then get an exemption for the merger with the AFL in the mid-1960s (the payoff for the AFL merger being blessed by Congress was then House majority leader Hale Boggs of Louisiana getting a franchise put in New Orleans).

The NFL is glad to be subject to federal oversight when it serves its purposes - as far as Goodell now being questioned by Specter, that's the breaks - you cannot pick when and when not you should be subject to federal oversight. If Goodell does not mind losing his anti-trust exemption then he can tell Specter to get lost - if not, then he needs to answer the questions. It is Goodell's own damn fault he is even facing this issue by trying to cover this up last September.

Well, of course Goodell needs to answer Specters questions. After which point, Arlen, who like to "edubicate" his fellow Senators publicly with vast legal knowledge, will drop the subject quietly. Arlen just needs a stage. As stated in the article compare this to the CIA possibly destroying interigation records, Pleeeaaaseeee.

Heck, Arlen isn't even the committee chairman at this point.

Sorry, I just don't think this is a federal matter, since the original "crime" was not a violation of a criminal statute that I am aware of (there you go making me defend the cheatriots - I'm going to be sick). Yes, I can't stand the Pat's but I don't think the Feds should be reviewing every league decision because they granted the league the antitrust legislation. Maybe Arlen has an opinion on Pacman Jones? I know let's not even wait to see if the owners will open up the labor agreement or if the players will strike in response. How about Arlen Specter devises his own fair labor agreement and tells the two sides to accept it or else?

Last edited by OneForTheToe; 02-01-2008 at 03:27 PM.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #16
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

The only thing that bothers me is that ESPN's Outside the Lines referred to Specter as a "Senator from Pittsburgh."

As if to spin this in a way that the city of Pittsburgh and Steelers Nation wants to bring it back into the spotlight.

I know some of you don't mind, but I'd rather not have the city or the organization linked to what could be an ugly process.

Personally, and I know '76 agrees, I wouldn't mind seeing Bristol dropping into the Atlantic Ocean....
Old 02-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #17
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,084 Times in 2,377 Posts

I wonder if Goodell had a Pats cap on when he gave these statements today?

N.F.L. Commissioner Defends Destruction of Tapes

''The reason I destroyed the tapes is they were totally consistent with what the team told me,'' Goodell said during his State of the NFL speech. ''It was the appropriate thing to do and I think it sent a message.

What message is that? We will help cover-up wrongdoing if your owner is in the league's inner circle and you are a top of the line franchise?

Goodell said there were six tapes, some from 2007 preseason games and the rest from 2006. Another reason he destroyed them was one tape was leaked to the media just after the Patriots-Jets game.

''We wanted to take and destroy that information,'' he said. ''They may have collected it within the rules, but we couldn't determine that. So we felt that it should be destroyed.''

Does anyone actually believe this started in 2006? When did the taping start and when were those other tapes destroyed? And exactly how is taping signals possibly within the rules? Is Goodell saying it was OK until the memo directing teams not to tape went out in September 2007?

''The actual effectiveness of taping and taking of signals from opponents -- it is something done widely in many sports. I think it probably had limited, if any effect, on the outcome of games.

Is it widely done in the NFL - is it widely done in any other sport - what sport? Are you saying having a team's signals would not have an effect on future games with that opponent?

Today is not exactly Goodell's shining moment, is it now?

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/spor...oodell.html?hp

Three cheers for Senator Specter forcing Godell to address this in his annual "State of the NFL" press conference the Friday before the Super Bowl and reminding everyone how loathsome Belicheat is.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #18
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

To each his own, I guess, Atlanta Dan. At least we can agree that the best outcome would be a Giants victory.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #19
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Like I said a while back this story is long from over. You can parade all the ESPN cronies in front of the camera you want to try and downplay this. Everyone knows the patsies cheated.

I'll be very interested in hearing what this guy Walsh has to say once the squeeze gets put on him. Stay tuned, Belliprick and Kraft will get run out of the league by the time this is over.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #20
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,084 Times in 2,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
To each his own, I guess, Atlanta Dan. At least we can agree that the best outcome would be a Giants victory.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote