Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-10-2008, 01:22 AM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Contract talks with Ben start this week

http://postgazette.com/pg/08041/856318-66.stm

Expect contract talks to begin this week with Ben Roethlisberger
Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Steelers this week will open contract talks with some of their players who can become unrestricted free agents and one who cannot -- quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger has two years left on the contract he signed as a rookie in 2004, but both sides have expressed a desire to reach a contract extension this year.

Getting a contract extension and getting one quickly was one of three wishes Roethlisberger said he had for the offseason during a Jan. 15 interview.

"I'm eager, anxious, because I want to get it done with. I want to say let's go, let's get it over with so the talks can stop, people can stop bugging me about it," he said. "Because I just want to play football.''

His other two desires were to keep guard Alan Faneca from leaving as a free agent and to find a tall wide receiver. Finding a tall, talented wide receiver would be difficult enough, but keeping Faneca is seen as near impossible. Nevertheless, the Steelers plan to make at least one more phone call to Faneca's agent.

They also may make a pitch for tackle Max Starks, but they believe he will leave in free agency. Other Steelers who would become unrestricted Feb. 29 are linebacker Clark Haggans, defensive ends Travis Kirschke and Nick Eason, fullback Dan Kreider, quarterback Brian St. Pierre, running back Verron Haynes and linebacker Marquis Cooper.

Their restricted free agents are tackle Trai Essex, guard Chris Kemoeatu, receiver Nate Washington, linebacker Andre Frazier and long snapper Greg Warren. The interesting part will come when the team must tender one-year offers to maintain their rights; the higher the offer, the more they protect themselves from losing the player.

Kemoeatu, for example, should command a high offer because he's likely to replace Faneca as the starting left guard.
The choice is still grass

While negotiations on contracts for their players begin, an end finally occured this past week to a truly on-field matter: the playing surface at Heinz Field.

The Steelers had several meetings on the topic -- including one big one -- before making it known Friday that they would stick with grass. That could still mean staying with the DDGrassMaster that has been the playing surface for most of Heinz Field's seven years, or ditching it for sod or some other type of grass system.

Dan Rooney has been in favor of grass since Heinz Field opened, citing his players' overwhelming support for such a surface and surveys he says indicate fewer and less serious injuries occur on grass fields. DDGrassMaster is grass that is secured with fibers.
Why not give Madden a chance?

Today's Pro Bowl may be a last of its kind as the NFL tries to find ways to boost interest in its all-star game, not only among the public but its own stars.

At least those two Steelers among the 14 NFL players who backed out of the game had legitimate injury excuses -- Willie Parker and Troy Polamalu. Many others are dubious withdrawals.

But even if everyone picked played, including Tom Brady, interest in the game might not have improved much; it has waned for years.

The NFL may move the game out of Hawaii and bring it to the mainland to generate more interest by the media and the public. One stumbling block to that idea is the players' wives; the free trip to Hawaii is a perk they supposedly do not want to give up.

Here's an idea: Move the game around to cities over here as they do the Super Bowl, and send the wives to Hawaii for the week. Everyone wins!

The better idea might be to select an all-star team but play no game. Plug the players into Madden 2009 and let them go at it.
In this case, walking the walk frowned upon

Could you imagine Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher or Mike Tomlin leaving his team on the sideline and running into the locker room with time left on the clock in a losing cause?

Even in a regular-season game?

No, you can't. Who can remember any coach pulling what Bill Belichick did, in the Super Bowl no less? Roger Goodell should hit him with as high a fine as he can, if for no other reason than to prevent any other coach from doing it.

It is as good an example as any why probably 90 percent of America outside of New England was giddy over the New York Giants' upset of the Patriots.

Now, Spygate is creeping back into Belichick's world. The commissioner needs to do everything in his power to ferret the evidence that, NFL sources continue to tell me, Belichick cheated long before last year's game against the New York Jets.

He probably even had the audacity to tape NFC practices when he was coach of the AFC for the Pro Bowl last year, a tape that would have been watched more closely than the tedious game itself.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Roethlisberger contract talks expected to begin with week

Thank you Ed Bouchette. It's very refreshing to know that not every media head out there is chipping a tooth or getting knee burns over "The Genius". ESPN, keep up that good work. Denial always works.

Quote:
In this case, walking the walk frowned upon

Could you imagine Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher or Mike Tomlin leaving his team on the sideline and running into the locker room with time left on the clock in a losing cause?

Even in a regular-season game?

No, you can't. Who can remember any coach pulling what Bill Belichick did, in the Super Bowl no less? Roger Goodell should hit him with as high a fine as he can, if for no other reason than to prevent any other coach from doing it.

It is as good an example as any why probably 90 percent of America outside of New England was giddy over the New York Giants' upset of the Patriots.

Now, Spygate is creeping back into Belichick's world. The commissioner needs to do everything in his power to ferret the evidence that, NFL sources continue to tell me, Belichick cheated long before last year's game against the New York Jets.

He probably even had the audacity to tape NFC practices when he was coach of the AFC for the Pro Bowl last year, a tape that would have been watched more closely than the tedious game itself.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 02-10-2008 at 10:00 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

Clark Haggans, defensive ends Travis Kirschke and Nick Eason, fullback Dan Kreider, quarterback Brian St. Pierre, running back Verron Haynes and linebacker Marquis Cooper.

i think most of these guys will prob be gone unless they take a small salary.. we have some replacements alrdy for some of them

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I would love to see Haggans back if he's willing to accept a backup role to Woodley. It would be nice to have him as a veteran backup, passing his knoledge on to our young linebackers.

Dan Kreider will be back, IMHO. He is the only true blocking fullback we had on the roster last year. We were starting to go back to him as the starter and then he got injured. I think he'll take a pay cut to stay in Pittsburgh...or just retire.

As for the others, they can all go. I don't feel we really need them. I can see Washington being resigned...but if we let him walk that leaves room for the tall wideout that Ben wants without taking up a roster spot from another position.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
I would love to see Haggans back if he's willing to accept a backup role to Woodley. It would be nice to have him as a veteran backup, passing his knoledge on to our young linebackers.

Dan Kreider will be back, IMHO. He is the only true blocking fullback we had on the roster last year. We were starting to go back to him as the starter and then he got injured. I think he'll take a pay cut to stay in Pittsburgh...or just retire.

As for the others, they can all go. I don't feel we really need them. I can see Washington being resigned...but if we let him walk that leaves room for the tall wideout that Ben wants without taking up a roster spot from another position.
I have always been a Haggans man myself and seeing him back would be great, but after the ability, strength, and speed Woodley showed in the limited playing time he recieved im sure he won't be a Steeler next year, but i wish him luck elsewhere!
Dan Kreider if he does not retire should def. be back next season i thought, but after making it final that Carey Davis is our new fullback Kreider going elsewhere does not seem like a bad idea to have some extra cash during the offseason!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,943 Times in 1,656 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Contract talks with Ben start this week

Hope he gets his contract done and plays his entire football carrer with the steelers.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #7
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

im really nervous as to how much he's gonna ask... i hope he knows that the team won't be able to do much if his salary accounts for like 25-30% of the cap...
Old 02-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

we need to resign ben, and hopefully max starks stays.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #9
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Ben deserves this HUGE deal and when its over 100 million im sure no one will be surprised one bit!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

If Haggans takes a nice cut, I wouldn't mind having him back. IMO, Kreider is done.