Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #11
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Re: Chasing receivers has cost Steelers

Using the draft positions to justify that argument is disingenuous at best. Top offensive linemen are just as likely to come out of the UDFAs as they are from the draft, and round one o-line busts are legendary. The argument is a little bit better when discussing defensive linemen, because a great d-line guy can be a game changer, but still; I don't have much of a complaint about '01's first rounder, nor '02's, '03's, '04s first rounder, nor '05's, nor '06's, or even '07s! Heck, I don't have a problem with Plex in '00; he had huge upside potential, which shows today. Our drafts have been pretty good, IMO. Some linemen haven't developed, but you can only know that in retrospect. You have to go back to Edwards in '99 for our last real first round bust.

Looking forward, you can use the same argument to say that we have the receiver position pretty well sorted out, with Holmes finishing his first year as a top level NFL player, Ward acknowledged as the best clutch player in the game at his position and with a few years left, with better backups (Washington and Wilson) than some teams have starters, and with one top tier tight end and one guy poised to be a second top tight end, on a team that hasn't had a pass catching tight end since Bennie Cunningham got injured. If Reid develops into a slot guy as good as Randle-El, then we are even better off. I wouldn't trade our receiving corps en masse for any other in the NFL except for the Patriots, and I prefer our guys with their contract situation to the Pats' guys with theirs; ours will be around as a group a lot longer.

It's simple; you can't have it all. If we had all the linemen we needed, we wouldn't have anyone to throw to. I'd prefer to look for the big guys in the later rounds and among the UDFAs, and I'll take the "hands" guys in the early rounds, thanks.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #12
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
[B]t I do feel Holmes is making very nice strides and is capable of becoming just as good as Burress (while being able to speak English) and is proving to me to be a very capable "replacement".
Hell yeah IMHO. The English part won't be that important when the Steelers play in California. I do wonder about his long term durability.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But aren't the majority of headlines about Plax wondering if he'll even play and how much? How in the hell is THAT a quality asset? I'll take Steve Smith right now over any other Giants receivers.

BUT "the Steelers have ignored a growing void on their interior lines" THIS is completely unforgivable. Only time will tell. We sold our soul for XL. And just like the Vegas housing market...No Answers - No Solutions - No End In Sight.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #13
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

most of u are looking at this all wrong, i would take holmes over a lot of recievers. i think burress is a top 2 reciever in the league(tied with moss), and holmes is a top 10 in my mind, but they give you different things. holmes is the 50 fly pattern guy and burres is the 18 yd comeback or curl guy.

this read is horrible, how can you say that we risked anything by signing fred gibson, he was picked in the 5th round, he wasnt a top pick or anything. this thread says absolutely nothing about recievers costing the steelers.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #14
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
most of u are looking at this all wrong, i would take holmes over a lot of recievers. i think burress is a top 2 reciever in the league(tied with moss),
I think that Wayne, T.O., Chad and Steve Smith(Carolina) are all better than Plax.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #15
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSteeler View Post
In my opinion Burress wasn't that great to begin with.

Totally in agreement that the Steelers have neglected the o-line and the d-line and it is definatly coming back to haunt them. We have to take a lineman in the first round no matter what, that is our weakness and that is what we need to focus on.

Everything else is solid enough that I think that we can afford to not draft anything else in the first three rounds besides linemen.
sorri but burress was great to begin with... anyone who's 6'5 210 and runs sub 4.4 and is incredibly nuts is good in my opinion.... remember that he and ben were beggining to click until injury and patriots ended our season... imagine if they had more time... it would've let ken whisenhunt do w/e he wanted...
Old 02-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #16
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt View Post
BUT "the Steelers have ignored a growing void on their interior lines" THIS is completely unforgivable. Only time will tell. We sold our soul for XL. And just like the Vegas housing market...No Answers - No Solutions - No End In Sight.
just because we havent been throwing around money to buy the best linemen (browns....) does not mean we havent been doing nothing and "ignoring it"... we have put in the draft picks necessary to supply depth and future starters it's just that the guys we get suck... i think it's our director of college of scouting... whoever that is...
Old 02-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #17
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
sorri but burress was great to begin with... anyone who's 6'5 210 and runs sub 4.4 and is incredibly nuts is good in my opinion.... remember that he and ben were beggining to click until injury and patriots ended our season... imagine if they had more time... it would've let ken whisenhunt do w/e he wanted...
"Great"?

Great is John Stallworth and Jerry Rice.

And unfortunately, after dropping ball after ball, running bad route after bad route, not going for the ball at it's highest point and running his mouth off on a few occasions ....he sort of wore out his welcome here in Pittsburgh.

As for what he's doing right now (not that I really care, because he didn't do it here)...unfortunately, the Rooney's are not capable of reading the future. Yet we still went on to win XL and I'm still failing to see how we are lacking at the #1 and #2 WR slot on this team.