Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default 2008 NFL Draft Offensive Tackle Rankings

2008 NFL Draft Offensive Tackle Rankings
Rivals.com

This year's offensive tackle group is an above-average class. The addition of juniors Ryan Clady and Anthony Collins certainly helped the depth at this spot.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
POSITION GRADE B
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jake Long will likely be the first player selected at this position, and he should go in the top 10. There will be at least three first-round picks with prospects like Clady, Gosder Cherilus, Chris Williams and Jeff Otah all possible first-round selections - depending on their performances at the NFL Combine.
This class should have at least eight players selected in the first 100 picks, and the group could produce as many as 12 players who will develop into NFL starters.

Offensive Tackle Rankings

1. Jake Long, 6-7, 305, Michigan
Long is a physical player who has the skills and collegiate experience to start as an NFL rookie.

2. * Ryan Clady, 6-5, 320, Boise State
Clady is a nimble junior left tackle who is prepping for a strong NFL Combine effort after a dominant career in the WAC.

3. Gosder Cherilus, 6-6, 320, Boston College
Cherilus is a massive, yet athletic, left tackle. He has developed nicely and had a big performance at the Senior Bowl - which puts him right there with the elite prospects in this group.

4. Chris Williams, 6-6, 315, Vanderbilt
Williams is a big, mobile prospect who has developed nicely over his career. He graded out high against top SEC talent and closed his college career with a strong Senior Bowl performance.

5. Jeff Otah, 6-6, 340, Pittsburgh
Otah is a huge and mobile prospect who has very good footwork. He has the size, weight and speed to be one of the fastest rising prospects in this class.

6. Sam Baker, 6-5, 308, USC
Baker faced a key week at the Senior Bowl after an injury-marred final season. He performed fairly well in Mobile, and could move up on draft boards if he shines at the Combine.

7. Tony Hills, 6-6, 305, Texas
This big and mobile prospect developed nicely over his college career, but he is still rehabbing a broken leg suffered in early November.

8. * Anthony Collins, 6-6, 310, Kansas
This underclassman is a nimble player who developed nicely over the 2007 season. Collins has all the tools necessary to be a fine pro.

9. John Greco, 6-5, 320, Toledo
Greco is a physical prospect who has displayed a fine combination of power, technique and quickness. The question is if his skills will translate against top competition.

10. King Dunlap, 6-8, 310, Auburn
This very tall Tiger has good footwork and his technique is improving. Dunlap has the power to develop into a potential NFL starter.

11. Heath Benedict, 6-6, 320, Newberry
This former Tennessee Volunteer has the size and skill to play in the NFL. He will compete for playing time on the outside as a pro with further development.

12. Duane Brown, 6-5, 305, Virginia Tech
Brown completed a fine college career, displaying good footwork and technique to play either inside or outside. His versatility will be an asset.

13. Kirk Barton, 6-5, 310, Ohio State
14. Chad Rinehart, 6-5, 315, Northern Iowa
15. Barry Richardson, 6-6, 345, Clemson
16. Carl Nicks, 6-5, 335, Nebraska
17. Pedro Sosa, 6-4, 290, Rutgers
18. Shannon Boatman, 6-6, 320, Florida State
19. Akim Millington, 6-5, 310, Illinois
20. David Hale, 6-6, 310, Weber State
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: 2008 NFL Draft Offensive Tackle Rankings

Very nice rankings and I agree with most of them.....I would have Carl Nicks higher and after the Senior Bowl Nicks stock has risen....

I hope the Steelers get Chris Williams in the first....
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Williams, Otah or Cherilus in round 1 are a must! If we can't get them I guess Richardson or Nicks later on will hold it down until next tears draft....
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
Williams, Otah or Cherilus in round 1 are a must! If we can't get them I guess Richardson or Nicks later on will hold it down until next tears draft....
Barton could be a solid tackle to get in the later rounds too.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

My favorite is still Cherilus.. but these guys are still good

Clady is a nimble junior left tackle who is prepping for a strong NFL Combine effort after a dominant career in the WAC.

Cherilus is a massive, yet athletic, left tackle. He has developed nicely and had a big performance at the Senior Bowl - which puts him right there with the elite prospects in this group.

Williams is a big, mobile prospect who has developed nicely over his career. He graded out high against top SEC talent and closed his college career with a strong Senior Bowl performance.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
MDSteel15
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
My favorite is still Cherilus.. but these guys are still good

LoL How do you rate Cherilus 1st and 3rd?
Old 02-15-2008, 05:40 AM   #7
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

MDsteel,
I didnt do the ratings ole' buddy. Jake Long is supposedly the no.1 guy at OT and I dont see us having a chance at him unless we trade wayyyyyyy up. I think either way if we have a chance at Williams or Cherilus I would love to see us grab one or the other.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #8
MDSteel15
Team President

I thought you had Cherilus as your favorite and then was rating the others... my bad
Old 03-31-2008, 10:49 AM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,774 Times in 2,937 Posts

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story;jsess...o&confirm=true

Quote:
The sudden and very tragic death of Heath Benedict from Newberry College, a young man I interviewed at the Senior Bowl and had on my radio show a week prior to his death, got me thinking about the tackles in this draft. Benedict might have been switched to guard, but he demonstrated tackle skills at the bowl practices and he would have been selected with the hope he could play outside.

In preparation for this article, I had a chance over the past 10 days to talk with a number of the top OL prospects, the men who coached some of them, and the clubs looking for offensive linemen. I think I have a good feel for the situation.

Supply and demand at this all-important position is critical to understanding how the draft will take shape in less than a month. Getting a great left tackle in the mold of Joe Thomas -- who went to Cleveland in last year's draft, was immediately plugged in on the left side and finished the season in the Pro Bowl -- may be an unrealistic goal, but seeing six men drafted in the first round who can play tackle is a probability.

It's time to tackle the tackles.

Last year only three players who translated to NFL tackles were taken in the first round -- Thomas, Levi Brown in Arizona and Joe Staley in San Francisco. Ben Grubbs moved to guard for the Ravens.

In the second round, Arron Sears (Tampa Bay) and Justin Blaylock (Atlanta) were selected but they both moved to guard, and the Colts gave up a future first-round pick to draft Tony Ugoh, who did start at left tackle and had the normal growing pains. This year there is much more pressure to find men who can stay out on the edge at tackle and succeed.

I could make a case that 12 to 14 teams are hoping to come out of this draft with a starting offensive tackle. As rich as this class appears to be, there aren't enough solid players to fill that kind of demand, and that's why we will see an early run on the top candidates. There is far more pressure on those teams in desperate need of a left tackle.

Michigan's Jake long, the top tackle prospect in the draft, looks like he could be headed to the right side in a perfect world.

Jeff Otah, the massive kid from Pittsburgh who didn't even start playing football until his senior year of high school and only had 24 college starts, looks like he's better suited for the right side, according to offensive line coaches I spoke with this week.

Gosder Cherilus from Boston College was the most interesting prospect I spent time with, but he, too, looks better suited for the right side.

Ryan Clady of Boise State appears to be left tackle candidate, but he comes from a school that has never had a first-round selection, some of his test scores are yellow flags, he didn't always dominate the competition he faced, and he left school a year early, which most premier tackles in the draft don't do.

A quick view of the top 2008 candidates: [see link for all ]
Quote:
4. Gosder Cherilus, Boston College
6-6, 314, 51 college starts
Here is a nasty player with 26 more starts than Otah, who ran 5.0 in the 40-yard dash at his pro day and absolutely impressed me when we sat down to talk the other day. He's a lunch-pail guy who looks like a perfect fit for the Steelers but may not get past the Chicago Bears. He's a better right tackle than a left, but he has lots of experience on the left side.
Quote:
6. Branden Albert, Virginia
6-5?, 315, 37 college starts
Here's the wild card in the class. He entered the process as an underclassman guard prospect but is rising up draft boards as a left tackle candidate. Albert told me he was barely recruited in football coming out of high school and was a legitimate basketball prospect. He has power, athleticism, and a mean streak that could move him past a few of the men already listed. Virginia coach Al Groh told me that Albert still made the line calls when he moved out to left tackle -- not bad for an underclassman at a new position. He could be this year's Arron Sears at guard or Levi Brown at tackle.
so is it great talent at the position or supply and demand pushing these players up the charts? seems to be alot of uncertainty of who can actually succeed and flourish as a LT in this class.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,806 Times in 905 Posts

The first things that stand out about these 2 articles is the inaccuracy of them, both minor and major.

Rivals says Cherilus had a "big performance" at the senior bowl. It was a big bust.
Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College: Cherilus was expected to have a big week but failed to deliver. He possesses the size and strength to start in the NFL, but his inability to block in anything other than a small area was troublesome. Cherilus now needs a big combine to preserve being a first-round choice. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...sliders/1.html

That's what I saw on TV too. A guy that was agressive and physical, but had a problem with speed. He is a RT.

At least Kirwin isnt as bad. He recognizes that Cherilus is a better RT than LT, but says he has lots of experience at LT which isnt right. After starting 37 consecutive games at right tackle, Gosder Cherilus moved to the demanding left tackle position as a senior. It is an understatement to say that he struggled most of the year at that position.

I like Cherilus, but have no illusion that he can play LT, so if he is the pick, then I hope Marvel Smith is extended, because I really dont belive Starks is a starting LT in the NFL either. Cherilus might still have issues at RT in pass protection. Again, this is the NFL.com scouting report and is what I have seen in BC film and senior bowl.

Susceptible to explosive edge rushers, despite his timed speed, as he fails to generate the hip snap needed to mirror..Displays marginal footwork in pass protection, stepping behind himself and giving up ground to defenders too often, as he tends to lunge with his head...Has a strong hand punch, but lacks hand quickness and technique, showing inconsistent placement (defenders can slip off his blocks with good cross-face or counter moves)...Slow to kick-slide and shows only adequate ability in this area...Needs to concentrate better on the field, as he is prone to mental lapses that lead to a slew of costly penalties

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...herilus?id=210
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote