Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-16-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
Terry Oliver
Water Boy

Member Number: 8213
Default Draft day

I am looking forward to draft day. With everyone on other boards saying we need to draft a OL, IMHO I have to disagree.
To explain this, I had to look at it this way.
If Fanaca leaves then in the preseason, then move Mahan to his natural guard position, put Stapleton at center let Simmons/Chris K play the RG position, let Capizzi and Starks play out at RT and Parquet/Smith play the LT position.

We have a wealth of youth/talent on our roster for the OL, I would be more than p-oed
if we lost one and they turned out to be a Pro Bowler on another team.

As far as RBs are concern we have 3 young RBs in Billy Latsko, Carey Davis and Justin Vincent. Why trash these guys when you haven't given them a chance to play ?

As far as the offense we have to talent to be great again. We have some very good recievers and TEs to go with a rebuilt line and we will be alright.

From what I saw last year when we lost Aaron Smith and Brett Kiesel our run defense was lost and ther were no capable back-ups to fit in thier place.

Nose guard and DEs are our priority so they can generate a pass rush and Stop the run, helping out the LBs and DBs

Draftin
Terry Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Re: Draft day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Oliver View Post
I am looking forward to draft day. With everyone on other boards saying we need to draft a OL, IMHO I have to disagree.
To explain this, I had to look at it this way.
If Fanaca leaves then in the preseason, then move Mahan to his natural guard position, put Stapleton at center let Simmons/Chris K play the RG position, let Capizzi and Starks play out at RT and Parquet/Smith play the LT position.

We have a wealth of youth/talent on our roster for the OL, I would be more than p-oed

As far as RBs are concern we have 3 young RBs in Billy Latsko, Carey Davis and Justin Vincent. Why trash these guys when you haven't given them a chance to play ?

As far as the offense we have to talent to be great again. We have some very good recievers and TEs to go with a rebuilt line and we will be alright.

From what I saw last year when we lost Aaron Smith and Brett Kiesel our run defense was lost and ther were no capable back-ups to fit in thier place.

Nose guard and DEs are our priority so they can generate a pass rush and Stop the run, helping out the LBs and DBs

Draftin
Welcome to the site.

I have to disagree, In every draft you have to look at immediate needs as opposed to to depth for future needs....
Our biggest immediate need is the Offensive line. I do agree that a little shuffling may go along way.
Mahan is probably not talented enough for the left side and I think we may be better off putting Colon on that side. Mahan should indeed be moved to guard but on the right side. Simmons is much stronger than Mahan so he should get first shot at Center so as to stop the turnstyle we saw last year with bullrushing NT's. Kemo is probably gone...and if we retain Starks, he showed me enough last year to give him a shot at LT..with moving the aging Smith to the right side. I love Marvel but he really struggled against speed rushers this last year.
Mahan is a wave player and we lack any sort of depth at OG...Marvel is aging and Starks returning is not guarenteed..we HAVE to draft for both positions if we get noone in FA this year...and since LT is the most important position on the football field other than QB..we will go OT in the first round.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
k7brown
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 5995

I agree with lamberts-lost-tooth
k7brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Oliver View Post
I agree, but it happens a lot

some linemen are just not suited for the system of one team, so they're cut or traded and they arrive on a team with a system perfect for them and they become good, unlike what they were on their previous team. look at leonard davis for example

so if mahan goes to another team and become a pro bowler , don't be pissed off
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
I agree, but it happens a lot
so if mahan goes to another team and become a pro bowler , don't be pissed off
Probably more chance of me going to another forum and becoming a Lesbian.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Sean Mahan and Pro Bowl in the same sentence is just rather retarded....lol Mahan sucks at life period.....He needs to be replaced from the starting lineup....I don't want starting at center or OG.....Keep as a backup....You need depth and he could be decent spot starter incase of injury....He isn't a full time starter.....This past season proved that...
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
Sean Mahan and Pro Bowl in the same sentence is just rather retarded....lol Mahan sucks at life period.....He needs to be replaced from the starting lineup....I don't want starting at center or OG.....Keep as a backup....You need depth and he could be decent spot starter incase of injury....He isn't a full time starter.....This past season proved that...
Hence the term "wave player"....purely a stop gap until we can pull his finger out of the dyke and permanently patch the leak
Old 02-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

o-line in the 1st..

in our next 5 picks i'll be happy if its any position except K,P,QB
Old 02-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #9
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803