Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #21
Steel Pit
Banned
 
Steel Pit's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London, Ohio
Posts: 737
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2140
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers may have interest in Justin Smith and Madieu Williams of the Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
stats.....



you're right, you have your opinion,but dude if you really don't understand the value of aaron smith you gotta study a little more football

stats are not everything, its about how you play and how to win

OH OK, I'll get right to the books Sir.

I watch "very closely", as much Steelers football as anyone in here and probably more than most in here. I'll put my football knowledge on the line versus YOU, or anyone else that wants to go a round or two.

Aaron Smith, in my opinion, is not, has not, nor ever will be a great defensive end.

You say that you see more in him than his stats, "it's about how you play and how to win" Uhh, I don't really know what that means but I'll reveiew some Steelers videos and start looking for it.

Last edited by Steel Pit; 02-12-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #22
BlastFurnace
Living Legend
 
BlastFurnace's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 3,778
Gender: Male
Member Number: 6321
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers may have interest in Justin Smith and Madieu Williams of the Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pit View Post
OH OK, I'll get right to the books Sir.

I watch "very closely", as much Steelers football as anyone in here and probably more than most in here. I'll put my football knowledge on the line versus YOU, or anyone else that wants to go a round or two.

Aaron Smith, in my opinion, is not, has not, nor ever will be a great defensive end.

You say that you see more in him than his stats, "it's about how you play and how to win" Uhh, I don't really know what that means but I'll reveiew some Steelers videos and start looking for it.
With your assessment of Aaron Smith, you already did put your Steeler knowledge on the line against other fans...and it doesn't look very good. If you follow Steelers football as much as you say you do, there is no way to come to this conclusion.

Face it, you will not find more than 1% of Steeler fans that agree with you on this one.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #23
aclark99
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 106
Member Number: 8172
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Justin Smith & Others!!!

Let's start with Justin Smith. I believe Justin would be an excellent pick-up. Even with Aaron Smith in the line-up we just couldn't produce a pass rush. A.Smith is a decent run stopper. With J.Smith at one end and A.Smith at the other end complimented with our 6'1" nose tackle our line would be sured up for the future. A.Smith is getting older and I believe we need to get younger and faster. Keisel just hasn't produced in the starting role. He is better suited for third down pass rushing. J.Smith is a major upgrade if the money is right.

The next thing that is a need is a safety. Ryan Clark is up in the air with health issue. Will he return to the level of play that he was at before the health problem. Anthony Smith is all talk and hasn't proven anything in the league. Troy needs another Chris Hope to assist him. I don't believe that this person is on the roster. Of course, this is all speculation if Clark returns. We need someone who is fast, cover when Troy falters, and one who can lay the lumber on the wide outs in Cincy. Kenny Philips would be a great addition to our secondary in the draft. Lot's to think about and the off-season hasn't even started.
:h elmet:
aclark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #24
19ward86
Head Coach
 
19ward86's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, Ohio
Posts: 1,976
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2717
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Justin Smith & Others!!!

the offseason has started.......
i dont know about drafting a safety, but i like the idea of us picking up justin smith for a small price of course.
__________________
[YOUTUBE]PGrTvNzGCZE[/YOUTUBE]
You must watch this video.
19ward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #25
Steel Pit
Banned
 
Steel Pit's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London, Ohio
Posts: 737
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2140
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers may have interest in Justin Smith and Madieu Williams of the Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
With your assessment of Aaron Smith, you already did put your Steeler knowledge on the line against other fans...and it doesn't look very good. If you follow Steelers football as much as you say you do, there is no way to come to this conclusion.

Face it, you will not find more than 1% of Steeler fans that agree with you on this one.

I'm not looking for support, I have my perspective of certain players, which I have total confidence in, and others have theirs. Although I have disagreed with many Steelers player assessments, Bettis in particular, I've always concluded that people have the right to voice their opinions. Just because I disagree with them, it doesn't mean that they're wrong.

So if it is my 1% opinion versus a 99% oposition, typical factless conclusion on your part, then so it is.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #26
HometownGal
Living Legend
 
HometownGal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Burgh
Posts: 21,479
Gender: Female
Member Number: 2413
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers may have interest in Justin Smith and Madieu Williams of the Bengals

I'd take Madieu Williams in a heartbeat if the Steelers could sign him. He's young
(26), fiery and the only good defensive player that pathetic Bungles secondary has, imho. In 13 games in 2007, he had 58 solo tackles, 2 sacks, 1 FF and 1 FR. With the health status of Ryan Clark virtually unknown at this point, I'd love to have Williams as a part of the Steelers secondary. He's coming off a quad injury, but word has it that he'll be ready to go when camp begins.
__________________


The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:52 PM   #27
paw-n-maul-u
Banned
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 665
Member Number: 2942
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers may have interest in Justin Smith and Madieu Williams of the Bengals

SteelPitt.

man, you are just wrong.

Sacks are a bonus for pocket-pushing nose tackles, like an onion ring in your French fries; Baltimore's Kelly Gregg, maybe the best nose in the game along with Pittsburgh's Casey Hampton, has 1?. Ends in the 3-4 tend to collect a few more, but they are inhibited by their responsibilities versus the run and don't put up the same kind of numbers as 4-3 ends.

Before an end can get after the quarterback, he has to first make certain a draw isn't coming through the "B" gap (between the guard and tackle). The end also has bootleg duty. If there's run action inside, the ends first reaction should be to hit the "B" gap, and if nothing's coming, hustle back outside to contain the quarterback.

"The responsibility of a 3-4 end is 10 times harder than the responsibility of a 4-3 end," said Pittsburgh end Kimo von Oelhoffen. "You're on the edge (in the 4-3). You've got great angles for stopping the run, and great angles for rushing the quarterback. That's why those guys get sacks."

All of which makes Steeler Aaron Smith's eight sacks all the more impressive (Patriots DE Richard Seymour had eight last season). Smith's eight sacks tie him for 15th in the league. Next among 3-4 defensive linemen is Baltimore's Marques Douglas, who has 5?, tied for 38th in the league.

“ It's not designed for you to make the plays. It's designed for the linebackers. That's why it's a 3-4. You've really got to do a good job to get yourself into it, but you're creating for other people. ”
— Richard Seymour, Patriots DE

Smith and Seymour are considered the league's top 3-4 ends because they're strong against the run and the pass.

this is from an ESPN article i found, iwas just tryin to find all the teams that run a 3-4, and it bumped me to this article, only fitting, as if it were like, "copy and paste this to steelpitt"
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #28
paw-n-maul-u
Banned
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 665
Member Number: 2942
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers may have interest in Justin Smith and Madieu Williams of the Bengals

Smith hampton/hoke and Keisel/Smith would be a nice D-line ... and you could definitly put off drafting a D-lineman high this year and focus on the o-line

... which might also give the luxury of drafting a skill position player at RB or WR, maybe even a CB. in rd 2 or so
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #29
BlastFurnace
Living Legend
 
BlastFurnace's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 3,778
Gender: Male
Member Number: 6321
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers may have interest in Justin Smith and Madieu Williams of the Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pit View Post
I'm not looking for support, I have my perspective of certain players, which I have total confidence in, and others have theirs. Although I have disagreed with many Steelers player assessments, Bettis in particular, I've always concluded that people have the right to voice their opinions. Just because I disagree with them, it doesn't mean that they're wrong.

So if it is my 1% opinion versus a 99% oposition, typical factless conclusion on your part, then so it is.
Factless?!? All the facts you need is every game where Smith was missing and where Casey was taken out of the game because Eason and Kirschke couldn't do what Smith was doing.

Give it a break. It's your opinion, but to say that people who support Smith have no facts is ridiculous. Like I said, if your knowledge of the Steelers is so great, you cannot honestly say you didn't see a tremendous dropoff in our defensive play when Aaron Smith was injured.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:23 AM   #30
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter
 
Galax Steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Galax Va
Posts: 83,886
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3287
Thanks: 944
Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,293 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Steelers may have interest in Justin Smith and Madieu Williams of the Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
Factless?!? All the facts you need is every game where Smith was missing and where Casey was taken out of the game because Eason and Kirschke couldn't do what Smith was doing.

Give it a break. It's your opinion, but to say that people who support Smith have no facts is ridiculous. Like I said, if your knowledge of the Steelers is so great, you cannot honestly say you didn't see a tremendous dropoff in our defensive play when Aaron Smith was injured.
Agreed bf there was a big drop off in the deffense without arron smith in the line up.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts