Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-26-2005, 04:00 PM   #11
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,288 Times in 651 Posts
Default Re: Steelers enjoying typical disrespect...

I love it when they dont like us, thats when we win. My hope is that we go into the playoffs and everyone is picking Indy or the Pats or whoever.
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:47 PM   #12
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

No respect is good! Keep us on our toes. We play better that way. This may be a little bulletin board news for our team
Old 10-26-2005, 06:57 PM   #13
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,521 Times in 3,752 Posts

Getting worried about where you rank on some website is ludicrous.

With regard to the NFL "rankings" it's not the BCS, where you are sweating out some sportswriter screwing you out of a proper ranking in order to help out the prospects of the sportswriter's local team (e.g. the Texas sportswriters who lowballed Cal in the polls last year so the final BCS rankings would put Texas rather than Cal in the Rose Bowl). It is not even college bball, where polls can impact your seeding in the NCAA tournament.

The NFL decides who gets in the playoffs and where they play based solely on what you do on the field. These "rankings" are total nonsense and a functon of needing to put something up on your site to attract readers. For what it is worth, Dr. Z has forgotten more about football than Prisco will ever know.

In closing, the Steelers were a unanimous #1 in the rankings at the end of last year's regular season - seen any T-shirts or hats proclaiming that fact or talked to anyone who cares about that ranking?
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:39 PM   #14
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
Getting worried about where you rank on some website is ludicrous.

With regard to the NFL "rankings" it's not the BCS, where you are sweating out some sportswriter screwing you out of a proper ranking in order to help out the prospects of the sportswriter's local team (e.g. the Texas sportswriters who lowballed Cal in the polls last year so the final BCS rankings would put Texas rather than Cal in the Rose Bowl). It is not even college bball, where polls can impact your seeding in the NCAA tournament.

The NFL decides who gets in the playoffs and where they play based solely on what you do on the field. These "rankings" are total nonsense and a functon of needing to put something up on your site to attract readers. For what it is worth, Dr. Z has forgotten more about football than Prisco will ever know.

In closing, the Steelers were a unanimous #1 in the rankings at the end of last year's regular season - seen any T-shirts or hats proclaiming that fact or talked to anyone who cares about that ranking?
By following this line of reasoning, there's hardly any sense in discussing NFL football at all until early February...and I should throw away my Steelers 2004 AFC North Champions hat...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:18 PM   #15
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,521 Times in 3,752 Posts

Suitanim - Your 2004 AFC North Champs hat (as was the case with my 1994 AFC Central Champs sweatshirt I still have) was for something earned on the field, not awarded by Prisco or Dr. Z; my point was that nobody is wearing a CBS Sportsline NFL 2004 Regular Season #1 Peter Prisco Power Ranking hat.

As someone who has DirecTV for the purpose of getting all regular season Steeler games, I also am not arguing that the regular season does not matter - however, I am fairly confident that at no point while while watching a game this season have you been involved in a conversation concerning how that game will impact the Steelers' position in the espn.com, CBS Sportsline, or CNN.SI power rankings.

With that having been said, take it from someone who lives in Atlanta and watched yet another crash & burn by the Braves in the postseason - the price of success is that winning the division again is nice but at some point not enough. Winning a Super Bowl is the realistic goal of this current team and the reason Jerome Bettis came back, not getting to walk around the locker room in late December wearing AFC North Division Champs hats (such a limited goal is better suited for the Bengals). The regular season games matter because no team gets a bye to the post-season. For this team the most important part of the season will begin in January - if theSteelers do not make the playoffs the 2005 season will be a huge disappointment for the team and its fans.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:56 PM   #16
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
Suitanim - Your 2004 AFC North Champs hat (as was the case with my 1994 AFC Central Champs sweatshirt I still have) was for something earned on the field, not awarded by Prisco or Dr. Z; my point was that nobody is wearing a CBS Sportsline NFL 2004 Regular Season #1 Peter Prisco Power Ranking hat.

As someone who has DirecTV for the purpose of getting all regular season Steeler games, I also am not arguing that the regular season does not matter - however, I am fairly confident that at no point while while watching a game this season have you been involved in a conversation concerning how that game will impact the Steelers' position in the espn.com, CBS Sportsline, or CNN.SI power rankings.

With that having been said, take it from someone who lives in Atlanta and watched yet another crash & burn by the Braves in the postseason - the price of success is that winning the division again is nice but at some point not enough. Winning a Super Bowl is the realistic goal of this current team and the reason Jerome Bettis came back, not getting to walk around the locker room in late December wearing AFC North Division Champs hats (such a limited goal is better suited for the Bengals). The regular season games matter because no team gets a bye to the post-season. For this team the most important part of the season will begin in January - if theSteelers do not make the playoffs the 2005 season will be a huge disappointment for the team and its fans.
You just talked yourself out of your original point. We can only, as fans, infer and prognostigate along with the talking heads who are paid to be more right than even the Head Coaches of the teams they criticize...regardless, the fun is as much in the chase as it it is in the kill.

Lighten up. It's week-to-week scores and power rankings and fantasy scores and player stats and so on and so-forth that make the NFL what it is...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:59 AM   #17
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I have to say that the Aaron Shatz power ranking system is the most laughable piece of journalism I have seen in a long time.

It has become fashionable to back your opinions with hard facts - but I think maybe someone is looking at the WRONG facts - surely Aaron looks at what his 'powerranking supercomputer' pops into his in-tray on a tuesday morning and can only groan "how can I possibly justify this load of nonsense?"

The most mind numbing of the rankings include.....

1. The recently vanquished Bengals ranked at No.2 - despite being shown who is the daddy in that particular division THAT VERY WEEK.

2. Chargers at No.3 - a team with a losing record at number 3? An argument can be made for being better than your record due to an adversely difficult schedule - but if you rank No.3 - then surely you should still be beating these teams.....

3. Miami 2-4 ranked ahead of 3-3 New England

4. 2-4 Oakland Raiders ranked ahead of 3-3 New England

We all know power-rankings are out there to cause debate....but I think this particular one should take a long walk off a short plank......not worth the cyber paper it is written on.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:52 AM   #18
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

bill belichick is warming up his deck of "no respect" cards as we speak. he will be playing them probably this week to motivate his crew. i dont buy it but the players sure do.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote