Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-16-2008, 10:36 AM   #11
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Re: Steelers glad to let Patriots off hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
A lawsuit against the Patriots has no legs and will be laughed out of court. There's no way that anyone can prove that the Patriots' actions in any way affected the outcome of those games. Any lawsuit at this point is going to look like the ultimate sour grapes move.

If you want some action, call Arlen Specter and Bob Casey and tell them to keep pushing the NFL to give some hard answers. And as much as it might pain some of you, you should also call the Steelers' offices and leave messages for Dan Rooney and tell him to stop parroting the party line and take a stand.
ACTUALLY...you dont have to sue based on outcome... (The outcome is not as relevent as being sold a product other than what was advertised)...but rather on false advertising and misrepresentation. There is most definately an implied "fairness" in regards to the competitive nature of professional sports. Any fan can state that they were misled by that implication and would not have bought a ticket had they known.

Now....even more alarming. There is "legalized" betting in this country and in other countries that live and die on the premise of this "fairness"...What happens if all those who lost money on betting against the Patriots, suddenly want to start litigation?

Hmmmmm...Does anyone else see why Goodell would like to make this "go away"?
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
k7brown
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 5995

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post

Now....even more alarming. There is "legalized" betting in this country and in other countries that live and die on the premise of this "fairness"...What happens if all those who lost money on betting against the Patriots, suddenly want to start litigation?

I didnt think about that. This could get awfully messy.
k7brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #13
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
ACTUALLY...you dont have to sue based on outcome... (The outcome is not as relevent as being sold a product other than what was advertised)...but rather on false advertising and misrepresentation. There is most definately an implied "fairness" in regards to the competitive nature of professional sports. Any fan can state that they were misled by that implication and would not have bought a ticket had they known.

But the NFL could claim that they didn't discover the cheating until after the fact, therefore the product they presented was as fair as it could be.

Look, I'd love to see the corrupt little clan of NFL owners and the NFL front office go up in flames as much as anyone. But if it's going to happen, it's going to take a repeal of the law I mentioned earlier to do so. Any financial loss the league suffers would be mitigated by that same little clan of owners withdrawing their franchises from the NFL and forming a new league. You don't think a network like TNT or VS would jump at the chance to broadcast a 16 team league formed from the ashes of the old NFL? Imagine this setup if you will:

East:

Miami Dolphins
New England ? (Patriots could be dissolved if they were named a co-defendant in any civil case)
Philadelphia Eagles
New York Giants

Central:

Pittsburgh Steelers
Chicago Bears
Green Bay Packers
Cleveland Browns

South:

Dallas Cowboys
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Indianapolis Colts
Carolina Panthers

West:

Arizona Cardinals
LA ? (Relocation or new team)
Denver Broncos
Seattle Seahawks

Just imagine.....
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:39 AM   #14
polamalu82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8234

It seems to me all this hinges on what Matt Walsh may have. In any event I would like to know everything they did as far as taping other teams over the past 7 years.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
But the NFL could claim that they didn't discover the cheating until after the fact, therefore the product they presented was as fair as it could be.
Since the Patriots fall under the NFL umbrella and the Patriots are governed by NFL guidelines...I am 99% sure that the NFL could be held as a co defendent, responsible for failing to set in place any safeguards and checks that would ensure their "product" was following those guidelines.
If the NFL held no responsibility towards ensuring these guidlines ...they most assuredly would not be able to "punish" a team after the fact. The handing out of fines and taking away of draft picks proves that the NFL is hand and glove with the individual teams.
For example...911 Dispatch centers are entities unto themselves, however, over and over again the COUNTY is also named as a co-defendent whenever a dispatch center is sued.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #16
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Since the Patriots fall under the NFL umbrella and the Patriots are governed by NFL guidelines...I am 99% sure that the NFL could be held as a co defendent, responsible for failing to set in place any safeguards and checks that would ensure their "product" was following those guidelines.
If the NFL held no responsibility towards ensuring these guidlines ...they most assuredly would not be able to "punish" a team after the fact. The handing out of fines and taking away of draft picks proves that the NFL is hand and glove with the individual teams.
For example...911 Dispatch centers are entities unto themselves, however, over and over again the COUNTY is also named as a co-defendent whenever a dispatch center is sued.
I'm sure they could. But I guess what it comes to is if the NFL took appropriate precautions and if the Patriots went to extraordinary lengths to get around those precautions.

Bottom line is I don't envy any judge who'd have to preside over that case. A win by fans would mean the probably demise of the NFL as we know it.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #17
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
I'm sure they could. But I guess what it comes to is if the NFL took appropriate precautions and if the Patriots went to extraordinary lengths to get around those precautions.

Bottom line is I don't envy any judge who'd have to preside over that case. A win by fans would mean the probably demise of the NFL as we know it.
Agreed....Which explains why people like the Rooneys are saying its now a non-issue.

Thank You Belichick for being such an arrogant turd that you would let Rome burn around your ears in the search of a legacy.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:09 PM   #18
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Agreed....Which explains why people like the Rooneys are saying its now a non-issue.

Thank You Belichick for being such an arrogant turd that you would let Rome burn around your ears in the search of a legacy.
It does put Dan Rooney in a tough spot. I'm sure behind closed doors he's pissed as hell. But he'll fight to keep the NFL afloat even though I like my 16 team league better than what we have now.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #19
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

can someone say CLASS ACT?????
Old 02-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #20
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
can someone say CLASS ACT?????
Taking the company line isn't always being a class act. Sometimes it's just taking the company line.