Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-05-2008, 04:09 PM   #11
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403
Default Re: Two years ago today - February 5, 2006

Starting with last year, I have made the watching of Super Bowl XL an annual tradition, which will end only when we win the next one!

I watched it again last night, pregame, game, all the commercials, postgame, and about an hour's worth of WTAE's local coverage, thanks to a friend's taping of it for me. I had tears in my eyes from start to finish, the same lump in the pit of my stomach at halftime, and that same feeling of elated disbelief when Hines caught Randle El's beauty of a pass - I remember thinking, we just might actually WIN this thing!!!!!

I cried like a baby all over again as they showed Cowher on the sidelines as the clock wound down, and jumped up and down like a kid at Christmas as WTAE showed footage of people celebrating on the South Side and in Oakland. I remember thinking with so much pride, that's my hometown and those are my Steelers.

I remember vividly how badly I wanted to be there that night and on Tuesday for the parade (which I watched on my computer at lunchtime, with tears of joy rolling down my face the entire time).

Here's the thing I didn't remember so much, and I wonder how many people either have forgotten or didn't really pay much attention. Despite Ben's horrible passer rating, he made most of the key plays that kept important drives alive. That beautiful pass to Hines on 3rd and 28 - I had forgotten how he carefully looked for the line of scrimmage before he threw the ball, so that he didn't go across it - that's an awful lot of poise for a second year quarterback in the biggest game of his life. And there were several key scrambles to convert third downs and keep drives alive, not to mention his touchdown run.

Many non-Steeler fans write off Ben's performance as another part of a Super Bowl of questionable caliber and even more questionable officiating. Upon further review, I would take issue with that. If you take Ben's performance as a whole (and I'm not excusing the interceptions), he did a lot to help his team in that game.

And as to the critics who said it was a terrible Super Bowl, here's another thing I noticed....we all know the Steelers came out tight and nervous at the beginning of that game, and didn't get a first down until the second quarter. Everyone is talking about how the Pats/Giants was the best Super Bowl ever, and yet not a whole heck of a lot happened in that game until the fourth quarter. Neither team was exactly setting the world on fire offensively. I think the raves for Sunday's game have more to do with the Pats' "immortality denied" and the fact that the Giants were such underdogs going in, than it has to do with how brilliantly either team executed. Brady played the worst game I've seen from him in forever, and Eli didn't really catch fire until those two touchdown drives late in the game. Hines's catch of Randle El's pass didn't have the "how did he do that" factor that David Tyree's had, but the Steelers' gadget play was executed perfectly and deserves a place right up there with the most beautiful scores in Super Bowl history, in my opinion.

It was fun to re-live the craziness of that night, but seeing as how I'm planning to discontinue the tradition once we win the next one, I hope I don't have to do it too many more times!
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:29 PM   #12
srk173
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6010

I cant believe your wedding day was happier than a steelers superbowl.
srk173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:29 PM   #13
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I have both the "Steelers Road to XL - post season Collector's Edition" and the "Super Bowl XL Champions - Pittsburgh Steelers Special Edition" DVD's. Both are excellent and I, too, tear up when I watch them remembering what a helluva ride that season was for us Steelers fans!
I have both of these as each offers a great perspective. One has all the playoff games from start to finish, with the Steeler radio team doing the play by play.
The other is a recap of the whole season as well as playoffs.

I also watched the America's game again last night and that is by far the best thing about the NFL Network. The did a fanatastic job wiht the naration and getting players comments and such. Porter just cracks me up on the 2005.

And for the record it is Hines that gets me chocked up every time, after loosing to Pats * and speaking about Bettis deserves to be a champion.

The 70's America games are also awesome to get the perspective of the players that went thru such good times. I believe you can buy all the Steeler america's game episodes on one DVD which is next for my collection.

History of the Steelers is also good..... and nice to watch during the offseason,,,
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #14
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by srk173 View Post
HA HA HA!! GOOD CALL!!

Now if you got married during the Superbowl Win, that would be something
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #15
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by srk173 View Post
LOL...believe it or not...it was.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:32 PM   #16
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I have both the "Steelers Road to XL - post season Collector's Edition" and the "Super Bowl XL Champions - Pittsburgh Steelers Special Edition" DVD's. Both are excellent and I, too, tear up when I watch them remembering what a helluva ride that season was for us Steelers fans!
I could not stop crying that day when they won it 2 years ago.

2 Year ago today, one of my biggest childhood dreams came true.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #17
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,793 Times in 2,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSteel View Post

I also watched the America's game again last night and that is by far the best thing about the NFL Network. The did a fanatastic job wiht the naration and getting players comments and such. Porter just cracks me up on the 2005.

The 70's America games are also awesome to get the perspective of the players that went thru such good times. I believe you can buy all the Steeler america's game episodes on one DVD which is next for my collection.
The end of the 2005 Steelers America's Game is bittersweet as over the closing credits they note Cowher retired after the next season and Porter was released.

The 70s Steelers America's Game videos are epic - my favorite is the 75 Steelers (the greatest Steelers SB champ of them all) with Wagner, White & Swann - Dwight White on the Browns game that season - "you're gonna have a bad day today - you can take this ass whipping any way you want, but you're gonna take it."

All 5 available on Amazon for $28.99 (or download for $1.99 each on Amazon or ITunes) with extras like this (extras only on DVD)

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d801413a7
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:46 PM   #18
TeeJay
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 7083

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSteel View Post
I have both of these as each offers a great perspective. One has all the playoff games from start to finish, with the Steeler radio team doing the play by play.
The other is a recap of the whole season as well as playoffs.

And for the record it is Hines that gets me chocked up every time, after loosing to Pats * and speaking about Bettis deserves to be a champion.

History of the Steelers is also good..... and nice to watch during the offseason,,,
Gotta love ?The Complete History? The Steelers, 1933 to 1994?Although I guess they should have waited another year and included the 05/06 season before making it!

The Steelers Immortals segments were fantastic. A really honest interview from Terry Bradshaw (and his reception when he returned to Pittsburgh in '02 made the hairs on my neck stand up); Bill Cowher smiling, shouting, smiling, then shouting some more?and of course The Bus. Just glad I?ve still got the second part of disc two to go.

So Sundays game was great, but only cause the Giants managed to do what everyone was hoping for???if the scores had been reversed I doubt people would remember the game, just the fact that 19 ? 0 is now a patented score line. *shudders*.. Thank you G-Men. I think you just saved the world.

Greatest ever Super Bowl?hands down, without a doubt? XIII.

As for 2 years ago.......I guess about now, I was just about ready for some sleep .......2 days after that game! It's amazing how easy it is to get through a days work having been up for 48 hours. Who needs coffee.......a Steeler Super Bowl win will keep you going for ages baby!
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -- Jack Lambert. Feb '09 - Hell Yeah, they made the Doughnuts
TeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:33 AM   #19
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiller View Post
This is the DVD I have which is very well done

I love seeing the sideline stuff like when Cowher went to yell at Silverback about a special teams penalty and all Harrison said was "$h!t happens" and also Polamalu asking to take it "over the top" if they overturned Big Ben's TD
exactly the same one i have... i seriously teared in the very beggining when it showed hines tearing... very deep... great DVD... i encourage anyone to buy it... if u see it buy it and watch it... literally the best... and it has an extra of like the entire indy playoff game... o boy was it scary... never watched a more nerve racking dvd EVER

i miss all those gadget plays...
Old 02-06-2008, 03:51 AM   #20
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,293 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I loved it when ben burnt champ baily in the corner of the endzone for a touchdown.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote