Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default Age Catching Up With Our Defense?

DB'sDeshea Townsend will be 34 just into the upcoming seasonIke Taylor will be 28 right before the start of the seasonAllan Rossum 30Bryant McFadden 26Anthony Madison 26William Gay 22LOLB'sClark Haggans 31Arnold Harrison 26Lamar Woodley 23LOLB'sJames Harrison 30Andre Frazier 26Marcuis Cooper 26Lawrence Timmons 22DT'sChris Hoke 32Casey Hampton 31Scott Paxson 25These are the ages of some of our starters and backups this upcoming season. I know that Haggans is going to be a free agent, that leaves us with Arnold Harrison backing up Woodley, is that what we really want there? I dont think so.James Harrison is going to the pro bowl but he is already 30. Is Timmons going to take his place or are the Steelers gonna move him inside? These questions will have to be answered during this offseason either thru the draft or free agency.Its hard to believe that Hampton is already 31 years old and Hoke is even almost 2 years older than him. I would have thought with last years drafting of Timmons and Woodley that the Steelers would be faced with this delima at LB's, but it is something that will have to be addressed as well. What ya'll think about this?
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410
Default Re: Age Catching Up With Our Defense?

I'd say that Townsend is the only age issue on our D at this time...Age 34 at DB isn't a great thing.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Most players graduate from college at age 22 or 23, so I don't think age is really an issue. 9 of the guys you named are 6 years or less from college, and taking out Taylor 8 of them are within 4 years.

Age catches up with every team one year at a time. Townsend might play another year or two, but everyone else is OK from an age standpoint.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58 View Post
I'd say that Townsend is the only age issue on our D at this time...Age 34 at DB isn't a great thing.
agreed.. something we could do is utilize townsend's football IQ and move him to FS.. or just use him as a nickelback...

considering harrison's age i wouldn't mind seeing a OLB come in the later rounds... hopefully he's named shawn crable or bruce davis...
Old 02-05-2008, 05:13 AM   #5
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I believe that Casey Hampton is now 31 and that is getting old for a NT and I think that it is time to start getting ready to replace him. Hoke is older than him and he is our only true know backup. James Harrison at 30 needs someone to groom behind him as well. I know that we drafted OLB's 1 and 2 last year, but it wouldnt suprise me to see Tomlin and co. use a high pick on a LB again this year, I really dont think that a 1 or 2 but somewhere after that wouldnt at all suprise me.
On nflcountdown.com they have got a 2 round mock draft posted and it is very informative about the players available, Go Check it Out.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:35 AM   #6
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

To me it's obvious, after the SB, that the old adage still holds true: defense wins championships!

We really need to get not only younger but better on defense. IMO, we really need help on the D-line and in the defensive backfield. We all saw what the losses of A. Smith and R. Clark did to our defense overall. Upgrades would also help on STs.

Just as important as O-line we need help on the D-line. Getting a dominant DE would allow Kiesel and Smith to take a blow. Getting another DT would be huge, not only to rotate with Casey, but would allow us to switch to a 4-3 on occasion if the matchups called for it.

We definetly need better cover safeties IMO, for when the matchups call for it. I look at the Pats as still the team to beat, and to beat them you need to be able to bring pressure with just 4 guys and your safeties need to be able to cover. In a game situation such as the Pats present with their passing offense, I would like to see Troy around the line of scrimmage more with a cover safety playing back.

I know this may sound sacrilegious but if we could get a DE to replace Kiesel in our base defense (Balmer, Langford, Dykes), he could drop a few pounds and go back to his role as a situational player and pass-rusher. I'm not saying Kiesel has not done a good job, but as an every down player he has not been effective on later downs pass-rushing. If you toss in a young DT (not necessarily a NT) it would give us a versatility along our defensive front that we don't have right now.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote