Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-19-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Committee plan could signal end of spying

Committee plan could signal end of spying
By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports
February 18, 2008

While the Spygate scandal continues to be investigated by the NFL, the league's competition committee will again consider a measure that would prevent such an affair from ever recurring.

Members of the committee, including co-chairmen Rich McKay of Atlanta and Jeff Fisher of Tennessee, were scheduled to begin meeting Monday in Indianapolis. Among the measures the committee will consider is a coach-to-player radio system for the defense, eliminating the need for plays to be signaled from the sideline.

This is not the first time the committee will have considered the system. In each of the previous two years, the league recommended the plan to the owners for vote in March, but the measure failed to gain enough support.

However, after the New England Patriots were fined and penalized early in the 2007 season for recording the signals of other teams, the radio system for the defense is expected to pass.

"I'd be surprised if the league didn't pass it after everything we've gone through this year," a league source said. "Let's just get rid of the temptation once and for all."

The radio system would be similar to the coach-to-quarterback radio the offense is currently allowed to use. The hold up in past years is that because the defense doesn't have a quarterback, or any single player to designate in all situations, the belief is that more than one defensive player would have to have a radio headset to make the system work effectively.

Owners were hesitant to allow more than one defender to hear signals at one time. The league believes that it can solve that problem technically.

More important, the league wants to avoid the embarrassment it has suffered in the wake of what happened to New England. The Patriots were caught taping an opposing team's defensive signals in the season opener this season against the New York Jets.

The Patriots were fined $250,000 and lost their first-round pick this year and coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000 for his part in the violation of league rules.

Earlier this month at the Pro Bowl, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said he felt the penalties imposed on the Patriots would be an adequate deterrent to other teams trying the same thing.

"We sent a very strong message to the rest of the league and I think the reaction we've gotten is that other teams don't want to take that chance," Goodell said.

Meanwhile, the league continues to investigate insinuations that the Patriots may have cheated at least one other time. It has been reported that the Patriots taped a walk-through practice by St. Louis the day before playing the Rams in the 2002 Super Bowl – a claim denied by Belichick and the Patriots Sunday. Furthermore, former Patriots employee Matt Walsh has hinted that he has information about the practices of the Patriots dating to that time.

Walsh's attorney, Michael Levy, told the Associated Press that Walsh has tapes. Levy and the NFL have exchanged proposals that would indemnify Walsh against a possible lawsuit by the Patriots. However, Walsh wants stronger language before coming forward.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Committee plan could signal end of spying

Quote:
While the Spygate scandal continues to be investigated by the NFL....
That's news to me right there - seems to me Specter has been asking questions and Goodell has been stonewalling. What investigating has taken place recently?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Committee plan could signal end of spying
By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports
February 18, 2008

While the Spygate scandal continues to be investigated by the NFL, the league's competition committee will again consider a measure that would prevent such an affair from ever recurring.

Members of the committee, including co-chairmen Rich McKay of Atlanta and Jeff Fisher of Tennessee, were scheduled to begin meeting Monday in Indianapolis. Among the measures the committee will consider is a coach-to-player radio system for the defense, eliminating the need for plays to be signaled from the sideline.

This is not the first time the committee will have considered the system. In each of the previous two years, the league recommended the plan to the owners for vote in March, but the measure failed to gain enough support.

However, after the New England Patriots were fined and penalized early in the 2007 season for recording the signals of other teams, the radio system for the defense is expected to pass.

"I'd be surprised if the league didn't pass it after everything we've gone through this year," a league source said. "Let's just get rid of the temptation once and for all."

The radio system would be similar to the coach-to-quarterback radio the offense is currently allowed to use. The hold up in past years is that because the defense doesn't have a quarterback, or any single player to designate in all situations, the belief is that more than one defensive player would have to have a radio headset to make the system work effectively.

Owners were hesitant to allow more than one defender to hear signals at one time. The league believes that it can solve that problem technically.

More important, the league wants to avoid the embarrassment it has suffered in the wake of what happened to New England. The Patriots were caught taping an opposing team's defensive signals in the season opener this season against the New York Jets.

The Patriots were fined $250,000 and lost their first-round pick this year and coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000 for his part in the violation of league rules.

Earlier this month at the Pro Bowl, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said he felt the penalties imposed on the Patriots would be an adequate deterrent to other teams trying the same thing.

"We sent a very strong message to the rest of the league and I think the reaction we've gotten is that other teams don't want to take that chance," Goodell said.

Meanwhile, the league continues to investigate insinuations that the Patriots may have cheated at least one other time. It has been reported that the Patriots taped a walk-through practice by St. Louis the day before playing the Rams in the 2002 Super Bowl – a claim denied by Belichick and the Patriots Sunday. Furthermore, former Patriots employee Matt Walsh has hinted that he has information about the practices of the Patriots dating to that time.

Walsh's attorney, Michael Levy, told the Associated Press that Walsh has tapes. Levy and the NFL have exchanged proposals that would indemnify Walsh against a possible lawsuit by the Patriots. However, Walsh wants stronger language before coming forward.
Kinda like how all the baseball players don't want to take a chance getting caught with steroids/HGH?? What a joke.

The only thing Goodell has proven so far is that if caught you'll get a slap on the wrist. He had the opportunity to send the kind of message that would deter any team from ever trying to cheat again.

The Indiana BB coach is gonna get run out of town for making phone calls to recruits but Bellicheat gets a slap on the wrist and a raise for blatently cheating and making a mockery of the NFL??? Way to go Goodell.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Sorry to deflate your woodie, Goodell, but with the limp wrist slaps you put on Beliprick* and Kraft*, YOU embarrassed the entire NFL and its fans.

Quote:
Whoopee. A drop in the bucket to Kraft* and Beliprick* and the Pats* still have a first-round pick.

Quote:
Want to send a "very strong message" to the rest of the league and particularly the Pats*? Issue Beliprick* a permanent ban from ever coaching again in the NFL and disband the Pats* franchise.

Don't you worry, Goodell - Beliprick* will find a way around those defensive headsets. Once a cheat, always a cheat.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
The Indiana BB coach is gonna get run out of town for making phone calls to recruits but Bellicheat gets a slap on the wrist and a raise for blatently cheating and making a mockery of the NFL??? Way to go Goodell.
sounds like there is a different standard between college sports and professional sports.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,633 Times in 2,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post

Don't you worry, Goodell - Beliprick* will find a way around those defensive headsets. Once a cheat, always a cheat.
im sure Vilechick* has already figured out a more effective form of cheating with transmitters in defensive helmets.

how beneficial would it be for his opposition to receive "interference"* on both sides of the ball?
Old 02-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Great...now I'll get to see that stupid effing green sticker on Defensive Helmets as well...effing great.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
polamalu82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8234

I figured this would happen eventually. Especially since the whole spygate crap. If they do pass it you will see a lot more defensive timeouts this year.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Ya man that is some stupid stuff how is this Indiana coach getting all this neg stuff by the media when we got bellicheat cheating and espn still loves him

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

I have wondered about that for a long time. I figured thats how the patsies had been cheating before the whole taping the defensive signals came up.

Hopefully someone is putting some serious thought into designing a system that can't be tapped into by the opposing team.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote