Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-13-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
nojobny
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 5924
Default Patriots have been taping opponents since 2000!

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...ing_spy_tapes/

Specter: Belichick was taping since 2000

WASHINGTON?Bill Belichick has been illegally taping opponents' defensive signals since he became the New England Patriots' coach in 2000, according to Sen. Arlen Specter, who said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told him that during a meeting Wednesday.

"There was confirmation that there has been taping since 2000, when Coach Belichick took over," Specter said.

Specter said Goodell gave him that information during the 1-hour, 40-minute meeting, which was requested by Specter so the commissioner could explain his reasons for destroying the Spygate tapes and notes.

"There were a great many questions answered by Commissioner Goodell," Specter, the senior Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, told reporters after the meeting. "I found a lot of questions unanswerable because of the tapes and notes had been destroyed."

Goodell said Belichick told him he believed the taping was legal; Goodell said he did not concur.

"He said that's always been his interpretation since he's been the head coach," the commissioner said. "We are going to agree to disagree on the facts."

Specter, from Pennsylvania, wants to talk to other league officials about what exactly was taped and which games may have been compromised.

"We have a right to have honest football games," he said.

Goodell noted that "we were the ones that disclosed" the Patriots' illegal taping of the New York Jets' defensive signals in Week 1 of last season. Further, Goodell said, they had an admission by Belichick.

"I have nothing to hide," Goodell said.

Goodell also told Specter that that he doesn't regret destroying the Spygate tapes or the notes.

"I think it was the right thing to do," Goodell said.

Still, Specter wants to know why penalties were imposed on Belichick before the full extent of the wrongdoing was known and the tapes destroyed in a two-week span. Asked if he thinks there was a coverup, Specter demurred.

"There was an enormous amount of haste," Specter said.

He scoffed at the reasons Goodell gave for destroying the tapes and notes, particularly about trying to keep them out of competitors' hands and because Belichick had admitted to the taping.

"What's that got to do with it? There's an admission of guilt, you preserve the evidence," Specter said. As for keeping the tapes out of the hands of others: "All you have to do is lock up the tapes."

Belichick was fined $500,000 and the team was fined $250,000 because of the Spygate incident. The Patriots also forfeited a first-round draft pick.

Specter has questioned the quality of the NFL's investigation into the matter and raised the possibility of congressional hearings if he wasn't satisfied with Goodell's answers. Specter also raised the threat of Congress canceling the league's antitrust exemption and reiterated that in the meeting with Goodell.

Goodell also said he has not heard from Matt Walsh, the former Patriots employee who performed some videotaping duties for the team.

Walsh told The Associated Press last week during the Pro Bowl in Hawaii that he couldn't talk about allegations that he taped a walkthrough practice by the St. Louis Rams before the 2002 Super Bowl. New England, a two-touchdown underdog, won that game 20-17.

Goodell said he has offered Walsh a deal whereby "he has to tell the truth and he has to return anything he took improperly" in return for indemnity. Specter said he, too, wanted to talk to Walsh and perhaps offer a different deal.

Goodell also said he reserves the right to reopen the investigation if more information is uncovered.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
ajs8207
Starter

Member Number: 2795
Default Patriots Cheated on the Steelers

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/...s-twice-durin/

I'm not surprised. Thoughts?
ajs8207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Patriots Cheated on the Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs8207 View Post
I find some of the fan posts amusing. Like this one.....

Quote:
1. When is this gonna end? Let the Patriots be. They already have it down,...the ultimate choke in sports history!!!!!
Easy for this guy to say, he's not the one spending good money on tickets, beer and food at Heinz Field every year expecting a fair game. Get back to me when you spend that type of money (counting playoffs) only to find out later that the team you lost to may have cheated.

So because they lost the Super Bowl this year, all should be forgotten and forgiven? What an idiot. He should get a job at ESPN or the Boston Globe, they would love him over there.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #4
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Re: Patriots have been taping opponents since 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojobny View Post
http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...ing_spy_tapes/

Specter: Belichick was taping since 2000
Doesn't this contradict what Godell told everyone after all the shit hit the fan. Didn't he say there was no videotaping before 2005? What a bunch of freaking cheating liars both the NFL and Beliprick
Old 02-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
Dodt
Starter

Member Number: 4685

this makes me wonder , does anybody care that Sen. Arlen Specter got some money from comcast and comcast has some problems with the nfl network.
Dodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodt View Post
this makes me wonder , does anybody care that Sen. Arlen Specter got some money from comcast and comcast has some problems with the nfl network.
I care more about upholding the integrity of the game. I really don't care who blows the whistle on that pathetic organization up in New England.

Somebody needs to do it, obviously the powers that be in the NFL did not bother to when this all broke earlier in the year. They (Patriots and Goodell) wanted it pushed under the rug and out of the media ASAP.

I don't care if Arlen Specter received money from La Cosa Nostra.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Wow, New England's scandal may go till next year.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Of course, the Pats* fans spew the same old drivel, right on cue:

Quote:
I, for one, certainly hope that Senator Specter continues with his attacks. If he does, you can bet your last dime that Bill Belichick is prepared, and ready with all the evidence he needs, to expose all of the other coaches, and teams, that were doing the same thing, one way or the other, for years and years.
Yep, the old "everybody does it" schtick.

Quote:
Many former coaches have already said it was common practice, not always by video though. For example, Mike Shanahan of the Broncos said they used binoculars.

The only difference was that Belichick was smart enough to make better use out of the information he got compared to other coaches who didnt have the ability to make use of the information.
Maybe that's because the (HUGE) difference between a pair of binoculars (fairly long distance) and videotape (recorded from about 10-15 feet away) is that the videotape is a fairly permanent record which is reviewable over and over and over again. Keep drinking the RW&B Kool-Aid. Dumbass.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #9
ajs8207
Starter

Member Number: 2795

I'm wondering if Rooney knew. He is one of the commissioner's biggest supporters.
ajs8207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:20 PM   #10
Dodt
Starter

Member Number: 4685

i don't like the fact that i'm living in a tainted era of sports . but i am greatful that members of congress are doing something about this . i hope there actions are looked upon with courage not to be laughed at by history.
Dodt is offline   Reply With Quote